Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm finalizing my next safari, which will be to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia is '18. Was going to do the classic buff and plains game, but you know how these things go. Do I do a cat? Maybe it all closes and I never get back. Cat and/or sable? Actually, I'm not so sure that is a rich sable area.

Of course, the limiting factor for all of us non Rockefellers is the expense. The good news, I already have bagged both. Bad news, I enjoyed it so much I want to do it again. Better news, I'm at the point in my safari career where 16 days in the bush is more important that length of horn or size. Not enough "Africa" left for my liking.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I would go for a leopard.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would go for a leopard.

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would go for sable and, if successful, have it done up in a pedestal mount. There few, if any, better taxidermy mounts than that.

RS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leopard. Sable will always be open.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Leopard gets my vote too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy Jeff, trying hard to make this happen for me too. I agree on the cat. Will you be able to hunt at night over bait or daylight hours only? In any case you could hunt PG during the day and then the typical Cat drill, look for baits that have been hit then sit late afternoon/early morning if it's a daylight only hunt. What other species of PG are available that you might not have but want? There's always another kudu and of course my favorites, Warties and Bushpigs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In 18, if Trump then Leopard. If Hillary, then Sable as Leopard will be non-importable.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sable. Short of hogs, I cannot and will not hunt from a blind.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
There are no other options for leopards. Lions, yes although tough to "walk up", but leopard? NEVER

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Drove up to, two Leopards today in Kruger. It's amazing how close they will get when they are not hunted. On a side note, Leopard was captured at the hotel I am currently at and released into Kruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zim leopards are BIG! There are good sable around Chinoi, however. whistle

DANG! I wish I had your problem, and you had mine right now.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
You noted that you will be hunting Zambia and that you have already taken both Leopard and Sable. Consider another Leopard but pair that with the Sable's close relative - Roan. A Roan would make a great addition to your Sable and the trophy quality is high in Zambia.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good call Pinot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OOPS!

Just saw it was Zambia! shocked

They have MONSTER sable. cool

(I'm having eye troubles and just got back from the doc...dilated... crazy )

Last edited by luv2safari; 08/05/16.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Hunting leopard from a blind is very boring. It leaves you tired and groggy during the day.
If you really want a big leopard it will hurt the day-to-day hunting.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pinotguy
You noted that you will be hunting Zambia and that you have already taken both Leopard and Sable. Consider another Leopard but pair that with the Sable's close relative - Roan. A Roan would make a great addition to your Sable and the trophy quality is high in Zambia.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Since this is the internet, I'd say to "Get both!"

I'm going to Zambia (Kafue) next year for leopard, sable and hippo for bait. But regardless, the cat is the priority!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Get the lechwe!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hatari, I understand about the costs involved, but what about doing a Leopard with hounds?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,080
Posts18,463,886
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.