Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Dre I hear you...I just get tired of the "no one can shoot magnums" stuff on here. So I sympathize with the 300 hunters who get indirectly maligned, and constantly reminded how poorly they shoot. eek

Personally I have not used one in years.This does not mean I can't..... grin

Good to remember that bullets slow down. Much as I like the 30/06, a couple decades of killing animals with 300 magnums remind me they hold an undeniable edge at distance. smile

It is indeed undeniable, but it has also been said that the 30-06 can kill further out than most of us are capable of shooting.. I also get tired of hearing people can't shoot "magnums" accurately. It is true for some, maybe quite a few, but not all... Little hint for the naysayers... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We'll never know what it was. But I have to be honest.
I missed my first elk ever about the 60 yards with 30/06.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dre

Details man, we need details. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

It is indeed undeniable, but it has also been said that the 30-06 can kill further out than most of us are capable of shooting.. I also get tired of hearing people can't shoot "magnums" accurately. It is true for some, maybe quite a few, but not all... Little hint for the naysayers... wink

There are a lot of guys at my range that shoot magnums quite well. I've also seen people that can't shoot a .308 well. Don't know it they could shoot ANYTHING well.

Shortly after I built my .338WM (2011) I took it to the range with a .30-06. Both rifles has stainless Ruger MKII actions with the semi-skeletonized stocks. After checking the scope settings at 100 I moved to the long range where I put clay pigeons up on the 600-yard berm. Starting with the .338WM I busted a pigeon with both rifles using a combined total of 5 shots. (IIRC it was 3 and 2 shots respectively.)

For 20+ years all I had for a big game rifle was a 7mm RM and I was too dumb to know I couldn't shoot it. My longest shot ever on big game was at a cow elk at 487 yards with the .338WM. She was some good eating.

My most brutal loads are for my Marlin .45-70, 460g hardcast at 1812fps for about 50 ft-lbs recoil. I call them my 'Rhino Blaster' loads for a reason. They are no fun to shoot but they will print 3 into 1.9" at 50 yards with the factory irons, which is as well as I can do with those sights regardless of the load.

When people say people can't shoot magnums well they usually neglect to mention WHICH magnums -and there is a big difference. My 7mm Rm loads have recoil similar to a .30-06 - some have slightly more, others less depending on the actual loads being compared. A .264 Win Mag has recoil in the same range as a .308 Win or .270 Win.

Granted, if plinking with full-house loads I'd much rather shoot a .30-06 than my .338WM. Or, even more so, my .243W or a .223. But like you and Bob I get tired of hearing how people can't shoot magnums well. Some do, some don't.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am gonna sight in my 3003 1895 takedown with the climbing Lyman today! None of that new fangled 30 government stuff going on around here today. However there is this pesky 308 Norma 1903 with an fx-3 on it......

Last edited by Angus1895; 08/13/16.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dre

I agree. We should start a new thread describing how our buddies have missed shots at 50 yards. I have one buddy in particular that used to get buck fever so bad that I saw him miss a nice buck at 50 yards. He Fumbled around managed to fire off 5 shots and not even a bullet scrape on the lucky buck. He was using a .223 rem. Hardly a magnum cartridge huh... whistle

Another buddy that I've hunted with since I was 10 years old was quite comical one day. We were hunting jackrabbits in Nevada and using pistols. I had my Smith 29-2 and he was using a borrowed colt python. Hey we were kids and passing the time away in a fun manner. Anyway, we busted a few jacks and they flew out in front of us. We were in full pursuit. My buddy with the python raised above his head, running full speed to my left. And I mean full speed, we both ran the 100 in about 11 seconds flat back in those days. He trips over a big sage, fires the pistol straight in the air and yells, "I got him!!". I slowed down to watch, so I saw everything that happened and later asked, laugh how did you get him if you fired straight in the air?? But since this is an elk forum, I can almost relate to Dre's buddy missing an elk at 50 yards. I said almost. This is because your first one is always different:

I remember my "first". I heard a loud commotion in the manzanita to my right. Sounded like small saplings being snapped in half, so I wait patiently (more like shaking in my boots) to see if this big creature was going to come out. I stood there next to a big fir tree and waited. All of a sudden, I hear this loud snort, and a big crash. Out comes this horse with long spikes. He ran for the first 30 yards and then stops and turns back to look at me. As if he's saying ok, this is your chance, I'm not going to be here all day! I raised my rifle and fired 1 shot. At the shot he dropped, but I hit him high in the shoulder. A couple things I learned that day: Elk are big animals, my rifle didn't need to be sighted in 3" high at 100 yards, and the mighty 338 thumps the hell out of elk. One thing that didn't come to mind was: Hell I could have been more accurate with a 308. That's bullschidt, horeseschidt, and otherwise overplayed here at the fire. The one thought that did come to mind was, "hell, I could have killed that sucker with a 308". No need for a magnum at 80 yards, but it for damn sure wasn't a detriment to my shooting, accuracy or the placement of the bullet.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It wasn't a miss because I never shot but I sure blew a close archery shot at a big bull one time. I was moving along a trail above the bottom of a brushy draw. It was full of cattle and they can make a lot of racket. I came to a patch of timber and I could hear the cattle crashing around it there. As I moved through it, one of the cows sprouted large antlers as he departed the far side of the trees. He'd been right in the middle of the cows.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like when a guy is ready for a new rifle because what he was using last year just wasn't getting it done. Usually get a good deal.

I can't say the .30-06 impresses me either. It's more like a standard of performance by which everything else gets judged.

My go to rifle for elk, after bow season leaves me empty handed, has been a .338 Win Mag. Mines pretty well worn, is as accurate as the operator, and will bring home elk even when going lengthwise through one. I am usually in dark timber so long shots are nearly unheard-of. My favorite bullet so far has been the 250gr Woodliegh Weld-Core. But I'm probably going to be doing a lot of research for years to come before I commit to what's best.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is what some one said about the 06. Not sure who it was but I copied it for my signature

Last edited by Dre; 08/13/16.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Angus1895
I am gonna sight in my 3003 1895 takedown with the climbing Lyman today! None of that new fangled 30 government stuff going on around here today. However there is this pesky 308 Norma 1903 with an fx-3 on it......

Angus,

Did the same thing today with my '95 in .35 WCF. And it also has a climbin' Lyman on it! Got her humming with old 250 Hornady RN's. My back up rifle will be a Krag-Jorgenson with # 70 Redfield receiver sight throwing 220 Grain RN's.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 08/13/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, the 30-06 didn't impress me all that much on elk either. It kicked too much for what it did so I switched to the 270 and 308... 30-06 results with less recoil.

wink

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Jorge, where are you going for your elk hunt? I assume it is this year?

Don't let me or anyone else let you change your mind concerning your .300 Wby, if that's what your heart is set on. It'll straight up knock an elk's dick in the dirt.

Roulon Jones' place:
Idaho Broadmouth Canyon Ranch

It's always fun to AGONIZE as to rifle/caliber/bullet combo. The 300 weatherby is a 1957 vintage Weatherby on an early FN Mauser action, 24" barrel and 180 TTSXs@3240 fps. I also have a Model (pre-war) 70 in 300 H&H that loves the same bullet (3000 fps) but especially the 200 gr Partition, (2820 fps)although not as flat shooting as the 180 . The OTHER rifle is a Model 70 338 w 210 TTSXs@2900 fps that is also very accurate. I always take two rifles, so probably both 300s.

The 300 Weatherby for elk- is there anything better? laugh laugh

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dre

I agree. We should start a new thread describing how our buddies have missed shots at 50 yards. I have one buddy in particular that used to get buck fever so bad that I saw him miss a nice buck at 50 yards. He Fumbled around managed to fire off 5 shots and not even a bullet scrape on the lucky buck. He was using a .223 rem. Hardly a magnum cartridge huh... whistle

Another buddy that I've hunted with since I was 10 years old was quite comical one day. We were hunting jackrabbits in Nevada and using pistols. I had my Smith 29-2 and he was using a borrowed colt python. Hey we were kids and passing the time away in a fun manner. Anyway, we busted a few jacks and they flew out in front of us. We were in full pursuit. My buddy with the python raised above his head, running full speed to my left. And I mean full speed, we both ran the 100 in about 11 seconds flat back in those days. He trips over a big sage, fires the pistol straight in the air and yells, "I got him!!". I slowed down to watch, so I saw everything that happened and later asked, laugh how did you get him if you fired straight in the air?? But since this is an elk forum, I can almost relate to Dre's buddy missing an elk at 50 yards. I said almost. This is because your first one is always different:

