Hop To
Page 58 of 70 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 69 70
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SakoAV
BobinNH,

A guide in an elk camp a couple years ago said he'd rather have a hunter show up with a .270 Win he can shoot than with a .300 magnum he can't. That outfitter hunted trophy elk. It routinely killed 400+ bulls every year.

I've one-shot killed a massive bull that went better than 900 pounds (guide's estimate) with a 160 grain 7MM Rem Mag Partition. The bullet took out his oxygenated blood pumping mechanism. He had seconds to live. The truth of the matter is a .30-30 Win, assuming the identical shot placement, would have produced the identical outcome. Elk don't know what cartridge launched a bullet that permanently interrupted its topside oxygenated blood flow. He knows only that he's dead.

I have a friend who's killed just about everything than can be killed in North America except polar bear. He began his hunting career with an '06, then switched to a .300 Wby Mag. After some years of killing a lot of stuff with his Mark V .300 Wby Mag, he no longer liked its recoil. He bought a Mark V in .270 Wby Mag, and hunted everything with it until he retired from killing big game.

He had at least 140 animals in his trophy room. He's probably killed somewhere around 500 head of big game during his hunting career, many during the 60's when hunters could kill two bucks in many Rocky Mountain states. He also has a grand slam in his trophy room.

Many years ago, my friend gave me what might be the best hunting advice anyone has given me. He told me that when 90% of hunters see a head of big game at 400 yards away, they try to figure out how they're gonna make the shot. Even though he's hunted with a .300 Wby Mag, when he saw a head of big game at 400 yards away, his first thought was how he was gonna close distance. He said that every single time, he'd rather shoot at 100 yards than farther.

From here on out, I'm hunting everything with a .270 Win, including moose if I'm drawn. Add bison to that list. If Yukon moose are killed every year with arrows at 300 FPS, a 150 grain Partition from a .270 Win outgta kill 'em just as dead. After all, no animal can get more dead than dead. There's only one degree of dead, and that's dead. Nothing living remains in that condition without topside oxygenated blood flow. Put an end to that, and you've got dead. Then get your gutting knife or quartering equipment out.

Sako; I know all about it. grin Heard it all.

I have seen the 270 used PLENTY. Side by side with 300's....on elk.

Been to a million elk camps,seen a bunch killed, killed a few myself and dug through more carcasses chasing bullets than I can remember. Been guided and talked to a zillion guides. cry

I am not changing my opinion... wink

And I'd take a 270 on an elk hunt tomorrow about anywhere. That does not change a thing. 300's are "more gun".

Last edited by BobinNH; 07/28/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
have you noted a difference moving from a 300 to a 338 mag with a 250 Partition?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
BobinNH,

A guide in an elk camp a couple years ago said he'd rather have a hunter show up with a .270 Win he can shoot than with a .300 magnum he can't. That outfitter hunted trophy elk. It routinely killed 400+ bulls every year.

I've one-shot killed a massive bull that went better than 900 pounds (guide's estimate) with a 160 grain 7MM Rem Mag Partition. The bullet took out his oxygenated blood pumping mechanism. He had seconds to live. The truth of the matter is a .30-30 Win, assuming the identical shot placement, would have produced the identical outcome. Elk don't know what cartridge launched a bullet that permanently interrupted its topside oxygenated blood flow. He knows only that he's dead.

I have a friend who's killed just about everything than can be killed in North America except polar bear. He began his hunting career with an '06, then switched to a .300 Wby Mag. After some years of killing a lot of stuff with his Mark V .300 Wby Mag, he no longer liked its recoil. He bought a Mark V in .270 Wby Mag, and hunted everything with it until he retired from killing big game.

He had at least 140 animals in his trophy room. He's probably killed somewhere around 500 head of big game during his hunting career, many during the 60's when hunters could kill two bucks in many Rocky Mountain states. He also has a grand slam in his trophy room.

Many years ago, my friend gave me what might be the best hunting advice anyone has given me. He told me that when 90% of hunters see a head of big game at 400 yards away, they try to figure out how they're gonna make the shot. Even though he's hunted with a .300 Wby Mag, when he saw a head of big game at 400 yards away, his first thought was how he was gonna close distance. He said that every single time, he'd rather shoot at 100 yards than farther.

