Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Use a 35 gal drum. Maintains the wall in unstable soils and are free! Cut both ends out with a torch

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Use a 35 gal drum. Maintains the wall in unstable soils and are free! Cut both ends out with a torch

shocked

It is not the fact that 35 gallon drums are not common that should be concerning about this comment. eek

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Most of the things in Walt's life are free.
That's how he rolls.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Guys...Unlike most of you I have an outhouse right out in my yard and at my cabin in Noatak National Park. I have dug a number of them and in Alaska the walls often times are unstable and will slide. Soo.....35 gal oil/grease drums are easy to find in the Bush. When you live in the Bush you use what you have cause heading to Home Depot is just not an option...

Last edited by northwestalaska; 08/11/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was in AK in the early 90s, I built an outhouse using an old plastic fish bin to line the $hite hole/pit. I knocked holes in the sides and bottom. As far as I can recall, I believe the fish bin was ~ 4'x4'x~3.5'. You should be able to find an old one for cheap.

Last edited by High_Noon; 08/11/16.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
55 gallon drums are common; smaller ones not so much, but you already knew that. (Fuel: gas/diesel, glycol, motor oil...things that get used in high volume are often shipped that way.)

Keep those angels employed, keep using that torch to open them and one day you'll get yourself a real Crackerjack surprise. eek

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
55 gallon drums are common; smaller ones not so much, but you already knew that. (Fuel: gas/diesel, glycol, motor oil...things that get used in high volume are often shipped that way.)

Keep those angels employed, keep using that torch to open them and one day you'll get yourself a real Crackerjack surprise. eek

I remain hopeful.

In fact Walt, a little added gasoline helps the barrel end come off.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around here they were usually lined with concrete blocks. Things are so different for you folks, I dont even know if they would be available or practical.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Yes but in perm frost? Thats about what 44 inches. Not going to happen. 35 gal drums are out there and a lot shorter. I built a little barrel stove for my wall tent out of a 35gal and it was perfect! Pony Keg would've been even better!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
29" vs 35" (or less); as usual, you're so full of shiiiit that you really need to be using a 55 gallon hole. Seriously, it won't be much difference for those buff wrestling pipes you've got. smile

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
29" vs 35" (or less); as usual, you're so full of shiiiit that you really need to be using a 55 gallon hole. Seriously, it won't be much difference for those buff wrestling pipes you've got. smile

I agree and that is why a 35 works well..We have beeb using that 35 gal hole for 13 years now and guess what??? Not full yet! Digging through Perma Frost sucks. If you have never done it well lets just say...Bring your "Took"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep Walt you're the only one with any outdoor experience, give or take

what's so hard about digging in permafrost?

you dig a hole, hit frozen dirt, build a fire in it, roast a few marshmallows

scrape that dirt out and repeat as needed.

don't even need to bring your "Took" WTF?

you never make a bit of sense with anything you post

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Using a "took" (presumably the gussuk spelling of the Eskimo word 'tuuq') to chip away at ever-frozen clay for the digging of modern-day graves is quite common (though an electric jack hammer and Honda generator are even more common nowadays). But, while the deposition of a body in a closed hole does seem to work over time, permafrost is a big reason why people tend not to use outhouses in many parts of the state (and it's not laziness that accounts for that.) The permafrost in many parts of the state is nothing but frozen clay and muck which, when exposed, becomes a water-filled sinkhole capable of swallowing the structure build over it, or at least toppling it. Anybody who tries to tell you that they've had their 35 gallon (30 gallon most probably since 35 gallon drums are about as common as braces for hen's teeth) in use for 13 years, is either pulling your leg or has retained so much of their waste over the years that they are truly full of it. Nothing really breaks down in permafrost, nor does permafrost drain. As usual, Walt wins himself four Pinnoccios. smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I literally thought this thread was going to be about RobJordan.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Try this link on for size....

https://www.robertharding.com/previ...ls-leaking-waste-oil-tundra-nome-alaska/

See the short ones? Those are 35's in Nome....

Not sure what village you come from but in Kotz there are not hard to find...Try the dump!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty hard to know what those barrels are from that picture. They're undoubtedly leftover/left-behinds from the WW II when planes were ferried to Russia through Nome. Galena was another place which 'benefited' from plentiful old drums. In fact, any place which had a military presence of one sort or another had old oil drums. The vast majority of those were 55 gallons. (That was virtually the only size 'tundra daisy' I saw when they were still around 20-30 years ago. We are now what- 70 years removed from WW II and it's remnants. Not many of those left anymore. The vast majority of steel drums are 55 gallons these days. A 30 gallon is very uncommon unless someone has need for that much grease. Obviously the market is pretty slight in any village. AVEC, schools, etc get motor oils and glycol in 55 gallon drums. Even gasoline is rarely transported this way anymore. A used oil drum is a good snag even in 55 gallons as they get used for hauling heating fuel (since villages rarely [never] have fuel delivery). They are also pretty commonly used for day tanks. Out on the coast where permafrost is common, a person might sink an outhouse pit if they live on the beach line where the sand is deep. As I pointed out before, holes in permafrost fill with water, melt, cave in, and everything above sinks in. But if a hole 3 feet deep is so much of a challenge that you need to stick with a 30 inch deep hole, God help you in your 'rural' existence. You're going to need it.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Like I said before in Kotz we can get them...But Kotz is a major hub for barge activity...I built a barrel stove for my wall tent back in 05? out of a 35 and shrunk it down by cutting it in 1/2 and slipping one end into the other making it short and fat-little pig...When I built mu cabin up the Noatak the first stove was a 1955 navy oil drum with the rolled edges. it was a find when I saw it floating along the edge of Kobuk Lake with who knows what in it. I flamed it off and then made a killer stove out of her, very heavy when compared to modern drums. The dang thing would blast that little cabin out and the kids upstairs cooked but when it cooled down it was cold fast...Replaced her with a Blaze Queen Princess that was taken out of one of the many HUD/BIA homes in the area...Now it is easy heating!

Ya build with what you have on hand in the bush! But you know that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
264 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.