Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I scored a tag for which I've been applying for 6 years, and my son and I are excited to be heading west in pursuit in mid-November.

I'm a Michigan whitetail Hunter with a few years experience hunting whitetail & pronghorn out west. I am working on PT and shooting skills.

I am wondering if there is a book or two that people here have benefited from reading as new mule deer Hunters as I'd like to maximize the learning experience.

Thanks all,

Efw

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have found Mule Deer Hunting Today's Trophies by Jim Van Norman and Tom Carpenter (1998) ISBN: 0-87341-563-9 to be pretty good. Written in simple terms it also includes many color photos to demonstrate how to glass and spot mule deer. I learned a lot about "scrolling" the landscape slowly to spot game. It also includes some data on individual states but by now is some what dated. For Colorado it mentions over the counter tags which went away many years ago. Good luck filling you tag.

PS Its available on Amazon for less than $10, search by ISBN number.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I think you can learn more from reading this forum than any book, if you can separate the wheat from the chaff.

It seems like most books and articles don't match my experiences, or the set of circumstances described in them was very narrow. Maybe it is just how I hunt...or maybe not. Being flexible and adapting to whatever a guy has to do (within legal and ethical boundaries of course ) is one of the best attributes a deer hunter of any kind can have.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Ah yes the wheat from the chaff... f8 and be there (Arthur Felig)... The problem on this forum is that sometimes you get good general advice but very little in the particular. Also you wind up weeding through various arguments among posters. This book is more of a basic what to look for, how to find them, hunting out West, with good how to photos. I live in Colorado and still found the book very helpful and also applicable to other kinds of hunting. The opposite of most elk hunting books which just seem to repeat the same formula and show you big bulls on the ground but little about how they got there.

It is important for people who have not hunted out West to have some idea of what to look for, such as a buck bedded down in Sage brush or sitting under an overhang. The picture is worth a thousand words. I personally got a lot more from this simple book than I have read on the forum.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Repeating the same 'ol info is one reason I'm not a huge proponent of hunting books for sure...but one gets that here a lot too.

I have not read the book(s) you cite, but may look into them. I still feel talking to the guys on here who know what they're talking about, and also asking folks who hunt in the same type of terrain that the OP's tag would be as valuable or even more so than books. The OP's been around here for a while, so I doubt he'll have trouble finding out who can and can not be relied upon...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Prwlr's advice on glassing and spotting is spot on.
My experience is that many hunters just don't see the deer that are there.
They look for a whole animal standing in a sage flat, or on a hillside, rather than the antlers sticking up out of the sage, or the white butt patch in the trees.
Bring good glass and use it patiently.
If you don't see them, you can't hunt 'em.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks y'all.

At this point I'm taking it all; from the forum and from any books I can find. Have hunted the west a bit have have glass I intend to use a lot.

Goal is to leave no stone unturned as I attempt to learn in preparation for the trip.

I appreciate all the input very much!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Take a look at Mike Eastmans latest book.
It has a section with tips/ect. for every season.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
'Hunting Open-Country Mule Deer', by Dwight Schuh.

Dwight was an outstanding bowhunter, and then branched into outdoor writing. He also wrote a book on elk hunting, 'Bugling for Elk: A Complete Guide to Early Season Elk Hunting', and he together with Mike Lapinski wrote, 'All About Elk'.

The mule deer book will serve you well. I commend it.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
David Long wrote a good mule deer book years ago, sold through eastmans. He sold glassing techniques and useful skills for western hunting, no fluff. He was doing the long range thing way before guys of today who capitalize off of it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
efw
You are certainly welcome to borrow my "High Country Mule Deer" by Eastman. I highly recommend it.
When questions arise, my nephew and I always respond--"read the book".
Heck, I might even loan you an experienced mule deer knife!!!!

If I remember, we live pretty close to each other.
Where you going to be hunting?
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mule Deer Quest by Walt Prothero. Not really a How-To kind of book, but it will get you fired up to hunt muleys!

https://www.amazon.com/Mule-Deer-Quest-Thirty-Five-Saskatchewan/dp/1571572201

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
efw; if you can find a copy I would suggest Valerius Geist's Mule Deer Country, copyright 1990. Not a hunting book but an excellent book on Mule deer behaviour. I believe that his theory of the evolution of the mule deer has been disproven,that aside the content is excellent and the photos are fantastic.

All the best.

GRF

Last edited by GRF; 08/01/16.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by GRF
efw; if you can find a copy I would suggest Valerius Geist's Mule Deer Country, copyright 1990. Not a hunting book but an excellent book on Mule deer behaviour. I believe that his theory of the evolution of the mule deer has been disproven,that aside the content is excellent and the photos are fantastic.

All the best.

GRF

News to me. I'd like to read more on that. Got any links to that info?
thanks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Ironbender; I'll see if I can recall where I heard / read that. It's been a few years at least I think since I heard / read that.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thanks.
I thought it was "settled science" smile based on genetics. It would be interesting to read something different.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Robby Denning (Rokslide): Hunting Big Mule Deer. Like him or not, I think Kirt Darner's books are pretty good from a content perspective.Check out other sites like Monster Muley or Rokslide. Splurge for a subscription to Western Hunter/Elk Hunter magazines. I think it's the best publication of its kind out there. If all else fails, put a GPS tracking bug in SceenarShooter's pack.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
efw, I'm not sure where you're going, but I'd get introduced to the game warden and/or bioligist for the area you're hunting and visit with them as much as you can. Muleys are really bad about randomly moving and wandering around.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Robby Denning (Rokslide): Hunting Big Mule Deer. Like him or not, I think Kirt Darner's books are pretty good from a content perspective.Check out other sites like Monster Muley or Rokslide. Splurge for a subscription to Western Hunter/Elk Hunter magazines......

Yeah he might have been as corrupt as all get out but for pure advise on hunting BIG ,mature mule deer, Darner knew his stuff .He was simply dishonest ;but he knew the animals and how to hunt them....no doubt about it.

I like Prothero........that guy has been at it for years and has killed a slew of big bucks.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
ironbender,

Geist's idea about mule deer origins never was "settled science." Instead it was his theory about a possible explanation for the results of mule deer DNA analysis. But because it was published in a fairly popular commercial book, rather than some obscure professional journal, it got some play in the popular press--partly because it was new and "revolutionary."

Among others, another fairly well-known mule deer biologist, Jim Heffelfinger of the Arizona game department, has written about how Geist's theory of mule deer origins didn't pan out. But Heffelfinger isn't as widely published as Geist, so as usual the first theory was accepted by a lot of the public.

This happens a lot. The notion that searing meat when cooking "seals in juices" was published around 1850, but was disproven within the next decade. But it's still promoted by many people, even some professionals.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 43 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.