From here on out, I'm hunting everything with a .270 Win, including moose if I'm drawn. Add bison to that list. If Yukon moose are killed every year with arrows at 300 FPS, a 150 grain Partition from a .270 Win outgta kill 'em just as dead. After all, no animal can get more dead than dead. There's only one degree of dead, and that's dead. Nothing living remains in that condition without topside oxygenated blood flow. Put an end to that, and you've got dead. Then get your gutting knife or quartering equipment out.

Alright that does it. I'm buying a .223 rem or .243 and selling the rest of my chit. Why did those dummies ever invent such atrocities as the 300 wby and 338 win mag or even the 375 H&H for that matter. We don't need any stinking big rifles... crazy Everyone knows you can't possibly shoot a magnum accurately. Anything bigger than 30-06 and groups go to hell in a hand basket. whistle Better yet, we should all resort back to the 22LR.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm curious how many who have posted on this thread have actually killed elk with the 300 Weatherby?

I have! Kills 'em dead!

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Bobin,

Yeah, most of us who've been up-and-down high Rocky Mountain ridges have seen and heard it all.

Might just be due to injuries and getting older: I'm not likely to reach for a heavy rifle. An extra slice of roast beef on a sandwich is heavy after miles and hours of trekking the Rockies at altitude.

All I gotta do is put a bullet where it's supposed to go & let biology do the rest.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Hi Bobin,

Yeah, most of us who've been up-and-down high Rocky Mountain ridges have seen and heard it all.

Might just be due to injuries and getting older: I'm not likely to reach for a heavy rifle. An extra slice of roast beef on a sandwich is heavy after miles and hours of trekking the Rockies at altitude.

All I gotta do is put a bullet where it's supposed to go & let biology do the rest.
Yup.

[Linked Image]

.460 Wby using 500 gr Hornady DGX.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
have you noted a difference moving from a 300 to a 338 mag with a 250 Partition?

Only seen the 210,225 338 Partitions used from 338 and 340 but "no" never saw much difference between them and a 180-200 gr from a 300 magnum.

IMO the next "step up" above a 300 is a 375 bore size.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I'm curious how many who have posted on this thread have actually killed elk with the 300 Weatherby?

I have! Kills 'em dead!

I know YOU have! smile

Yes it does.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hi Bobin,

Sako that's the reason I no longer own/use any 300's anymore.

I agree on the "biology" part but that's not what I contended. I agree tat 270 class cartridges are adequate for elk ad other BG of similar size.

But what I said is that 300's are "more gun". I still believe that even though I use smaller stuff myself. smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hi Bobin, Yeah, most of us who've been up-and-down high Rocky Mountain ridges have seen and heard it all.

Well I hadn't. Not until I read this thread that is.

Now I've heard it all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good Morning, Bobin,

There is no doubt that the .300 magnums are more gun than the .270 Win. However, at what point do we begin to confront diminishing returns, when the next grain of powder produce 10% velocity increase above the previous grain? How much velocity will we need to get a bullet into necessary life-sustain apparatus?

The new world record Yukon moose, the largest deer species in North America, was killed a couple years ago with a .303 British.

What my older friend taught me was that there's hunting and there's shooting. While there are times when closing distance is impossible, in which case hunters have to make crucial decisions, I'd prefer to close distance if possible.

I own a Belgian Browning .338 Win Mag. I've owned it for at least 3 decades. I've never hunted with it. It's a beautiful gun, but it's far too powerful for everything in North America. Now were I to hunt brown bear exclusively, it'd be an obvious first choice...maybe. The 175 grain .284 caliber bullet is legendary for penetration. There no doubt in my mind that one would break the largest bear's shoulders.

So, the rhetorical or possibly philosophical question would be whether more gun necessarily means better gun. Well, what's a better gun? It becomes subjective pretty darn quickly.

