Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I would be willing to ramrod a postal match if enough guys want to take part. I'm thinking some time in September maybe, to give contestants enough time to dust the cobwebs off of their guns?

I'm proposing it'll be for 50 yards, .22 rimfire. Three classes: 1. Any gun, any sights, off the bench- for group. 2. any gun, any sights, no bench- for score. 3. Non-bolt gun repeater (slide action, autoloader), iron sights, 25 yards offhand - for score.

I'll round up some sample targets and post them for consideration/debate. I won't propose any targets that rival aspirins in size. This is for fun.

Simple course of fire: 5 targets, 5 shots per target, best score/group of the five to be the representative score for that individual. No re-entry, but one may participate in all 3 categories.

Cost: Basically nothing- just cost of targets and mailing them back and forth. A buck or two, or a cold beer- I'm easy to please! You're on your own hook for whatever .22 ammo you wish to use.

Prizes: Are you kidding?! grin Forum bragging rights that will stand for all time should be enough! (Perhaps we can get Savage to kick in some tchotchkies like ball caps or something? Anybody know anybody there whom you could ask?)

Notes:

A) Should we put an age limit on the guns? Or perhaps another category for "modern" Savage rimfires in order to keep an even playing field for the old guns?
B) How best to keep this from becoming an "arms race"? Ie: some guys putting heavy Krieger match barrels on their M1903's in order to blindside us, for example.
C) Posting of pics of all targets fired, or just the winners? (Could get pretty cumbersome if we post pics of all targets.) Guess it depends on the turnout.)
D) Specific time period during which one must shoot his targets and return to me.
E) I'll be happy to be the judge. I have a sharp eye and micrometers.

Let's bat this around for a couple of weeks, until say August 26. At that time I'll codify the rules and take steps to initiate it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like fun!!! grin cool
No Savage 22. I guess I'll have to think about #1.

Steve

“Alive in JESUS!”
NRA LIFE MEMBER

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Count me in!!...but, uh..."mailing targets back and forth"?..., not with stamps, right?

(PS, I'm counting my Savage-Anschutz as a qualifying Savage 22), my handicap is I only have one non-bolt savage 22, with a ruff chamber)

(PPS, unless you really mean "any" gun, then I'm using my BSA MkIII for every event, it has a lever not a bolt)

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
No, no! I assumed everybody knew this was a Savage contest!! My bad if I didn't mention that- and I guess I didn't. frown

We'll have to get some discussion re: what constitutes a "modern" savage. Perhaps a 4th category for late issue Savage bolt guns/target guns.

If it were "any" gun, I would unlimber a Model 52 and scorch your ears, ha ha!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was just looking at a Lyman Junior Targetspot, and it came off a pre 64, 52. I thought it would look good on the 19, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does Savage/Anschutz qualify?

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I was just looking at a Lyman Junior Targetspot, and it came off a pre 64, 52. I thought it would look good on the 19, Joe.

That it would.

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by KeithNyst
Does Savage/Anschutz qualify?

Looks like we will need a 4th category. It wouldn't be fair to the guys shooting 19's and 23's to have to compete against Anschutz's, IMO. Unless the membership thinks otherwise? What say y'all? I want to keep this as democratic as possible.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/11/16.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
The only savage 22 I have would be the 22HP does one of these count? and would a stith & scope count also?

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How about Steven's from after Savage purchased the company and house branded versions? Steven's 416's & the very similar Ranger's are ones that comes to mind. ...and I say yes to 1899's in 22 HP as long as you use Marble's adapters & 22 Long Rifle ammunition (with the undersized bullets they should be easy to beat).

Gene
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When you say "any sight", you mean scopes too?

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's OK Gary, when I get my bean shooter tuned up, I'll give those Anschutz guys two x rings, don't want to hurt their feelings, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
^^++1 what GeneB asked about Stevens 416!

JeffG
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Aye, any sight means scopes too. I don't have a problem with 416's, Rangers, etc.- fine guns. As long as it falls under the corporate umbrella of Savage...

As for .22HP's, I'm inclined to say ok- as long as they fire cast bullets at .22 rimfire velocities. What says the peanut gallery?

I view this as a group effort, based on the positive responses on the thread a week or two ago. I see my role merely as moderator and facilitator. What I stated earlier was my viewpoint. That said, as self designated moderator shocked smile I will codify all the input in two weeks and carve the rules in stone. We gotta start somewhere.

I really don't want to see this develop into anything but a fun informal event - a means to further the fellowship of our fine group.

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
What I'm waiting to see is someone putting a scope on a 101 and outshooting everybody!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like fun! Count me in. A 1914 pump at 25 yards hmmmmm.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd say since we're a Savage collector's group, that one of the categories should limited to pre-1960 Savage/Stevens/house brand 22's. Could even do 2, one with any sights/scopes and another open to only period sights. At least one other category open to any and all Savage involved guns, including things like the Savage Anschutz or modern bull barrel 17's.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gary, Rimfire Central has some .22 targets in PDFs format.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a pre-war checkered Savage 29A pump that I would be willing to try this out on.

Gun was my late grandfather's squirrel tool.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
so if 416's are in, then Ranger M75 pumps qualify too?

JeffG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,612 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.