Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Never in my life have I been willing to shoot other people's reloads. Especially since I don't hang with anybody that reloads, that means that reloads are by strangers...

I just got 150 rounds of 300 Savage loads in new (or nearly new) brass with full details spelled out as far as primer/powder/brass/bullet with a gun I bought, so was thinking.. well, pull the bullet from one or two to verify powder charge, weigh the rest of the bullets looking for overcharges, and maybe I'll risk it.

Then I check the powder charge he wrote down against Hodgdon's data.

43gr IMR4895 in the cases for 150gr Speers, 40gr listed as max load by Hodgdon.

Yep, I think I'll stick with my no shooting reloads by strangers policy. If I wanted 308 loads, I'd shoot my 308's.

Now to pull the bullets on 150 rounds... ugh.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
and no guarantee that the powder is indeed IMR4895. Expensive fertilizer but safer loads after pulling.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Get a collet type puller, it'll go pretty speedy to break them down.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Excellent advice from the 2 previous posters. +1 on the fertilizer and buy a collet type puller. The only way to go.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, a collet puller will make it a lot easier. And less messy.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Calhoun

I just got 150 rounds of 300 Savage loads in new (or nearly new) brass with full details spelled out as far as primer/powder/brass/bullet with a gun I bought, so was thinking.. well, pull the bullet from one or two to verify powder charge, weigh the rest of the bullets looking for overcharges, and maybe I'll risk it.

I was given a batch of ammo from an estate sale, with all the details written down like that. I won't shoot someone else's loads, so pulled them down anyway, found 3 different bullet weights in the same batch of ammo, mixed together randomly. All 30 cal RN Core-Lock bullets, so the nose looked the same when loaded, but different shank lengths and weights.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yes, a collet puller will make it a lot easier. And less messy.

I use a collet bullet puller but if I'm pulling a bullet that was crimped, I'll first run the round through a seater die just to break the seal. Makes it easier.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never in my life have I been willing to shoot other people's reloads. Especially since I don't hang with anybody that reloads, that means that reloads are by strangers...

Then I check the powder charge he wrote down against Hodgdon's data.

43gr IMR4895 in the cases for 150gr Speers, 40gr listed as max load by Hodgdon.

Yep, I think I'll stick with my no shooting reloads by strangers policy. If I wanted 308 loads, I'd shoot my 308's.

Now to pull the bullets on 150 rounds... ugh.

I doesn't mean they are 308 loads, but once again you show just how f*cking stupid you are.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I doesn't mean they are 308 loads, but once again you show just how f*cking stupid you are.

Wow.

Let's see, 300 Savage loads go 36gr to 40gr according to Hodgdon.

308 Winchester loads go 42.7gr to 46.5gr.

So a 43gr load would be which one????

I'll give ya time to think about it. Use your toes if ya need to. grin

Somebody was hotrodding a 300 Savage, trying to make it into a 308 as far as velocity. I know there are people out there who are velocity nuts with the 300 Savage (like silly gimps believing you need a bullet doing 3000fps+ to kill deer even from a 99), but the cartridge is what it is. It's a perfectly good deer rifle with 150gr velocities of 2500-2600fps with normal loads. Got plenty of dead deer from 180gr bullets and even less velocity.

Powder is definitely becoming fertilizer. Gonna have to pick up a collet puller. The Hornady one work okay? Always like to support a great Nebraska company. grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Wow.

Let's see, 300 Savage loads go 36gr to 40gr according to Hodgdon.

308 Winchester loads go 42.7gr to 46.5gr.

So a 43gr load would be which one????

I'll give ya time to think about it. Use your toes if ya need to. grin

Somebody was hotrodding a 300 Savage, trying to make it into a 308 as far as velocity. I know there are people out there who are velocity nuts with the 300 Savage (like silly gimps believing you need a bullet doing 3000fps+ to kill deer even from a 99), but the cartridge is what it is. It's a perfectly good deer rifle with 150gr velocities of 2500-2600fps with normal loads. Got plenty of dead deer from 180gr bullets and even less velocity.

Powder is definitely becoming fertilizer. Gonna have to pick up a collet puller. The Hornady one work okay? Always like to support a great Nebraska company. grin

Again, you are far to stupid to even begin to try explaining it to you.

Seriously, have you ever been right about anything in your life?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
--

The Hornady puller works quite well, and is pretty fast.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Had a widow lady give me her late husbands 38 Spec and 357 ammo. In his final year he did a lot of reloading but no shooting. Good thing I checked them. According to his data, he loaded the 38s with Red Dot powder. The ones I opened up were loaded with Blue Dot. I pulled the bullets on over a 1000 rounds. Usng someone's reloads is kind of like having sex with them. You really want to know where they been and what thier level of risk is. You might catch something a bandaid won't fix.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Allen917
Usng someone's reloads is kind of like having sex with them. You really want to know where they been and what thier level of risk is. You might catch something a bandaid won't fix.

Love it!

Here's the ammo and gun. Sweet little 1950 Savage 99 except for 4 holes on the side for that Pachmayer mount. I'll load up some 150gr BT's and try it out in the next couple weeks.
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The only gun blowup I ever experienced was with a pre-war Colt .32 Police Positive shooting a $5 baggie-full of gun show reloads. Definitely a moment of lapsed judgement (30 years ago), and I haven't dared to pull that trick since. I've bought a lot of that kind of stuff since then, but only for the brass. My puller has gotten a good workout.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would figure that particular rifle has had more than a few of those particular loads run through it with no issues. I can't imagine someone loading that many rounds unless they had worked up the load for that rifle. Why not pull a few and work up using that powder and bullet? You might find that particular rifle needs that powder charge to reach 300 Savage velocities. I've had that happen before on some of my rifles. If you find that to be the case, you've got plenty of rounds already loaded to last a long time.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
The only gun blowup I ever experienced was with a pre-war Colt .32 Police Positive shooting a $5 baggie-full of gun show reloads. Definitely a moment of lapsed judgement (30 years ago), and I haven't dared to pull that trick since. I've bought a lot of that kind of stuff since then, but only for the brass. My puller has gotten a good workout.

About 20 years ago I talked a bit to a local guy who loaded to sell at gunshows, total novice. He loaded Bullseye in everything including ,44 Mag & .45 Colt. I tried to explain the dangers of double charges to him, but he didn't care, he was getting the most rounds for dollar of powder and that was all that mattered.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Digging out my Speer #7 copyright 1966. I see with 150gr the starting load is 44gr and the max load is 48gr. for 4895.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
That loading manual is notorious for bad info.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or that era's DuPont-IMR4895 was slower. If you look at the book, They worked up the load in a Remington 722 bolt action and say this {one has to watch pressure with the model 99 savage}

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I shoot a Rem 700 in 300 Savage, and a bunch of different 308's. I'll tell you right now there's no way 48 grains of 4895 is going in a 308 case of mine under a 150, let alone the little 300.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,675
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.