Hunting is supposed to be fun, and it's often a display of a hunter's personality. I've never cared what cartridge a hunter uses. I would never suppose to know what's right for him. My synapses misfire, though, when a hunter tries to tell me that an '06 won't kill a species of big game, that I'd need at minimum a .300 RUM. Nope. I'm good with a lightweight rifle chambered for .270 Win.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm using a 300 Weatherby pushing a 180 TTSX these days for elk not because my 7mm with 150 TTSX didn't kill them, but because the 300 stops them much quicker. Hunting within 200 yards of the private ranch border sometimes means I want them anchored right now. A chest shot from 550 yards lasts year produced a back flip down the hill from a large cow. So far a sample of 3 elk shot at 375 yards avèrage haven't covered 50 yards combined after the shot.

They averaged traveling over 50 yards each using a 7 RM and 30-06 with 9 other elk taken at about a 250 yard average. Three of them covered over 200 yards before expiring from one or more bullets in the lungs. Hunting near the edge of a very unfriendly ranch - that means a lost animal that would have a ranch hand's tag on it instead of mine. Dead is dead but I prefer them dead in my freezer. I still have to pass on some that are too close to the property line but if they are 200 clear and under 600 with minimal wind they are about to be steaks. That is another 100 yards beyond my comfort zone with the 06 or the 7. I'm a 300 B fan because I know it stops them quickly and hits hard a long way out ther..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by specneeds
I'm using a 300 Weatherby pushing a 180 TTSX these days for elk not because my 7mm with 150 TTSX didn't kill them, but because the 300 stops them much quicker. Hunting within 200 yards of the private ranch border sometimes means I want them anchored right now. A chest shot from 550 yards lasts year produced a back flip down the hill from a large cow. So far a sample of 3 elk shot at 375 yards avèrage haven't covered 50 yards combined after the shot.

They averaged traveling over 50 yards each using a 7 RM and 30-06 with 9 other elk taken at about a 250 yard average. Three of them covered over 200 yards before expiring from one or more bullets in the lungs. Hunting near the edge of a very unfriendly ranch - that means a lost animal that would have a ranch hand's tag on it instead of mine. Dead is dead but I prefer them dead in my freezer. I still have to pass on some that are too close to the property line but if they are 200 clear and under 600 with minimal wind they are about to be steaks. That is another 100 yards beyond my comfort zone with the 06 or the 7. I'm a 300 B fan because I know it stops them quickly and hits hard a long way out ther..

Good post. Some days I do miss my 300 wby running 180gr. Nosler partitions. I'll also admit that the 300 wby out penetrated the mighty 338 win mag running 250gr. pills. It's a lazer that hits like a freaking freight train. Hard not to like the 300WBY. With this being said, I kept the 338 as I enjoy the hell out of it and I know it's a proven elk thumper. I also got rid of my 300 WBY, but kept the die set just incase I decided I needed to get another one. For some reason, I've had just about every 300 magnum made, but end up sending them down the road for some reason or another, while the 30-06 and 338 remain in the stable...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good Morning, Bobin,

There is no doubt that the .300 magnums are more gun than the .270 Win. However, at what point do we begin to confront diminishing returns, when the next grain of powder produce 10% velocity increase above the previous grain? How much velocity will we need to get a bullet into necessary life-sustain apparatus?

The new world record Yukon moose, the largest deer species in North America, was killed a couple years ago with a .303 British.

What my older friend taught me was that there's hunting and there's shooting. While there are times when closing distance is impossible, in which case hunters have to make crucial decisions, I'd prefer to close distance if possible.

I own a Belgian Browning .338 Win Mag. I've owned it for at least 3 decades. I've never hunted with it. It's a beautiful gun, but it's far too powerful for everything in North America. Now were I to hunt brown bear exclusively, it'd be an obvious first choice...maybe. The 175 grain .284 caliber bullet is legendary for penetration. There no doubt in my mind that one would break the largest bear's shoulders.

So, the rhetorical or possibly philosophical question would be whether more gun necessarily means better gun. Well, what's a better gun? It becomes subjective pretty darn quickly.

Hunting is supposed to be fun, and it's often a display of a hunter's personality. I've never cared what cartridge a hunter uses. I would never suppose to know what's right for him. My synapses misfire, though, when a hunter tries to tell me that an '06 won't kill a species of big game, that I'd need at minimum a .300 RUM. Nope. I'm good with a lightweight rifle chambered for .270 Win.

