Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm doing a road trip with my ancient brother in mid-Sept so he can show me the Custer Battlefield and some more minor Indian Wars sites in Montana and I can introduce him the fleshpots of Boise. On the way I'd like to stop at the Ruana knifeworks in Bonner MT and see if I want to order one of their knives.

Anybody had any experience with them? If you ordered a knife, what and why? Good experience?

(After Ruana's, we're stopping in Big Timber to visit C. Sharps and Shiloh Sharps. Last time I was at C. Sharps, I ordered a Winchester High Wall replica. This time I'm leaving my wallet in the car! The rifle I got is excellent; I just can't afford another one. Maybe I'll take a few singles and browse their walnut scrap pile....).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I had a Ruana, and frankly was not impressed...at least not in the good way. I thought it was crude and the steel was definitely soft...on the order of a Schrade. Easy to sharpen quickly...easy to dull quickly....

If you want a collectors item, it might be something to consider...but if you want a knife to use, theres a few hundred better makers out there....

( I know...this is heresy for someone from Montana....)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I have one received as a gift. It's nice enough to look at with antler handle and skinner profile. It's kind of heavy and clunky, and as such does not get used much at all.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Mesa Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
These two sound like larger knives than the ones I'm considering, but I appreciate the info, guys.

I know Ruana uses old-school carbon steels, but I like those and don't use my knives (so far, and that's since 1951) for anything that carbon can't handle. Guess I'll just have to have a look and see what I think. I'm looking at the two smallest "stickers" (the smallest one is called "Steelhead") and the second smallest skinner.

When I want a big knife, I use a short machete since I am very used to them. Most of what I use a hunting knife for now is dressing birds and small game, and an occasional fish. I do like the traditional look of Ruana knives.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got Ingwe's a few years back. I like it more than he did grin

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruanas are definitely a working man's custom. I'm not talking in regards to price, but in the fact that they are made to be used, not gawked at.

Yes they are somewhat crude looking for an expensive custom knife. However, they are reliable by design. Steel is somewhat soft, but the average Joe can sharpen one with a little know how, without special stones, without pulling his hair out. They will take an excellent edge. I can't comment on how long they will hold it. I am guessing not the longest, but if you never let it get too far gone, it is easily returned to sharpness with little effort. Kinda like most working, utilitarian type knives are.

Rudy Ruana used to make some out of Studebaker leaf springs. I also have a Jim Behring Treeman knife made out of a Studebaker leaf spring. Both will take a crazy sharp edge.

As far as looks, I guess I can see how some don't like them. I can't say I am a huge fan of all the aluminum. But I see them for what they are. They are definitely unique. And definitely old school. I think they use 1095 now. And possibly 52100 or 5160 (guessing here) for hatchets and possibly Bowies.

I like some of the Ruana skinner patterns (not all) and that is what I think of when I think of a Ruana knife. The hatchets are pretty cool too. And the Bowies. As for their other knife patterns, I don't find anything all that much to my liking.

If I were in the neighborhood, I would definitely like to check out their shop...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought this Ruana Workman around 1983/'84, and have been using it ever since, deer, elk, one Black bear, in camp, cook tent, etc. I have great respect for it and have had no issues with sharpness. Stays sharp for quite a while, and is not hard to sharpen.

[Linked Image]

I'm rarely in the mountains, hunting, camping, or just busting around, that my Ruana is not with me.

My nephew bought a Ruana skinner about 30 years ago and he's done many whitetail deer with it, plus other chores and he swears by his Ruana.

Just our experiences.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had one of the original's made from a leaf spring....bought it on a whim at a gun show in the mid 80's....
I never really liked the feel of it so it set in the safe until I got tired of looking at it and sold it....
The guy I sold it too actually sent me more money than I wanted for it....said it was worth more and he felt guilty....I still doubled my money though so everyone was happy....

They're cool to look at but I wouldn't buy another....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
When you're there, ask why people like them.

Thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 56 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.