Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
as long as its not expandable I would not even worry.

Beware the indian, not the arrow.... applies here mostly too.

RE bones like shoulders, only issue I Have with entry bone rather than exit is how much is it dulling the cutting ability once vitals are reached, I'll never go for bone going in on purpose.... going out it won't matter... whats done is done.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks, that makes total sense. I'm very confident I'll be ready, just doesn't hurt to double check everything. lol

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
YOU, and no offense intended, are the weak link. If you've not hunted elk before at elevation then you have no idea what you're about to deal with. Your gear is fine. Put it down. Get a restriction mask to simulate elevation, and work on your cardio like your life depends on it (because it may).

Gear is the least of your worries; concentrate on what matters.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
BTDT, spend more time running and carrying heavy packs, we did rotations of 50ish, 70ish and 120ish pounds on packs at times... and run... or at least hard stair stepping... I ran bleachers generally. Forward and backward and sideways at times...

Making a 30 yard shot doesn't take much skill. Not being in shape enough to get to where you can get a 30 yard shot, takes MUCH more work.

Aspirin, acclimatize, etc..... exercise. I can hunt moose without cardio workouts... and is likely why I don't elk hunt lately... not enough time to dedicate to the right exercise at 51.
Of cousre it doesn't help that we have fallen in love much more with AK than any other state we've been too... there is elk there too though.... in my future. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used Muzzy 90gr 4 Blade on the last 5 bulls I have shot. Before that I used the old 130gr Muzzy 4 Blade. I shoot bows in the 58-60# range with carbon arrows around 380gr going 260-280 fps. Shoots right through them.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
BTDT, spend more time running and carrying heavy packs, we did rotations of 50ish, 70ish and 120ish pounds on packs at times... and run... or at least hard stair stepping... I ran bleachers generally. Forward and backward and sideways at times...

Making a 30 yard shot doesn't take much skill. Not being in shape enough to get to where you can get a 30 yard shot, takes MUCH more work.

Aspirin, acclimatize, etc..... exercise. I can hunt moose without cardio workouts... and is likely why I don't elk hunt lately... not enough time to dedicate to the right exercise at 51.
Of cousre it doesn't help that we have fallen in love much more with AK than any other state we've been too... there is elk there too though.... in my future. LOL.

You hit the nail on the head. If guys spent as much time getting in shape as they do worrying about equipment they would be much more successful. I ride my mountain bike basically year round (1,500+ miles per year) to stay in shape. Some early season scouting and horn hunting in the mountains helps fine tune for the opener. I'm usually in great shape and can really get around about the time the season ends........It is much easier to maintain a decent level of fitness than bounce in and out of shape. That is much truer now that I am in my late 40's than it was in my 20's and 30's.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And we found as you age, its harder and harder, even if fit, to drive overnight from 200 feet ASL, to 10,000 feet ASL and start going.. Just the dang altitude change is a bear...

I used to do it all the time, and get up and start going, as hard and far as I could, trying to get it going... one time I did a 12 mile loop according to the map, 2nd day up, and did it agian the 3rd day, all running 8-11K feet ASL, and the 4th day I could hardly move. LOL.

As I age, if nothing else, get up high 2-3 days early and even if not hiking, just camping in that air and the body gets used to it. I"ll likely die though, still pushing it as soon as I get there, as its how I'm wired.... but then again maybe by 60 or so I'll learn to chill.

Our great friends in AK, will sit in camp, while we go out and hunt... and relax and call for moose etc.... lets just say its about as common to kill one sitting in the camp chair over the years as it is to kill one in the bush. Though we have a lot more action in the bush. But I digress.

Get in shape, have extra time allowed at teh front end if possible. Aspirin regime starting a week out helped us it sure seemed.

Don't worry about the shot...

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One way to gain more penetration without moving up in broad head weight is to go with a heavier brass insert.
You get the weight forward and behind the Broadhead without increasing cutting diameter or changing broad head flight characteristics .

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stos 160 grn two blade
Grizzley 190 grn Single bevel two blade

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
100 GR Thunderhead

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Slick Tricks or Muzzy's each have worked...

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
125gr Slick Trick Magnum

C
C
Wasp

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Grizzlys traditional
Phat Heads compound
Oregon

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use Rocky Mountain. 125 Bought 100 of them plus a 100 replacement blades years ago. I have had good luck with them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

721 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,144
Posts18,464,915
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.