Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm finalizing my next safari, which will be to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia is '18. Was going to do the classic buff and plains game, but you know how these things go. Do I do a cat? Maybe it all closes and I never get back. Cat and/or sable? Actually, I'm not so sure that is a rich sable area.

Of course, the limiting factor for all of us non Rockefellers is the expense. The good news, I already have bagged both. Bad news, I enjoyed it so much I want to do it again. Better news, I'm at the point in my safari career where 16 days in the bush is more important that length of horn or size. Not enough "Africa" left for my liking.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I would go for a leopard.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I would go for a leopard.

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would go for sable and, if successful, have it done up in a pedestal mount. There few, if any, better taxidermy mounts than that.

RS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leopard. Sable will always be open.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Leopard gets my vote too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy Jeff, trying hard to make this happen for me too. I agree on the cat. Will you be able to hunt at night over bait or daylight hours only? In any case you could hunt PG during the day and then the typical Cat drill, look for baits that have been hit then sit late afternoon/early morning if it's a daylight only hunt. What other species of PG are available that you might not have but want? There's always another kudu and of course my favorites, Warties and Bushpigs.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
In 18, if Trump then Leopard. If Hillary, then Sable as Leopard will be non-importable.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sable. Short of hogs, I cannot and will not hunt from a blind.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There are no other options for leopards. Lions, yes although tough to "walk up", but leopard? NEVER

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Drove up to, two Leopards today in Kruger. It's amazing how close they will get when they are not hunted. On a side note, Leopard was captured at the hotel I am currently at and released into Kruger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Zim leopards are BIG! There are good sable around Chinoi, however. whistle

DANG! I wish I had your problem, and you had mine right now.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
You noted that you will be hunting Zambia and that you have already taken both Leopard and Sable. Consider another Leopard but pair that with the Sable's close relative - Roan. A Roan would make a great addition to your Sable and the trophy quality is high in Zambia.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good call Pinot!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OOPS!

Just saw it was Zambia! shocked

They have MONSTER sable. cool

(I'm having eye troubles and just got back from the doc...dilated... crazy )

Last edited by luv2safari; 08/05/16.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Hunting leopard from a blind is very boring. It leaves you tired and groggy during the day.
If you really want a big leopard it will hurt the day-to-day hunting.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pinotguy
You noted that you will be hunting Zambia and that you have already taken both Leopard and Sable. Consider another Leopard but pair that with the Sable's close relative - Roan. A Roan would make a great addition to your Sable and the trophy quality is high in Zambia.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Since this is the internet, I'd say to "Get both!"

I'm going to Zambia (Kafue) next year for leopard, sable and hippo for bait. But regardless, the cat is the priority!

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Get the lechwe!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hatari, I understand about the costs involved, but what about doing a Leopard with hounds?

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
At Kruger for a second day, Leopard walk right up to vehicle. Could have reached out the side and touch it. Not so sure they you have to sit sit in a blind all day to hunt Leopard, maybe it's just park Leopards that you can just drive.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Leopard

A lion does not concern himself with the opinions of the sheep.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
Of course, the limiting factor for all of us non Rockefellers is the expense. The good news, I already have bagged both. Bad news, I enjoyed it so much I want to do it again. Better news, I'm at the point in my safari career where 16 days in the bush is more important that length of horn or size. Not enough "Africa" left for my liking.

I'd go with whichever makes a smaller mount otherwise you're going to have to add in the expense of expanding your trophy room! grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs

I'd go with whichever makes a smaller mount otherwise you're going to have to add in the expense of expanding your trophy room! grin

Guest bedroom needs decorating,,,,,,,

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by pinotguy

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

THIS!!!

Great idea, Mr. Roan is a little tougher to find.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Do you need a leopard to complete your Big Five? if so, the answer is obvious.

As you undoubtedly know, leopard hunting is quite technical and not always successful It took three (3) safaris before I got a leopard.

Boils down to what you want more in your trophy room, I suppose.