I remember my "first". I heard a loud commotion in the manzanita to my right. Sounded like small saplings being snapped in half, so I wait patiently (more like shaking in my boots) to see if this big creature was going to come out. I stood there next to a big fir tree and waited. All of a sudden, I hear this loud snort, and a big crash. Out comes this horse with long spikes. He ran for the first 30 yards and then stops and turns back to look at me. As if he's saying ok, this is your chance, I'm not going to be here all day! I raised my rifle and fired 1 shot. At the shot he dropped, but I hit him high in the shoulder. A couple things I learned that day: Elk are big animals, my rifle didn't need to be sighted in 3" high at 100 yards, and the mighty 338 thumps the hell out of elk. One thing that didn't come to mind was: Hell I could have been more accurate with a 308. That's bullschidt, horeseschidt, and otherwise overplayed here at the fire. The one thought that did come to mind was, "hell, I could have killed that sucker with a 308". No need for a magnum at 80 yards, but it for damn sure wasn't a detriment to my shooting, accuracy or the placement of the bullet.

LOL, BTDT BSA, I'll admit to shaking so hard early bow hunting that I shook an arrow out of the rest, that sombitch had to have hit every step of my lean to stand on the way down, never seen a doe leave so hard and fast. blush

Another time was when a buck deer at best, was a little over a hundred yards away, he quickly appeared in a finger line of trees above me, he had to be atleast a tall 10 pt, a truly large buck, I was so excited firing from a sitting position off my left knee I held on his back and proceeded to shoot right over him, knowing full well my 7 mag was dead on 3"s high at 100 yards.crazy

I'll have to tell you about the time a bear cub was backing down an aspen tree at dark thirty daybreak out west bowhunting elk one year. eek shocked

A full on young man adrenaline dump, coupled with highly excitable loads of testosterone, plus, slap full of piss and vinegar, has caused me to make a complete fool of myself in the woods early on. lol

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a guy who has a place in Montana. He shot one Bull Elk with his 7mm Rem Mag and wasn't impressed so he bought a .30-378 Weatherby. He shot one Bull with that and felt he could do better so he got the .338-378. Now he's impressed. The .30-06 has impressed me on Moose and I'm sure I'd like it on Elk too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 30-06 may not be all that impressive today but if you can shoot it still kills everything you shoot at as good as the 30 cal magnums without haveing to pack a heavy rifle all over the mountains.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bea175
The 30-06 may not be all that impressive today but if you can shoot it still kills everything you shoot at as good as the 30 cal magnums without haveing to pack a heavy rifle all over the mountains.

And 200 grains, especially in a 200 gr Accubond leaving at 2700 hits a hell of a lot harder out there than most would give credit for, it and the partition of the same weight are good diggers Bea.

Trump Won!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
200 gr Partition makes the 30-06 kill like the 338 magnums

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dre

2nd season spike tag in Easter Oregon. Nice snowy afternoon. I was walking along a bench, when I spotted a cow feeding. All of the sudden a spike walks up from bellow to the edge. I put my gun and take a closer look at his long spikes to make sure he's a legal bull. From his antlers, I went to his chest and squeezed the trigger. Got on the walkie talkie and announced I got one. Got to the spot where I last saw them before they took off down hill. Looked and looked and no blood anywhere. It was easy track job in fresh powder and no blood for 100 + yards.
I think I never stopped the rifle at his chest, and pretty much threw that bullet into the ground.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bea175
200 gr Partition makes the 30-06 kill like the 338 magnums

You've been making a lot of sense (for a lefty) lately. laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre

LOL, BTDT BSA, I'll admit to shaking so hard early bow hunting that I shook an arrow out of the rest, that sombitch had to have hit every step of my lean to stand on the way down, never seen a doe leave so hard and fast. blush

Another time was when a buck deer at best, was a little over a hundred yards away, he quickly appeared in a finger line of trees above me, he had to be atleast a tall 10 pt, a truly large buck, I was so excited firing from a sitting position off my left knee I held on his back and proceeded to shoot right over him, knowing full well my 7 mag was dead on 3"s high at 100 yards.crazy

I'll have to tell you about the time a bear cub was backing down an aspen tree at dark thirty daybreak out west bowhunting elk one year. eek shocked

A full on young man adrenaline dump, coupled with highly excitable loads of testosterone, plus, slap full of piss and vinegar, has caused me to make a complete fool of myself in the woods early on. lol

laugh LOL

BSA MAGA
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,863 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.