Print Thread
Hop To
R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Any reviews, good or bad on the Alps OutdoorZ packs?

How many cu in would you recommend for a two night backpack trip. Whether it be fishing or small game hunting.

Looking to get a bigger pack for a couple night stay and don't want to over buy in price or size.

Thanks

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
BP-B2

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no experience with Alps Mountaineering gear.

I think the best value matching comfort, quality, utility, and cost, is provided by Osprey packs. I have an Osprey Aether 70 and an Osprey Aether 85. I would use the 70 for the applications that you inquired about. The Osprey Atmos series of packs also looks good and they are a little simpler, which might be desirable.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I took an Alps Traverse pack on my elk hunt and was completely satisfied with it. I am not sure if it is big enough for a two night trip, but for a day pack and for packing out game it was great.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
A hunting buddy in our group had an Alps "Big Bear" last year, it was a classic example of a dual purpose pack that tried to do "everything" and ended up doing nothing really well.

We didn't rip anything on it, but the day pack bag has no compression straps, so it slops/flops around when its up out of the fanny pack lid. The fanny pack was so-so, but you had the extra bulk and weight of the collapsed day pack that you weren't using. From what I recall, we couldn't reach anything in the fanny pack without taking it off, like water bottles, calls, etc.

I say "we" because we ended trading out the Alps with the guy for our day packs so that the guy could hunt, carry his gear, and have some ability get his hunt in.

My impression of Alps, YMMV, is that they are a lower end bargain hunter type of outdoor gear company. Their products will last you at least one season, but they can be improved upon quite a bit in durability, better materials, and more functional designs. I support the NWTF, they have a number of Alps products in their branded line, I just haven't been that impressed with the quality or the return for investment.

R
Robster Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the reviews and ideas. I currently have a Kelty but looking toward updating my pack and wanted something a little more hunting minded. I have a very good daypack, just looking to get something for the one or two overnighters.

Any thoughts on what sort of size for the application? How many cu/in?

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pack size for one or two days would be between 3500 and 5000 cu.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Robster
Thanks for the reviews and ideas. I currently have a Kelty but looking toward updating my pack and wanted something a little more hunting minded. I have a very good daypack, just looking to get something for the one or two overnighters.

Any thoughts on what sort of size for the application? How many cu/in?

What is "hunting minded" about a sack with a frame to carry things?

Until you step into the realm of Kifaru, MR, Stone Glacier.... The hiking pack companies are significantly better than cheap "hunting" companies.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
The "bargain" hunting packs are just camo pieces of chinese chit.

Lots of great deals on craigs list and ebay for lightly used quality packs. I found a model I was interested in, tried some on to find my size, and started shopping. Bought a like new Arcteryx Bora for about $100.

Last edited by MadMooner; 07/26/16.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Packs -

My normal pack weight for an overnight trip in mild weather is about 30 pounds including 2 quarts of water and my S&W 329PD. About the smallest pack I can use is a 60L and that's a tight fit. I've had a couple smaller packs ... 40-55L ... great for big day pack use but I couldn't make them work for overnight.

When the weather starts to cool or I need more food for more days, I generally step up quite a bit.

My 60-ish L packs are a Granite Gear Nimbus Trace 60L and a Badlands Sacrifice. Each has advantages. When I go beyond them, I reach for an old 1980-vintage Kelty Tioga II external frame pack. My recollection is the Kelty's volume is about 4700 cubic inches but the volumes don't really track because I lash much stuff outside of the external frame pack that has to go inside of an internal frame pack.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
839 members (12344mag, 1234, 12308300, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 78 invisible), 3,253 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,712
Posts18,400,269
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.