Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18
Obi_Wan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well, I have a 35 Whelen I had in Alaska and I hope to use on Elk at some point, but I want a 30-06 because I believe its a great all around for North America and easy to find ammo. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Not to mention I can use the brass for either rifle.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Obi_Wan
Well, I have a 35 Whelen I had in Alaska and I hope to use on Elk at some point, but I want a 30-06 because I believe its a great all around for North America and easy to find ammo. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Not to mention I can use the brass for either rifle.

I used to feel a battery without an iron-sighted .30-30 lever was incomplete. (Maybe too many westerns as a kid. and yes, I know the .30-30 was a latecomer.)

Now I feel pretty much the same way about the .30-06. If you can't get it done cleanly with a .30-06 the chances are you shooting into the next county. Since I started in 1982 I don't think I've taken an animal that couldn't have been taken with a .308 or 7mm-08.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 30-06 shoots much flatter than some give it credit for.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/30...m_campaign=/blog/30-06-springfield-dead/

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Impresses the heck out of me how easy it is to make 35 Whelen cases from 30-06 brass. I've shot all kinds of game with various 30-06's and have no complaints. other than maybe if you have a couple of them it makes it harder to justify having more than 20 ready to go big game rifles.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by Dre
We'll never know what it was. But I have to be honest.
I missed my first elk ever about the 60 yards with 30/06.

Details man, we need details. smile

2nd season spike tag in Easter Oregon. Nice snowy afternoon. I was walking along a bench, when I spotted a cow feeding. All of the sudden a spike walks up from bellow to the edge. I put my gun and take a closer look at his long spikes to make sure he's a legal bull. From his antlers, I went to his chest and squeezed the trigger. Got on the walkie talkie and announced I got one. Got to the spot where I last saw them before they took off down hill. Looked and looked and no blood anywhere. It was easy track job in fresh powder and no blood for 100 + yards.
I think I never stopped the rifle at his chest, and pretty much threw that bullet into the ground.
. If you were in Heppner I found a bloated spike, long spikes starting to fork on the right side. Looked like it had been hit through the lungs a couple days before I found it, thanks for the ivories as that was all that was salvageable. If not Heppner disregard this post!

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

2nd season spike tag in Easter Oregon. Nice snowy afternoon. I was walking along a bench, when I spotted a cow feeding. All of the sudden a spike walks up from bellow to the edge. I put my gun and take a closer look at his long spikes to make sure he's a legal bull. From his antlers, I went to his chest and squeezed the trigger. Got on the walkie talkie and announced I got one. Got to the spot where I last saw them before they took off down hill. Looked and looked and no blood anywhere. It was easy track job in fresh powder and no blood for 100 + yards.
I think I never stopped the rifle at his chest, and pretty much threw that bullet into the ground.

Damn the luck, I wish you calm collectiveness on your next shot. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by bea175
The 30-06 shoots much flatter than some give it credit for.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/30...m_campaign=/blog/30-06-springfield-dead/

Get it in that out West altitude and she'll really lean out nice. smile

Trump Won!
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

. If you were in Heppner I found a bloated spike, long spikes starting to fork on the right side. Looked like it had been hit through the lungs a couple days before I found it, thanks for the ivories as that was all that was salvageable. If not Heppner disregard this post!

It sure was, about 4 or 5 years back now in heppner. Not far from OHV.
I re deemed my self next year opening morning and killed a spike (with any bull tag) about 200 yards from where I missed

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

I hate to see that happen. My buddy shot one a few years ago in eastern Oregon on private property with his 308 Winchester. The bullet failed to put the bull down pronto and they never recovered the animal. They did, however, find the bull a couple days later when they saw the birds circling. Bull was wasted and my buddy punched his tag... sick

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Dear baby Jesus, please don't ever let this happen to me, and be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea, Amen. smile

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

It sure was, about 4 or 5 years back now in heppner. Not far from OHV.
I re deemed my self next year opening morning and killed a spike (with any bull tag) about 200 yards from where I missed

Interesting exchange here. Perhaps 100 yards, even in snow is not far enough to trail an elk that was shot at, before deciding it was not a hit.

My first late season CO bull, a lot of years ago now, was shot broadside through the lungs, entry/exit with no ribs hit, at about 45 paces. He was walking, but at the shot bolted. I didn't see how I could have missed, so gave it a little time and started following the tracks. Unfortunately I had no snow, just dry pine needles. I could follow the tracks fairly well since that bull was running flat out after the 7 mag barked. But eventually I had to follow his line of travel and guess. In the quarter mile before I found him piled up, I found one single tiny drop of blood about the size of my little fingernail. He was running when he died. Hit a tree so hard head on that he broke a tine off. There wasn't even a pool of blood where he expired. The chest cavity was awash, though. That is the longest run I have ever had with an elk, normally they go down within view, but I have had them run out of sight in thick stuff. I have seen a number that went over 100 yards before expiring (mine and other hunter's).

I guess on that elk I used a lesson I had learned earlier about not giving up too easily or too early. I once had a little Texas whitetail go about 100 yards with a J-hook kind of trajectory. She and I were unlucky enough to have the bullet part before it got to her, so there were two wounds, neither where it should have been. No blood trail at all. That one took circling in a big spiral after following all the obvious trails did not pan out. She was in a different direction than when last spotted. It took about 2 hours to find her, but I knew she was hit, so I just kept at it.

Some animals may not act like they are hit, but still may be very dead.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Dre,. Could be the one, East and South of OHV heading for wall Creek,. I hope it was yours or there are others not finding their prey! We were camped between Bull Prairie and OHV a little East!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Back to the OP. The 30-06 didn't impress me either, but it has impressed most of the deer and elk I've killed in the last 50 years! My Model 98 in 30-06 has taken most of my game! My .338wm is a little heavy, my 7rem mag doesn't fit as well and my 99 savage 300 has no scope, which I need now days for my old eyes!

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dre,. Could be the one, East and South of OHV heading for wall Creek,. I hope it was yours or there are others not finding their prey! We were camped between Bull Prairie and OHV a little East!

So I looked at the dates, it was 2010 season.
If he made it that far, thats a run. Close 2 miles as the crow flies.
I'm glad I shared this and others have chimed in.
I will not give up on tracking that easily AGAIN! I was upset with my self for a good year that I missed gimme, but now I hope that I did miss. sick
I'll be there this year 1st season with any bull tag. will you be there? PM if so, maybe come by camp and get a drink.
back to 06 impressing me
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dre; 08/15/16.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
No matter what cartridge you mention you can find some counter leaner who claims to have had a bad experience with it.

Mart, I like that one. Counter leaner. I'm gonna' have to steal that one from you.

Of course, you could quit easily substitute the word 'moron' for 'counter leaner' to describe that pot-licker.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always considered the 7 mag a glorified 30-06.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by 458Win

Is that also your opinion of the 7mm Weatherby?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win

I think that's what it was intended to be. When it was introduced, some people said it was designed to have the power of a 30/06, with the trajectory of a 270 .

(t's actually flatter shooting than anything you can feed a 270).

It's really no wonder people often comment they can't see much difference.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I have a 7mm mag. Why do I need all that other stuff?

Because the others are fun!

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 08/15/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dear baby Jesus, please don't ever let this happen to me, and be with the starving pygmies in New Guinea, Amen. smile

Amen. amen, amen!!!!

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 18 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,721
Posts18,457,266
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.