I don't recommend a buff/leopard hunt together. It can be done, but reduces your chances of success on either.

For best chances of success, IMO, a leopard hunt should be a single purpose exercise. Shooting and hanging baits, refreshing baits, building blinds and sitting in the blind are all time consuming endeavors.

Your best chances of success are in an area that permits hunting at night.

Lou Hallmore's book "Chui" is very informative.

Good hunting!

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Do you need a leopard to complete your Big Five? if so, the answer is obvious.

As you undoubtedly know, leopard hunting is quite technical and not always successful It took three (3) safaris before I got a leopard.

Boils down to what you want more in your trophy room, I suppose.

I don't recommend a buff/leopard hunt together. It can be done, but reduces your chances of success on either.

For best chances of success, IMO, a leopard hunt should be a single purpose exercise. Shooting and hanging baits, refreshing baits, building blinds and sitting in the blind are all time consuming endeavors.

Your best chances of success are in an area that permits hunting at night.

Lou Hallmore's book "Chui" is very informative.

Good hunting!

I've been blessed enough to have gotten in some good hunting starting early on. No Big 5. Rhino and lion are stupid expensive. Helps to be lucky in the bush (and shoot straight). smile

Been 7-8 years since my last Africa trip, but I've got the itch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice leopard,bongo and that's a great buffalo bull!

Info on the double rifle please.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
.450/.400 Jeffery's built in 1909. Wonderfully balanced and pleasant to shoot.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thanks Hatari. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I offered a very tall, busty blonde in exchange for that double. It's truly a joy to shoulder.. smile

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BWAHAHAH, You're gonna get punched in the ribs if she reads that. grin

Hatari, BOTH!

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As she reminds me, she is the keeper of the 51/100 rule. She is not only 51% of the population but one 100 % of the pussy! smile

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And the snatch remains undefeated. Our kryptonite.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great bongo, Jeff! One of the few critters I believe should be a full-body mount every time. And that buff... whoof!

Anyways, back to the topic... I'd do the leopard, for the same reason as others have posted, i.e., it's questionable whether leopards will be huntable in the not too distant future. Better get one while you can!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
BMD Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sable, Roan, Leopard, Lechwe and be good smile

Scott

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great pics Jeff!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by hatari
I'm finalizing my next safari, which will be to the Luangwa Valley in Zambia is '18. Was going to do the classic buff and plains game, but you know how these things go. Do I do a cat? Maybe it all closes and I never get back. Cat and/or sable? Actually, I'm not so sure that is a rich sable area.

Couple things to consider. The use of artificial light isn't legal in Zambia (in the GMA's)
Also, Sable isn't available in all of the Luangwa Valley. I've hunted extensively in Nyaminga, Chanjuzi and have spent non-hunting time in Chifunda, right next door to Nyaminga. I killed a 44" Sable in the Tondwa concession which is extreme NE Zambia right up near Tanzania.

There are some fabulous Sable area's to be found in other Zambia area's. The Kafue GMA's are the best for big (44"+)

I agree that a Roan would be a really nice adder since I guess you have both a Sable and Leopard previously?

There are other Zambia only animals to consider also, Cookson's Wildebeest, only found in the Luangwa Valley. Be sure to shoot a Puku and if the time and money hold out a trip to Bangweulu Swamp for a Black Lechwe and the Kafue Flats for a Kafue Lechwe, both totally unique to Zambia. Neither are too time consuming and more of a collecting trip than a hunt.

The Luangwa valley's Leopard concentration is remarkable, you should have no trouble killing a Leopard there as long as you're with a good operator in one of the decent area's.

My original reason for responding to you is Sitatunga. If you are going to Zambia and you've killed the Sable and Leopard, I really recommend a Sitatunga. My opinion it is the finest and most unique Spiral Horned Antelope to hunt in the world. Their habitat and nocturnal nature make hunting them a true game of chess mixed with cat and mouse, with a bit of a hippo hunt thrown in.

