Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
That could offer advice on an engine rebuild?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What make and model?
What's wrong with it? Top end or bottom and top?

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It's a 2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 750.

Not sure exactly what is wrong. It has had an overheating problem and it ran low on oil. The motor has a knock. Spun rod bearing??

Last edited by Rooster7; 08/04/16.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to hear that.
That engine is notorious for overheating and burning oil resulting in dusted main bearings and scuffed pistons.
Not a easy or cheap job.

Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Sorry to hear that.
That engine is notorious for overheating and burning oil resulting in dusted main bearings and scuffed pistons.
Not a easy or cheap job.

That's what I was afraid of

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ATV engines, since they have an integral transmission, are rather complex systems. However, if you're handy with mechanical kinds of things and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, there is a lot that one can do in terms of overhaul and repair of these engines. I would start with the OEM service manual for that particular machine. (The factory produces a much better manual than the after-market publishers do/ good illustrations beat the best photographs too.)

The factory manual will also clue you in on specific tools you might need to remove clutches, flywheel, or other parts specific to that machine.

It might also be worth viewing parts fiche screens online if you have some idea about what might need replacing, worst-case scenario anyway.

If that is not an option for you, a service dealer for your particular machine should be able to give you a labor estimate for doing a full-open engine overhaul. I would expect you'll be looking at upwards of $1000 labor for a full teardown.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
ATV engines, since they have an integral transmission, are rather complex systems. However, if you're handy with mechanical kinds of things and aren't afraid to get your hands dirty, there is a lot that one can do in terms of overhaul and repair of these engines. I would start with the OEM service manual for that particular machine. (The factory produces a much better manual than the after-market publishers do/ good illustrations beat the best photographs too.)

The factory manual will also clue you in on specific tools you might need to remove clutches, flywheel, or other parts specific to that machine.

It might also be worth viewing parts fiche screens online if you have some idea about what might need replacing, worst-case scenario anyway.

If that is not an option for you, a service dealer for your particular machine should be able to give you a labor estimate for doing a full-open engine overhaul. I would expect you'll be looking at upwards of $1000 labor for a full teardown.

I've spoken to one place that works on all recreation toys and they told me it would be "thousands" to repair.

I found rebuilt engines on ebay but they are almost 3 grand just for the engine.

I'm debating if I should just sell it as parts salvage machine. The rest of it is in good to excellent condition and its the NRA edition with full camo.

If I went that route, what would be a reasonable price to ask for it?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
had one at work always overheated shot craps had rebuilt, lasted maybe a month, new engine same thing , they got tired of the money pit and sold it at the conservation junk sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
had one at work always overheated

I have a 2005 (I think) Honda Rancher that gets so hot that it burns your legs when riding it for very long if you go slow. Fan works and everything but it gets uncomfortable quick. I hate the damn thing. It is not nearly the machine as the old Honda that I had with the different engine style. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you rebuild or replace the engine it will just melt down again. If you brought it to me I would tell you that I don't want to waste your money or my time on it.
Put a ad on CL and say it runs but needs motor work. Cut your losses and move on.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, powerful machine, but laden with engine woes.

Move on to something reliable.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Rooster, have you checked in here? FYI, guys have saved my bacon more than once.

http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-brute-force-prairie-bayou/

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by idnative1948
Rooster, have you checked in here? FYI, guys have saved my bacon more than once.

http://www.kawieriders.com/forum/kawasaki-brute-force-prairie-bayou/

I just saw this post. I'll check it out. Thank you!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Best thing I ever saw happen to one of those!! Kid spot spraying for me in tall grass pulls his prairie in, was red hot, went to the water cooler gets Quart of ice water pours it in, engine totally grenades right there. once again that one went right straight to the conservation junk auction!!

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mohick
Best thing I ever saw happen to one of those!! Kid spot spraying for me in tall grass pulls his prairie in, was red hot, went to the water cooler gets Quart of ice water pours it in, engine totally grenades right there. once again that one went right straight to the conservation junk auction!!

I believe it. I could have fried chicken on my rear fenders some days

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 7mm_Loco, 13 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.