-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Only time I wander up into the firearms section is during their Thanksgiving night Black Friday sale, when they usually have their 700's marked down cheap and Remington usually runs a rebate. Make great donors at those prices...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We call them "Tallywhacker's" in Alabama. And their firearms dept. pretty much sucks. But they do have very good pre- and post-season sales.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
Got a Dick's sporting goods opening up pretty close.

Can't say I've ever been in one.

Should I be excited?
not at all

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by donsm70
Dick's is Pittsburgh based and has been around for quite some time. They are not shooting oriented and have never really identified with anything in particular.

They were big into golf a few years ago and even cut back on that. They cover a lot of sports, in general terms, but nothing stands out. They sell a lot of sports clothing.

I quit going when they decided to fold their tent and not offer a decent array of rifles.

Stick with the other options IMO.

donsm70

Once it started to expand it became just another box store, after moving to Pittsburgh from Binghamton they stopped selling handguns and have been down hill since then.

Old Dick Stack had a great store he started at only 18 with $300 from his Grandmother back in 1948. As with many businesses when it is passed down to the next generation their ideal of making it better sucks.

Ted
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They have the same stuff in the Vestal store so probably others as well. Dickhead.

It's just not in your DNA to have an adult discussion without name calling, is it?

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I had a Dick ... or, at least, had one when I was younger. grin

kd

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Skeezix
We call them "Tallywhacker's" in Alabama.

My son marched in there & told a staff member, "I just typed your store into Google, and it sure didn't have anything to do with sporting goods!"

Anymore, I just refer to it as, "Richard's" when in polite company. laugh

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
They have the same stuff in the Vestal store so probably others as well. Dickhead.

It's just not in your DNA to have an adult discussion without name calling, is it?
I always thought you were a dickhead since way back in the Huntamerica.com days. Nothing's changed.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
A buddy of mine got a great deal on a Beretta 686 at a Dick's here in N.C. Heck of a shotgun!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Socks'n'jocks, like Gander or Academy, nothing much to get the excitement flowing. I don't bother going in them any more.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

I always thought you were a dickhead since way back in the Huntamerica.com days. Nothing's changed.

30+ guys all make consistent comments about Dicks. Then you your first comment is Except that it's all wrong. Dicks is great.

Yep, nothing has changed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Dick's opened a store near me back in the mid 90's, it was not a bad store. I usually spent money in there around deer and turkey season. However, in fairly short order, it caused the closing of two of my favorite independent stores. One of these had the best gun counter in the county.

When the BassPro opened up 5 miles away, it sucked business off Dick's, and they began de-emphasizing their hunting and fishing departments.

I stopped shopping at Dick's about a decade ago. I was in another part of town and had an hour to kill before an appointment. I went into the Dick's they had at the local mall just to waste time. After a couple of minutes of searching, I could not find the hunting and fishing sections, so I asked a clerk. The clerk got huffy with me and told me they had no such departments in the store.

Since then, Field and Stream has opened a couple stores near me. This is Dick's trying to play to the hunting and fishing crowd, and they come off as sort of BassPro-lite. The prices are outrageous.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by shaman
Since then, Field and Stream has opened a couple stores near me. This is Dick's trying to play to the hunting and fishing crowd, and they come off as sort of BassPro-lite. The prices are outrageous.

Those F&S stores do have an enormous selection... of things I have no use for, no interest in, or both. The gun counter is sizeable. The number of associates and their competence is not.

The last gun store I entered that was truly, "in business" was Whittaker's.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Was not too impressed by Dick's

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The one in Lake Charles, Louisiana had a petty good selection of high end baseball gloves. I helped a friend's son buy one.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by NVhntr
No.
Maybe if you like golf clubs and sportswear,
No handguns, no evil black rifles.
Sportsman's Warehouse still rules.

They carry guns & shooting supplies, but they're not in the guns or shooting supply business.

The guns will top-out at Savage Axis / Rem 783. White & green box ammo in .270/.308/.30-06. .22lr exists only in rumors.

Nikon ProStaff is their high-end optics.

And don't get me started on their personnel.

FC

Nothing I can add to this.
Except that it's all wrong. Dicks carries Leupold scopes {I bought one there recently} and Vortex and zeiss Terra's. They've also had 22LR's on the shelf in several different brands every single time I've been in there for the past year which is every other week. They also carry Hornady and Federal fusion centerfire rifle ammo as well as Browning, Benelli, Franchi, Remington 700's and Marlin lever guns in several different models. Prices are better on virtually everything than Gander and Bass pro. This is all in the original Dick's on Court street Binghamton NY.

Try the one in Bangor Maine and get back to Me. In fairness, I haven't stepped foot in there since the Black Rifle fiasco. Maybe it's changed, but I have My doubts. Must admit though, if you are looking for anything Under Armor, that's the place to go.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
They have the same stuff in the Vestal store so probably others as well.

I suppose I'll have to check out the Vestal & Binghamton stores to see them at their best.

The more-than-a-dozen of their stores I've been to across the midwest have been exactly as described by all the other posters.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dick's is usually the last place I will go to.

But I do look at their sales flyers when they send them out. Once and a while they will have a killer sale on ammo and gear.
Last fall they had Winchester AA shells for $58.00 a case. I grabbed three cases of 12's and three 20's at that price.
I got some good deals on .22 LR shells too.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I agree with most of the sentiments here. I think Academy is a better box store, generally, than Dick's.

The exception though is if the store they are building has a "Field and Stream" appendage. They recently opened up a Dick's and Field & Stream a few miles from my house. Really two big stores with an opened wall between them.

Field & Stream focuses entirely on the outdoor sports we love. I was honestly impressed when I went in it the first time. I expected the same tired selection of Savage and low end Remingtons and Marlins. I did not expect to see two long walls of guns, two tiers high, with all action types made under the sun. Bolts, levers, semis...Sig, Benelli, Berretta, they even had a few Weatherby rifles on hand. And not just the Vanguards, honest Mark Vs with the price tag to boot. Even had a case full of handguns too; and not just the plastic stuff. 1911s and even several revolvers.

Their reloading section wasn't robust at all but their ammo selection was impressive. Multiple brands and several oddball cartridges. First time I have ever seen .264WM, .220 Swift, and .35 Whelen in stock at the same place.

Typical knife selection on the shelves, but they had Zero Tolerance, KOA and an assortment of Benchmades in the case, among others.

Lots of good clothing too, including Sitka Gear. And their fishing selection is better than the local Academy too.

I spend a fair amount of money in that store...the Dick's store adjacent to it? Not so much. In fact, it is likely that I will never step foot in that store for the foreseeable future.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks, guys. this has been a very enlightening thread. As a matter of fact there is a Field & Stream going in next door, so perhaps that is worthy of a little cautious optimism. smirk

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (160user, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,490
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.