Print Thread
Hop To
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
What you guys using? I'very tried a few different ones over the years,all have strengths and weaknesses. Need new ones this year so trying to figure out what works best.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive tried several of the various brands, I guess I default to the Luminoks. You can replace the batteries with them.

I used nocturnals as well, they are fantastic in every way. I only struggle to get that little switch to turn off at times. It's not that easy for me to find a handy tiny little tool to move the switch off.

I don't know of a better design, so it's not a compliant just an observation that its is difficult to shut them off in the field after I pick them up. I have only had a couple arrows remain in game that ran off with the lighted nock. Seeing them going through the bush some distance and then stopping so recovery of game is quite easy as you can see where they fall. However very few of my arrows have ever remained in the animal.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Green Lumenocks here....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nocturnals here - I usually have a blade in my pocket, so turning them off can be done without too much hassle.

They have fit and worked the best for me, pretty much running all Carbon Express and a few Easton FMJs. I haven't had any that wanted to work loose and fall out.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lumenocks. Gave one to the neighbor kid that still lights up, picked it up in '07.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Maybe they changed the design but I used to use the tip of another field point to turn them off. Can't do that anymore? Wasn't aware that you could change batteries on the Lumenoks, definitely a nice feature.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes - a field point works if you have the tips with the double taper, the "fatheads" and similar types won't work very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer Nocturnals.

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If u want the very best, firenock. They have no equal. They are however pricey

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd echo what AH64guy says. Plus, I think they've made me a better shot and I know they've made me a better tracker!

Last edited by Bobmar; 08/03/16.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How does a lighted knock make you a better tracker? Simply curious.

I could kinda get making a better shot possibly, but not sure how makes a better tracker?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simple...I just follow the light! Sorry, I thought that was funny when I wrote it but I figured people would understand what I meant. It was at the end of a long day....

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have used Nocturnals and they have performed well. Have not tried other brands.

NRA Patron
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
It was funny, sometimes things are taken a bit too literal in the reading...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just use glow in dark paint on my arrows. One small $6 jar will do a whole lot of arrows. I refresh it before each season and/or periodically.........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been wrapping my arrows with reflective zebra stripe wrap. With the Lighted nock it's a hella bright and easy to follow flight. Even if the lighted nock goes out, in the dark with a flash light that reflective wrap shines as if it's lit up from a power source.

Generally in the middle of the bush there is nothing reflective, just dull natural colors. When you sweep with the light that reflective wrap lights right up!

I have used the glow in the dark paint, it does not stay lit long after it gets dark, and if you use a lot it's bright and glowing when you want yourself to be hidden. It's aways on once charged with a light source, or daylight. Just for my personal opinion and needs, it's been a nonfunctional application.

I hunt pigs at night, sometimes only shooting at midnight many hours after sunset on dark black nights. Lighted nocks are fantastic to see impacts in these conditions, as well as follow up and tracking the direction of the lighted nocks travel.

There is more the story hunting in complete darkness then just a lighted nock though. Other bits of gear are required to manage this. Surprisingly cheap easy to get stuff, not expensive night vision equipment, way less expensive and even better then night vision.

I do think the Nocturnals are a higher quality better made all around nock. just the switch that is tough at times, in the dark, looking for my glasses, and some tiny thing to fit in the hole to open the switch is annoying but I'm nit picking.

The Luminocks are as simple as possible to actuate and turn off. However they are not always as 100% dependable as the Nocturnals. They have also turned off on my after the shot as the nock is beat about the bush sticking out of the animal and comes loose. Or after a clean pass through as the nock gets bumped and banged and turns off.

I have a lot of them now of several kinds. If I were to buy new ones, I have a feeling I would buy nocturnals today.
I really like the Blue ones. Lighted nocks make your videos so much more fun to watch. Watching the shots in slo-mo with the streak of light from your bow to the animal is just plain "cool".

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JJHACK

There is more the story hunting in complete darkness then just a lighted nock though. Other bits of gear are required to manage this. Surprisingly cheap easy to get stuff, not expensive night vision equipment, way less expensive and even better than night vision.

Can you make a thread and expand on this. I'd love to hear all about it.

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've tried just about all of them. Ive for 4 yr old nocturnals that still shine bright

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I take a heavy duty safety pin and pin in to my Harness so I always have it handy if I need to shut off a lite nock....Did get caught in a downpour while hunting in Illinois couple of years back and three or four of my nocks shorted out and lite up like a Xmas ornament...cant remember what brand though.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
390 members (204guy, 280shooter, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 46 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.