Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm going to need four new M&S tires for my 98 Dodge Ram 2500 before hunting season.

I haul a 1500 # camper, and a 3 horse slant mule trailer that weighs about 6500 # loaded.Truck weighs about 7500#. I have a load leveler hitch. About 15.5K # total.

I am presently running Goodyear Duratracks M&S 8 Ply,but the side walls are too soft even at 75 pounds pressure.

Wasn't satisfied with Hankooks

I was considering Cooper's M& S but read a lot of reviews of them coming apart.

Suggestions. Don't want an all terrain tire, but something with an aggressive tread.Road noise doesn't bother me.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'd give the Toyo Open Country MT a try if you can get it in 10 ply (you didn't say what size). They are pricey but I haven't heard a bad thing about them.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Those are on my F150 and they are holding up quite well.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mileage was bad on the Toyo Open country M&S but they were among the best tires I've ever used period. I ran 38" tires on 17" wheels. They were E rated and did everything I could ask of a tire on such a heavy truck( cummins double cab 2500)

I just this late winter switched to the Toyo AT in 35" size. I did not need the aggressive Open country design I have Limited slips front and rear so I think I can get through most of my struggles with that setup. I also had planned many thousands of miles pulling my 7500b 22' camp trailer around the USA this year, so the additional Mileage was my priority.

E rated toyo tires are at the top of the heap in my opinion.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have a 2001 1500 Ram, not sure if they come rated for the loads that you carry or haul, but I am on my fifth, thats 5th set of Bridgestone Duelers.

Truck has 250,000 miles on it.....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would just go to Discount Tires there in the Springs, and get their recommendations.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by saddlesore
I'm going to need four new M&S tires for my 98 Dodge Ram 2500 before hunting season.

I haul a 1500 # camper, and a 3 horse slant mule trailer that weighs about 6500 # loaded.Truck weighs about 7500#. I have a load leveler hitch. About 15.5K # total.

I am presently running Goodyear Duratracks M&S 8 Ply,but the side walls are too soft even at 75 pounds pressure.

Wasn't satisfied with Hankooks

I was considering Cooper's M& S but read a lot of reviews of them coming apart.

Suggestions. Don't want an all terrain tire, but something with an aggressive tread.Road noise doesn't bother me.

I have the perfect tire for you buddy:

Good year wrangler authority mud tires load range E

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Can you say front and rear lockers? No tire will do that without them.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
T
I just got some Toyo Open Country R/T's, pretty aggressive tread pattern and a 45,000 mile warranty. Like them so far!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Toyo M-55 or Nitto Trail Grappler.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Take a look at the Nitto Exo-Grappler, a bit more aggressive than the Terra Grappler, a bit less than the trail grappler.
I like them, good on and off road, great in snow, and drive well on the road.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've become a huge fan of the Cooper STT. We've put them on three rigs and have no complaints. Two pickups, and the Jeep.

β€œYou never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

οΏ½Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.οΏ½ - Ralph Waldo Emerson

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I currently have Toyo Open Country MTs on my pick-up during the summer. While hauling hay they are the least squirmy tire I have tried. One strong tire. They have good steering response and surprisingly I did not see a reduction in fuel mileage as compared to the ATs I had before. That's the good.

The bad. They are terrible on light snow and ice. I don't know about deep snow since I want to live to see it. I have dedicated snow tires that I put on for winter. Kelly Safari TSRs. I am not hauling heavy loads then so don't know how the snow tires would handle heavy loads. Maybe if I had the Toyos siped they would be better.

Right now my favorite winter tire is the Firsestone Destination MT that I had siped. This is on a half ton suburban. The only time I have been stuck with these is when I got high centered in a snow drift. I don't know how well they will do hauling however.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Does anyone know anything about the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac?

[Linked Image]

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never owned the Duratrac but have read a lot of good about them and lots of folks recommend them.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn LabΓ© SkΓ½la~
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

[Linked Image]

Great tire. Excellent in the snow, ride good, and good traction, but the Authority I posted earlier is a better tire from what I've experienced: I had a set of Authorities on my wifes suburban and they rode smoother with less noise than the duratracs on my 04 GMC sierra 4x4. The traction was also better in the snow. Wear was about equal.....Keep in mind the Suburban is a heavier vehicle though...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Can you say front and rear lockers? No tire will do that without them.

I've had to pull guys out of the snow when they thought that's all they needed was their lockers: Too bad they had chitty tires. It doesn't just take lockers to get you where you want to go. Sometimes they are even a detriment. I'll give you credit for maybe knowing what you are talking about since you live in the same high desert conditions I grew up in and I know tires are a huge deal there. I've seen sagebrush go right through sidewalls and rocks just slice a tire like a hot knife though butter. When we were way out in BFE (black rock desert for example) we'd carry 4 spares..

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

[Linked Image]

That is what I have on now.I have run them for two winters and they are about 3/4 worn down. About 20K on them. I left them on this summer as I planned to replace them this fall. They are probably good on a lighter truck though.

My complaint is the soft side walls.Go around a corner with a load and you can feel them roll even with 75 psi in them. That is even with the truck empty,not pulling anything. Truck weighs right at 7600 empty. That heavy diesel engine doesn't help on the front end.

I live at 7650 feet, lot of snow and the truck is usually in 4wd all winter ,so no AT tires.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/06/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had Duratracs on my F250 for about 2wks, squirrly as all get out, no likey. In load E they were great on a previous F150.

Last edited by horse1; 08/06/16.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by horse1
I had Duratracs on my F250 for about 2wks, squirrly as all get out, no likey. In load E they were great on a previous F150.

Exactly my experience

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 55 invisible), 2,725 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,032
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.