Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The viewing experience on this site has been, IMHO, getting progressively worse. Video ads that take up bandwidth and, worse, use the speakers so that whatever I’m listening to at the time becomes an incoherent collage of mixed audio sources. Pages that load unacceptably slowly or never fully load at all because of third party ads. Frequent crashes of Flash/Shockwave. Pages that don’t present clickable items and won’t scroll for unacceptably long periods of time.

This last weekend I was browsing 24hourcampfire and I got a pop-up that said I needed an immediate/urgent upgrade to Google Chrome. Bullcrap. Google Chrome updates automatically and there is no telling what malware I might have invited into my life had I clicked on the upgrade link. That was the final straw.

Adblock Plus was the answer. No more annoying video ads or ads of any kind, no more Flash/Shockwave crashes, no more interminable waits for pages to load, no more clickable items that aren’t clickable or pages that refuse to scroll. No more pop-ups. Awesome!

Adblock Plus is freeware and is available at adblockplus.org. It claims to be the most popular ad blocker. Take a look and decide for yourself, but I’m a very happy user and now have it running on two of my computers as well as my Android phone. I plan to put it on my other computer, wife’s computer and her cell phone as well.

Much as I like 24hourcampfire, the viewing experience was becoming unacceptably irritating. With Adblock Plus the irritations are gone.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
After the dozens of discussions we've had here about using Adblock Plus which effectively kills all those ads, I can't feel sorry for anyone who puts up with them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
As much as I love this site, and have for years, it's almost not worth the aggravation! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by memtb
As much as I love this site, and have for years, it's almost not worth the aggravation! memtb
Read the previous 2 posts. Your aggravation is self inflicted and easily curable. I haven't seen an ad here in several years.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As a rule I don't like to encumber my browsers with a lot of add-ins. I saw one thread about ad blockers a while back and my frustration level finally exceeded my tolerance level.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I run ad block as well. Never have any problems with ads or the site running slow.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Trying adblocker+ now! Seems to be working, thanks a big pile! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
As a rule I don't like to encumber my browsers with a lot of add-ins.

Then quit your whining.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Coyote Hunter: I keep reading posts from some on this site about "various problems" - but I never experience them.
I am sad that you do.
Perhaps it is old or unworthy technology of your computer?
What ever it is it does not bother me and I am not sure what is different about my computer and yours.
I suggest you follow the recommendations of some here about ad-blockers.
Best of luck to you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am on an iPad running Safari and when I go to the App Store and select AdBlock or Ad Blocker Plus for a Safari I get a failure message, not compatible with your device, and it will not load. The description on the app shows it is compatible with an iPad running my level of operating software. I am stumped. Any suggestions?

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Wondering what is so special about this forum. I do put up with the ads. However, I don't have to load any special programs on the other dozen or so sites I visit.
I use to run Adfender, but it screwed up my Windows 7

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too bad there is not an app that blocks pizzzing matches.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I access this site on both an iMac and a MacBook Air, using Safari. So far, I get no pop-up ads on this site, although the ones on PhotoBucket drive me nuts. I have not had any reason (other than frustration with PB, which has a lot of other things that really annoy me) to look into AdBlocker. Please let me know how you make out.

P.S. I dropped Google Chrome primarily because it did not block the storm of ads that seem to plague this site.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mudhen
I access this site on both an iMac and a MacBook Air, using Safari. So far, I get no pop-up ads on this site, although the ones on PhotoBucket drive me nuts. I have not had any reason (other than frustration with PB, which has a lot of other things that really annoy me) to look into AdBlocker. Please let me know how you make out.

P.S. I dropped Google Chrome primarily because it did not block the storm of ads that seem to plague this site.

I cannot imagine why you would want Chrome to block sites and ads for you... AdBlockPlus gives lots of options for specific blocking...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Glad you have not been affected. I hope your luck continues.

Both of my home computers use i7 processorsr unning over 3GHz and multiple TB of free disk space. My main system (the one I put Adblock on) has 16GB RAM, the other 8GB. My laptop has an I5 at 2.5GHz with 8GB RAM. All three systems have experience the problems I've described when browsing this web site.

Since putting Adblock Plus on my phone, even it runs fine when browsing this site.

Should have tried it a long time ago.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
As a rule I don't like to encumber my browsers with a lot of add-ins. I saw one thread about ad blockers a while back and my frustration level finally exceeded my tolerance level.

Think of it as a 'custom modification'.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some of the news sites are also pretty bad for ads.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I cannot imagine why you would want Chrome to block sites and ads for you... AdBlockPlus gives lots of options for specific blocking...

Old, technologically naive and pretty much computer illiterate. If it wasn't for my two daughters' coaching, I would have quit computers in disgust when I retired 12 years ago... blush

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
AdBlocker helped a lot on my laptop using Chrome.

AdBlocker saved my Kindle, before adding it the poor thing was locked up all of the time here.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I may have to try adblocker.. I am not plagued by ads, but the letters are slow to appear as I type. The pages constantly lock up I have to go pack to the previous page then switch back to the page I want to read. Could be my computer is old.. Maybe this willhelp.

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

692 members (117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,878 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,160
Posts18,465,139
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.