Whatever you decide best of luck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering where you're going leopard ALL DAY LONG!

Tremendous cats there.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Had a chance to leopard hunt for the trophy fee only when in Zim 2 years ago, with a PH in the party who has at least 120 in the bag by now. But I was there for ele and passed on the leopard. The cats have not called to me on either side of the Atlantic so far. YMMV

I'd go for the sable, but I'm biased as I hope to have a chance at one before kicking the bucket for the last time. I know you're headed to Zambia but if I were after a great sable I'd look at Moz Coutada10. Plentiful and quite good horns. Out party brought back 3 in in 12 days, including one with a bow. Just my 2 cents as I near the dusk of a hunting career.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

Also, Sable isn't available in all of the Luangwa Valley. I've hunted extensively in Nyaminga, Chanjuzi and have spent non-hunting time in Chifunda, right next door to Nyaminga. I killed a 44" Sable in the Tondwa concession which is extreme NE Zambia right up near Tanzania.

There are some fabulous Sable area's to be found in other Zambia area's. The Kafue GMA's are the best for big (44"+)

I agree that a Roan would be a really nice adder since I guess you have both a Sable and Leopard previously?

There are other Zambia only animals to consider also, Cookson's Wildebeest, only found in the Luangwa Valley. Be sure to shoot a Puku and if the time and money hold out a trip to Bangweulu Swamp for a Black Lechwe and the Kafue Flats for a Kafue Lechwe, both totally unique to Zambia. Neither are too time consuming and more of a collecting trip than a hunt.

The Luangwa valley's Leopard concentration is remarkable, you should have no trouble killing a Leopard there as long as you're with a good operator in one of the decent area's.

My original reason for responding to you is Sitatunga. If you are going to Zambia and you've killed the Sable and Leopard, I really recommend a Sitatunga. My opinion it is the finest and most unique Spiral Horned Antelope to hunt in the world. Their habitat and nocturnal nature make hunting them a true game of chess mixed with cat and mouse, with a bit of a hippo hunt thrown in.

Whatever you decide best of luck.

We've talked about going up to Bangweulu for sitatunga and Black lechwe, but I've wanted to do Luangwa forever, it seems.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Leopard is exciting but the prep for it in baiting can take away some of the fun if you are determined to focus on the cat and if you are on a leopard hunt you are comitted to focusing on it. Luckily you will not make a bad decision as either way you will find your way back to Africa.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good point!!!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hunt sable during the day and leopard at night....maximize your hunt time

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I hunted Luangwa with Luangwa Safaris back in the day when Capstick was just getting started with them. I won't go into how amusing that was again, not now anyway.
However, Luangwa was a wonderful place and, to a great extent, still is.
Our area did not have sable and male roan were not seen. In the words of John Wooters, even where there's a lot of roan, there's not a lot of roan. Of course John was talking about jaguars, but I've found it's a pretty good description for quite a few desirable species.
I'd go back in a minute but would eschew the leopard and also try to take in some of the other areas mentioned for more species. But a hunt centered around Luangwa is never a bad choice. BTW Jack Acheson Sr. is who talked me into going to Luangwa and I remain grateful to this day.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
In 18, if Trump then Leopard. If Hillary, then Sable as Leopard will be non-importable.

Good points here
I would go for the cat, but not of I could not bring it home

NRA Patron
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Eventually you (or your heirs) will have to dispose of this stuff. I suspect that there would be a much greater market for a leopard rug than another antelope shoulder mount.

Besides, as one poster noted, leopard hunting may eventually be closed, as lion and elephant (in most areas) now are.

But why not ask your PH about hunting both? Why would there be a conflict? I hunted cats and other game in Zim in 2011. The meat from the other game was used for lion and leopard baits.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
As she reminds me, she is the keeper of the 51/100 rule. She is not only 51% of the population but one 100 % of the pussy! smile

You will never be president!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

201 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 204guy, 31 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,162
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.