In particular in an '06? Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dan

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I use that bullet in my Rem Mountain rifle in 30-06 and everything I have shot with it was a bang flop.
I shoot VLDs in my .257 Roberts,.243 and yes even my .270 win.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Love them in the .308. Scenars are easier to get to shoot well, but I love what the VLDs do to critters.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have used the 155's in a 300 Win mag and 140's in 264Win mags. We have feeder pens to protect feeders from the cows. There are trap gates in the feeder pens, so we get dozens of pigs to test bullets on. If you shoot a deer or pig in the heart lung area it isn't going but a few steps, but if you hit shoulder bone the animal will run off. I shot several pigs in the pens that got up after shoulder shots, went back to eating corn. It left a big flesh wound. So in my opinion a hunter best make a good shot or be a good tracker. I like a partition, accubond, or a ballistic tip. They will blow right through a 200lb pig. This is all just my opinion.

Last edited by hanco; 08/11/16.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I have used the 155's in a 300 Win mag and 140's in 264Win mags. We have feeder pens to protect feeders from the cows. There are trap gates in the feeder pens, so we get dozens of pigs to test bullets on. If you shoot a deer or pig in the heart lung area it isn't going but a few steps, but if you hit shoulder bone the animal will run off. I shot several pigs in the pens that got up after shoulder shots, went back to eating corn. It left a big flesh wound. So in my opinion a hunter best make a good shot or be a good tracker. I like a partition, accubond, or a ballistic tip. They will blow right through a 200lb pig. This is all just my opinion.

hanco: Thanks for the research. Very odd bullet performance. They sound great for fawns and coyotes,and groundhogs. I don't understand the appeal.

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/14/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by hanco

hanco: Thanks for the research. Very odd bullet performance. They sound great for fawns and coyotes,and groundhogs. I don't understand the appeal.

My opinion, too. They may be fine if you are shooting extreme distances, but I will take a Nolser Partition, Ab, or a Hornady Interlock for any reasonable range.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Must have been luck for me, dozens and dozens of times on large, mature elk, mule deer and black bears.

I'd love to see a pig take a shoulder hit from a .264 magnum and 140gr VLD, bounce back up and start feeding again....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Must have been luck for me, dozens and dozens of times on large, mature elk, mule deer and black bears.

I'd love to see a pig take a shoulder hit from a .264 magnum and 140gr VLD, bounce back up and start feeding again....

I don't have anywhere near the experience/data as Pat, but I haven't seen a Berger VLD "bounce off" a deer or pig either. My hunting camp partner has killed several large hogs with 168's in 308 Win. cartridges I handloaded. They've penetrated with quartering on presentation, and they've also blown out large sections of spine at the neck/shoulder area from a quartering away presentation with the shooter in a elevated position. "Easier" angles have been no problem either.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
When several of us field-tested Berger VLD's on big game in New Zealand in 2007, we not only killed a pile of animals with no failures to penetrate shoulders.

One of the "problems" we had at first was always hitting feral goats (which have the reputation of being among the toughest big game on earth) anywhere except a shoulder or in the spine, and they all dropped so quickly the guides were very impressed. But we also wanted to see how quickly they killed on rib/lung shots, and finally my wife got a shot at a big billy completely broadside across a draw. She hit it behind the shoulder, and the billy dropped right there, rolling down the steep slope dead.

The bullets tested were 115 .25's at around 3000 fps (the one Eileen used on the billy), 140 6.5's at 3000, 168 .30's at 2900, and 185 .30's at 2800 and 3100, and ranges varied from 18 yards to over 550. All penetrated shoulders and went on into the chest, whether the animal was a feral goat or sheep, fallow deer or mature red deer stag.

Eventually I decided to see IF one could be forced to blow up on a shoulder, so started shooting dead goats from a few feet away, right in the shoulder joint. All the bullets penetrated on into the chest.
Those animals were autopsied to find out exactly what happened, along with the big billy Eileen killed and several others. Eventually, however, we quit slicing goats open, because the bullet performance was so consistent, and unlike the fallow and red deer they weren't being butchered for meat.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

I would be skeptical too. I've had my quickest kills on pigs with VLDs in .257, .264, and .308 bullets.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh man I knew this would get the masses stirred up...... whistle smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it stirred me up! I am going to invest in some VLDs for my 257 IMP before I go hunting this season.
I would like to shoot an elk with my improved !

Ken

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hondo and Pat, do they tend to perform better on animals than the Scenars?

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Very odd bullet performance. They sound great for fawns and coyotes,and groundhogs. I don't understand the appeal.

Reckon it's the fact they are frangible bullets and create enough collateral upset to dispatch the animal swiftly. People like what works.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Similar to what John Barsness has written about, my friend and I have found delayed frangibility. They've gone in a way before letting go.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by clark98ut

The stuff I have shot with them has been limited to white tails, pigs and coyotes. On those critters, the VLDs have done more internal damage than the Scenars have for me and the critters have made fewer tracks. I believe the VLDs are a little softer but have never had one fail to penetrate through the vitals and they do massive damage inside.

John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kennymauser
Well, it stirred me up! I am going to invest in some VLDs for my 257 IMP before I go hunting this season.
I would like to shoot an elk with my improved !

Ken

Let us know how you make out. I couldn't find an accurate load for my .257 AI using the 115 VLDs. Thanks!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by clark98ut

I've always thought that scenars are a little harder jackets. I've never had a failure with either. I've never hit anything poorly either. As been stated before, placement is always the most important element.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
All I can say is I hit her square in her shoulders. She went down. I shot a couple more in a feeder pen down below me. I looked back at the first feeder pen. She was up eating corn like nothing had happened. I shot her again in the heart. She ran into the fence and fell over. It left a huge flesh wound where the first shot hit. I have hit a dozen or so in the heart-lungs that did not go all the way through. They didnt go twenty steps before they were down. Maybe it was a bad bullet?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Very odd bullet performance. They sound great for fawns and coyotes,and groundhogs. I don't understand the appeal.

Reckon it's the fact they are frangible bullets and create enough collateral upset to dispatch the animal swiftly. People like what works.

You can keep them. I'd never trust them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

676 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,836
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.