Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We manage to get the outhouse hole dug last weekend and I'm looking for suggestions on what to do for a liner. I was going to use a 36" culvert but $1600 is a bit much. Thinking about either building a box out of treated plywood with holes drilled in it it make a frame out of pressure treated 2x4's, adding cross members. Then tacking on some permeable landscaping material. Thoughts?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why does an outhouse pit need a liner? Is the 'soil' prone to collapse, or what?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was told I should line it but i don't think it would collapse. The hole is about 8-9 feet deep and the upper 2-3 feet is a clay like dirt.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
When I did this I got lucky and found a 48" x 5 ft. Culvert band that had been damaged at a road construction company. I think I gave them $100 for it. I cut some slots in it to drain well and called it good.

What you got planned will probably last long enough you want have to worry about it again.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
The hole is about 8-9 feet deep ...

Built for posterity, sounds like... wink

I've never seen or built an outhouse that was very fancy when it comes to the pit. I have seen and used 55 gallon drums, both ends removed, when digging a hole in sand, but that's about it. Water sources, wells, drainage are the main things to consider beyond having a hole that won't fill itself in independently. Human waste won't fill a pit very fast, especially with intermittent use.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lol......yeah, that's about right Klik. The actual outhouse itself will 8x6 and split into 2 different rooms. One will by the outhouse and the other side will be the generator shed. Still considering a couple of 55 gal drums but I'm not sure they will be wide enough to prevent side splash.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
one of our cabin neighbors did a cool lil gig, he built his outhouse on hinges so he can tip it back pull the 55 gal drum out when it gets full and insert another one.

me I don't line em with with squat. maybe should but I haven't

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a good idea with the hinges but I have no way of lifting out a 55 gallon turd bucket out of an 8 foot hole. I'm leaning more and more towards the unlined method.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
.... no way of lifting out a 55 gallon turd bucket out of an 8 foot hole.

This reminds me of a fellow I shared housing with years ago. It was his turn to 'haul the honeybucket' and, to save a return trip to the house on his way out somewhere, he grabbed the bag lining the bucket and walked through the house carrying a 3-4 gallons of human waste - in an ordinary 13 gallon kitchen trash bag. shocked (No way would I want anything to do with 30 gallons or more of human slop in a thin, steel 'can'. eek )

I'm leaning more and more towards the unlined method.

Our most recent version was simply located over an appropriate 'slot' on the edge of an ancient volvanic boulder field a couple hundred yards from the ocean. The occasional 'creek' disappears into the same boulder field some yards beyond, but runs only in the spring and during lengthy periods of wet weather. I don't think we benefit from any 'flushing' action, but the solids haven't built up over the past 10 years all that significantly either.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
This probably no chance due to logistics...... but right size sono tube, drop in, drive a few pieces of rebar in place, mix up a form of concrete, via cement and on site stuff, and pour a thin form..

that of the road construction stuff.. stop and ask one of the flaggers... at least down here they toss rusted corrugated all the time..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by rost495
This probably no chance due to logistics...... but right size sono tube, drop in, drive a few pieces of rebar in place, mix up a form of concrete, via cement and on site stuff, and pour a thin form..

You gotta be [bleep] me... smile

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by rost495

You gotta be [bleep] me... smile

Sounds like a chitter designed by a German.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Correction, of descent, 75% German, 25% Czech... LOL. I think that adds up to Polish... LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
lol reminds me of a story about one of the outfitters I worked for

at his main lodge and hunting camp, guides had to take turns tamping down the outhouse(s) with a long 2x4 with a small piece of plywood on one end to avoid having to dig a new one so often

never had to do so myself as I was usually doing remote camps or float hunting, plus, I seldom stayed for late season bear hunting (sitting extremely quiet in a blind over a spawning bed, just never seemed like that much fun to me)

always teased the guys that told me they pulled that duty if they ever asked a client if they knew they were "going to pack their chit for them on this trip"

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Course you guys do know that you are suppose to keep a bag of lime in the outhouse, and flush it with about a tuna can full sprinkled down the hole ocassionally. Just be sure to have the seat up, your wife won't like the lime on her bottomside.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not much lime to be found off-road (which is most of Alaska). But wood ashes seem to suffice somewhat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
They say the first outhouses were nothing more than a small building with a seat with a hole in it, built over a hole dug into the ground.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
lol reminds me of a story about one of the outfitters I worked for

at his main lodge and hunting camp, guides had to take turns tamping down the outhouse(s) with a long 2x4 with a small piece of plywood on one end to avoid having to dig a new one so often

never had to do so myself as I was usually doing remote camps or float hunting, plus, I seldom stayed for late season bear hunting (sitting extremely quiet in a blind over a spawning bed, just never seemed like that much fun to me)

always teased the guys that told me they pulled that duty if they ever asked a client if they knew they were "going to pack their chit for them on this trip"

Heard rumors the guys in your camps used to say "Sleep on your back... or Randy will!"

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would line it with doo-doo.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Beware the stalagmites in the winter.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17Fan, 09wingates, 72 invisible), 2,682 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,608
Posts18,398,386
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.