Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I was basing my recommendations on 'heavy' work pickups.

Haven't heard of any Cooper blowouts.

Our F350's go 10k up to 14k loaded and knock on wood never had a tire let go(lately).
One time about 10 years ago and that was with a highway type Michelin.

And honestly I think you would have to really cheap out to find a chitty tire.

GB2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Our F350's go 10k up to 14k loaded and knock on wood never had a tire let go(lately).

I agree with sam on the last part. I ran a set of the Cooper STT's for a few years and they are good tires. Don't wear quite as good as the duratracs, but the OP is looking for something better than the druatracs I believe. My list of suggestions would look like this in order of what I'd personally buy for my own rig:

1. Goodyear authority
2. Goodyear duratrac
3. Cooper stt
4. BFG all terrain KO2's
5. Toyo open country mud tires

Too bad they don't make the Kelly safari MSR anymore, as that was one bad azzed long lasting great tire...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I was in a local tire shop today getting a repair. They have a set of 95% BFG KO2's for $900 including chrome rims. They're the wrong size for mine, though. They're 245R75 16's, range E. I need 17's.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I agree with sam on the last part. I ran a set of the Cooper STT's for a few years and they are good tires. Don't wear quite as good as the duratracs, but the OP is looking for something better than the druatracs I believe. My list of suggestions would look like this in order of what I'd personally buy for my own rig:

1. Goodyear authority
2. Goodyear duratrac
3. Cooper stt
4. BFG all terrain KO2's
5. Toyo open country mud tires

Too bad they don't make the Kelly safari MSR anymore, as that was one bad azzed long lasting great tire...

I have the Duratracks on right now. Too squirrely

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You might take a look at Toyo M-55s. I haven't run them myself, but have read good reviews on them.

IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Cooper discontinued the STT and now it is the STT Pro, $1200 for four out the door. More of a mud tire, high performance

The Cooper ST is about $750 out the door.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/24/16.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll say it again, I really liked the Cooper STT, The newer version I have not tried. Used the STT on my f350 and an f250 with no issues. They wear well, great traction, but are a little loud. Worse as they wear down.

I am using the BFG KM2 on our Toyota 4Runner. Can't say for a heavier load but they are TOUGH tires. Great sidewall, not as good on ice, better in mud, must rotate frequently.

My hunting truck is probably going to get a set of Interco TRXUS. They are 10 ply, sidewalls are crazy strong. Interco TRXUS

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
BFG Commercial Traction TA is what I've run on my 97 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4. I don't really tow that much. Extreme winter rated so it uses a softer compound. Best snow tire I've used. Downside is I only get about 20k out of them.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a 2016 Colorado (small truck). When the stock tires go, I plan on getting a set of Hankook DynaPro M/S if I can get them in my size. Had a set on a Ford Edge and liked them a lot. Just slightly aggressive, not too noisy, held up well.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Finally decided. Cooper STT Max. The ST is discontinued. I have used the Hankooks were. OK ,but not impressive. The Goodyear Duratrack is too squirrely with soft sidewalls.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I just got some Toyo Open Country R/T's, pretty aggressive tread pattern and a 45,000 mile warranty. Like them so far!

Got these myself after running Duratracs and Hankook MT's. Toyo's rule over them all. R/T's just right for Nevada. I'm on dirt every week.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go Cooper ST Max.

Hankook ATM

Or the good Toyo version. M55?

I've heard the Toyo's hold up well on gravel but are fairly hard and might slide more on ice.

Hankook's are tougher than hell and offer pretty good highway traction on slick/icy highways.

Cooper's kinda in between.

My brother runs those Coopers Max and loves them.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I put Cooper STT Pros on my Ram 2500 before archery season. They performed like champs both on highway and in 12"+ of snow over mud and rocks. Extremely pleased with them so far.

[Linked Image]

RLTW
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
If you want a tire that will last a long time, rides well and has a good tread pattern to get you through the mud/snow, I'd recommend the BF Goodrich Rugged Trail. Not cheap but last alot longer than the ATs and definitely worth the $$ IME....
[Linked Image]

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Z
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Z

In the snow playing video it appears there are chains on, if so, almost any tire or tread could do that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you were to go to something with decently aggressive tread as opposed to really aggressive, I would look at Michelin LTX A/T.

I bought a used truck a year ago June. It had the LTX tires on. Owner thought they had about 15-20k on them. I have put on another 75k miles on them since then. Tread is almost wore down to the wear bar indicators.

Phenomenal wear. They are spendy, but there is no doubt what my next tire will be on this truck.

EDITED: I just reread OP. I am not certain how stiff a sidewall these have for hauling that heavy of a load.

Last edited by Tarkio; 10/13/16.

Montana MOFO
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Vince

How do you like the Cooper STT Maxx? I'm in the same deal

as you were, 04 Dodge Cummins 2500, pull a 3 horse bumper pull.

I have Hankook Dyna Pro on now 285 70 17 10 ply, but time

for new tires.

Thanks
Craig

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I posted this on the safe tire thread but it's something to consider...
If you need new tires, consider going to a narrower tread. My stock size is 265x70x17. I'm running 245x75x17. They're the same diameter and load rating but an inch or so narrower. They handle better on slick roads and in rocks plus they leave more clearance for tire chains. Their one disadvantage is that they will dig in a little deeper in sand, which isn't a problem here.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by snarpezal
Vince

How do you like the Cooper STT Maxx? I'm in the same deal

as you were, 04 Dodge Cummins 2500, pull a 3 horse bumper pull.

I have Hankook Dyna Pro on now 285 70 17 10 ply, but time

for new tires.

Thanks
Craig

They are a heck of a lot better than the Duratracks.In the past,I got about 25K out of the Hankooks.

The Coopers have a lot of tread,so you are sitting up there on some pretty aggressive soft lugs.These let you squirm around a bit under load.Side walls are a lot stiffer I really did not get to put them to a test on mud or snow the 2nd season as it was so warm.

They grab the bare pavement pretty good in an emergency stop.The stop was such that the deer still ran into the side of my truck. It hit between the left front wheel and front bumper.Pretty hard to lockup 16,000 pounds, but I sure made some black marks.Going faster and it would have centered on my left door.Slower and I would have caught it dead center on my winch. No sheet metal damage though,just bumper and turn signal/head lamp

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Thanks, appreciate you sharing your experience with them. Sounds like what I'm looking for. Know what you mean about the deer, hit a doe a mile from home this summer on my last load of hay. Got lucky hit her square with the front bumper.

Craig

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,728 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.