You can have your opinion but it's yours. Cartridge choice is an individual choice based on ones observations, experience, and anticipated future circumstances.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not a .300 RUM then? You get to lose the belt, the radiused shoulder, and you get more fps. Seems like a win, win.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
Why not a .300 RUM then? You get to lose the belt, the radiused shoulder, and you get more fps. Seems like a win, win.

Nothing wrong with having a belt on a magnum rifle cartridge. We know it's not necessary, but it doesn't hurt having it there either. I've been reloading for a long time and have never even given a second thought to the belt on a magnum cartridge. The 300WBY is actually the reason I got into reloading to begin with. Just too damn expensive to shoot the dang things. That was back when a box of 300 WBY was $26.00/box and I thought it was highway robbery. In comparison, a box of 300WM was $13.00....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, how many elk have you killed with a 338 and 225s?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Pretty irrelevant asa sample of one. I'm reasonably certain the moose would have fallen to a multitudes of cartridges, many much smaller and less powerful than the .308 British.

No disagreement there but where the line between hunting and shooting falls will always be subject to debate.

I own a Belgian Browning .338 Win Mag. I've owned it for at least 3 decades. I've never hunted with it. It's a beautiful gun, but it's far too powerful for everything in North America.

"Far too powerful for anything in North America"? While I've only shot elk with mine, including one at 487 yards, my longest shot ever on big game, I've found it to be quite effective. Not sure which two rifles I'll take elk hunting this fall but the .338 is most likely one of them. I will say it is overkill for clay pigeons on the 600 yard berm but they die quickly. smile

Agreed, if a hunter can't shoot a gun well because of the recoil and blast, a gun with less of both is probably a better choice. Daughter #1 is petite and sensitive to recoil so I recommended a .308 Win for her antelope and elk hunting rifle. Until she practices more and can handle longer ranges she won't need anything more. (Since 1982 when I started big game hunting a .308 Win sould have fufficed for every animnal I've taken so I think she is well set for a while at least.) Sons-in-law have gotten a .30-06 as a wedding present with another due in March-April. (That .30-06 is in the safe already.)

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Agreed, if a hunter can't shoot a gun well because of the recoil and blast, a gun with less of both is probably a better choice.

This is a fallacy. I have a 300 Weatherby, it shoots bugholes and of course if I couldn't shoot it, it wouldn't be shooting bugholes. I can shoot it just fine, same as my .375 Ruger, .358 WSM (that one recoils fast) and a .338 I sold not too long ago.

I just don't enjoy shooting those rifles as much as rifles chambered in milder rounds or toting them in the mountains for that matter. Especially during the kind of range sessions where you shoot enough to improve your skills.

So I shoot rifles I enjoy shooting. They kill just fine.

And while it's true that I could practice with the milder rounds and switch to the magnums for the hunt, I see no need to so I don't. It's not rocket science.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Agreed, if a hunter can't shoot a gun well because of the recoil and blast, a gun with less of both is probably a better choice.

This is a fallacy. I have a 300 Weatherby, it shoots bugholes and of course if I couldn't shoot it, it wouldn't be shooting bugholes. I can shoot it just fine, same as my .375 Ruger, .358 WSM (that one recoils fast) and a .338 I sold not too long ago.

I just don't enjoy shooting those rifles as much as rifles chambered in milder rounds or toting them in the mountains for that matter. Especially during the kind of range sessions where you shoot enough to improve your skills.

So I shoot rifles I enjoy shooting. They kill just fine.

And while it's true that I could practice with the milder rounds and switch to the magnums for the hunt, I see no need to so I don't. It's not rocket science.

Your reading comprehension isn't what it needs to be.

The ability of many people to shoot well is significantly and adversely affected by increasing recoil and blast. Although many people can manage their reaction to heavy recoil and blast and limit the effect it has on their shooting, I don't know anyone who shoots better because of it.

If recoil and blast are preventing a shooter from shooting well, more of the same isn't likely to improve their shooting. Decreasing the cause of their failure will likely have a beneficial effect.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 58 of 70 1 2 56 57 58 59 60 69 70

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,967 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.