Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I just picked up a 22 your old set of 10x42 SLC's and they are back at Swarovski getting a couple issues fixed and new lenses with updated coatings. Given their substantial age I am still on a high that I actually own a pair of alphas.

It get me wondering though, for those of you with ageing alphas and modern, likely non alpha binos as well I'm curious to hear what models match up from an optics standpoint. What features have really gotten better, and less expensive over time vs things that will always set the big guys apart no matter the vintage.
Thanks,
Nick

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi evans,

If Swarovski make a service to your SLC, including new lenses, well, you are done! A 100% New ALPHA binocular. Period.

Good luck!

PH

Last edited by PatagoniaHunter; 07/30/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
Hi evans,

If Swarovski make a service to your SLC, including new lenses, well, you are done! A 100% New ALPHA binocular. Period.

Good luck!

PH

Yup, this is true. They'll basically recreate them into a new binocular.

In answer to your question, the biggest change over the years has been in lens coatings. This helps color quality, clarity, light transmission and ease of cleaning

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I am just a bit resentful he is marking a set of nineties era glass as 'old'.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks PH, I appreciate the confidence boost.

I think I've finally gotten to a point that I won't be looking to flip these for the next "best" thing when they come back. I really ask more out of curiosity to those of you with long term alpha experience what your take on the new mid price crop of binos is. Any out there you find yourself grabbing instead of your first gen EL, BN Trinovid, or Zeiss B/GAT?
Nick

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Sorry JSTUART, of course I meant that bino technology just seems to have come so far since these were made... then again I was 11 when these left the factory.
Nick

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The image on some of the budget binos has gotten really good and sometimes approaches the alphas, but often times the build quality, QC, eyecups, and focus adjustment (smoothness) do not compare.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by evans1010
Sorry JSTUART, of course I meant that bino technology just seems to have come so far since these were made... then again I was 11 when these left the factory.
Nick

Umm, Nick that isn't helping!

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Hi evans,

Good luck!

PH

Having been at the factory a couple weeks back, I'd say PH is on the right track.

We were shown the room where they do warranty/refurbs, and they explained how they try to put everything back to factory specs for that model. However, if they no longer have the parts/lenses that it came with, they have to use current materials. So, if you accept that progress doesn't march backward, you'll be getting at least the quality of what it came with, if not upgraded materials.

They also explained that it was a positive-pressure room, to account for any dirt/debris that came in on optics that had been out in the field.

My guess is you'll be awfully pleased, and can have great confidence in the binocular they return to you.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You cant go wrong with Swarovski. I have owned dozens of Swarovski binos and scopes. I have sent 4-5 in for factory service and cleaning, everyone has come back in like new condition at no charge. I posted a picture today of my rifle on the hunting forums that was blown to pieces this hunting season. I had a Swarovski 6x42 on top of it in talley rings and bases. The scope was torn from the receiver still in the rings and the tube was bent at a 20 degree angle, the eyepiece fell off in my hand when I picked it up. I sent it back to swarovski, got it back in a few months. New tube, lenses, a list of internal parts. No charge. I firmly believe Swarovski has the best customer service in the world, not just optics. Thats why I only own Swarovski products.

IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had a 7X42 SLC that after having them 20 years I sent in to be repaired.The only thing they did not change was the actual frame.Everything else was up graded to the latest parts available then.All it cost me was the price of shipping them in and they were back to me in two weeks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have a 10 year old 10x42EL Swaro and a 15 year old 15x56 SLC Swaro, still alpha grade and I have no intentions to update. A hunting friend let me use his non alpha new bino on a varmint trip a couple weeks ago confused old good glass is still good glass

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by gr8fuldoug
Hi evans,

Good luck!

PH

Yup, this is true. They'll basically recreate them into a new binocular.

In answer to your question, the biggest change over the years has been in lens coatings. This helps color quality, clarity, light transmission and ease of cleaning

Exactly. When my early/mid 90's refurbished 7x30 and 8x30 SLC's came back from Swaro I couldn't beleive how much better they were. I'm not really motivated to go looking for new ones.......

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I am just a bit resentful he is marking a set of nineties era glass as 'old'.

At my age I'm finally getting used to those sort've things.......

cry
Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I got the email today from swarovski. All issues have been fixed that fall under their warranty; new armor, focus issue fixed, and new nameplate. Now for $175 they will replace all lenses, prisms, diopter, eyecups, and covers. Most will be replaced by newer generation parts. Not that I didn't trust you guys but I had no idea they were going to touch the prisms and other internals.

Absolutely no question now, I can't wait to see them!

Nick

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by evans1010
I got the email today from swarovski. All issues have been fixed that fall under their warranty; new armor, focus issue fixed, and new nameplate. Now for $175 they will replace all lenses, prisms, diopter, eyecups, and covers. Most will be replaced by newer generation parts. Not that I didn't trust you guys but I had no idea they were going to touch the prisms and other internals.

Absolutely no question now, I can't wait to see them!

Nick

For US $175.00 you end up with new binoculars, you would be a raving lunatic not to go with that option.

Kudos to Swarovski for providing far more than required (this is the benchmark others can aspire to), and well done to you for letting us know.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hi Nick,

Agree with JSTUART, indeed!!!

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The German made HG series Minox - I have 8.5x43 ASPH and 10x43 - are superb. To the comparison issue, new Swarovskis side by side look and feel the same quality to my hands and eyes.

I was looking for a reason to switch, but couldn't find one. I've used them both extensively and find they hold up to rough use very well, are excellent ergonomically and mechanically.

Can't/won't speak to their scopes or other optics, but these two binoculars are superb.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Here is a site from the Cornell University Ornithology Lab that rates binos.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/bbimages/lb/2013/autumn/bins/Binocular_Review_top_picks.pdf

Note especially the top of the second tier binos, especially the Zeiss Conquest HDs. The clarity/crispness really does seem as shown, that is, in the same league as the alphas.

The Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32, is is astoundingly good, for around $900.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,660
Posts18,455,690
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.