-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F

Coming to Colorado unit 55 from Southwestern PA for my first DIY elk hunt for the 2016 2nd rifle season any tips for the area would be greatly appreciated made a trip out to camp and scout in may for 5 days drove Taylor pass and parked first day by Taylor lake and did some looking around the area but located no elk I know patterns will change buy the time hunting season arrives did see 4 cows on Tincup pass on day 3 questions I would like to ask are. 1. What is the weather like in late October. 2. What are some good areas to look at in unit 55. 3. What are some items that you would consider must have gear. 4. How many hunters in this unit for 2nd season. 5. Will calls help any during this time of year.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'll go backwards answering your quetions

5. No not really, doesn't hurt to have a cow call with you while moving around the woods making noise, but not a requirement.

4. Lots. It is a popular OTC unit, you will not be alone.

3. Warm and cold, wet and dry gear. GPS with altimeter. If you have to search for elk, mark your elevation when you find fresh sign. Go around the mountain near that elevation, so if you can't find more signs to figure out where they are going for feed/bedding

2. Always hard to tell, but if you see nothing near Taylor try moving SE towards the 551 border. I think more of the pressure ends up being around Taylor or closer towards Crested Butte.

1. Never can tell. It can still be rather warm, like long pats.long t hunting with a light jacket or vest in the morning. Or, it can be a foot of snow and freezing temps. Just the way it is up there. Be ready for everything.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Be aware that the elk seasons are a week later than usual this year,so a little or a lot of snow could happen

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure you have chains for your vehicle in case it gets nasty. I always carry 2 sets so I can chain all four wheels. Have only needed them a couple of times but sure were handy.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
fecole30: Hello ! Here is some information from summitpost.org/ on Fossil Ridge Wilderness area, which is 8 miles south of Taylor Park Reservior.

Lot of good photos and a wealth of information on terrain, hopefully this might help you see terrain since you have never hunted here before. Good Luck ! Mile high shooter has given you some good info also. Article credit Jon Bradford.

http://www.summitpost.org/square-top-mountain-fossil-ridge-wild/154442

HH in Pa

Last edited by Hungry Horse; 08/31/16.
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Be prepared for winter weather. Single digits with snow is not unusual. Leaves are already dropping at my house.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm from NEPA and also going out to gmu 55. It's my 4th trip there and I do a DIY hunt in 3rd season. This year will be 2nd week. I'm 3 for 3 on bulls ,my son went one year and got a bull and my 2 cousins are 6 for 8 on bulls. My best info for you is get a good pack rated at 200lbs. Buy all very lite gear and pack lite as possible. Park at edge of national forest and hike at least 10 gps miles back in. Set up camp and hunt from there. Keep in mind it will take 2 or 3 trips to get elk and gear out so get in shape. We have no problem seeing bulls but it's not easy packing them out. Good luck

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Heck lets all just load up and head for 55 this year!! hahahahaha. too much traffic for me gave that one up years ago

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Funny the only hunters we see are when we park and the first couple miles of the hike. When we come out with bulls we always get quizzed on where we were. Simple honest answer ,10 miles in and hunt from there. Getting a bull out from that distance is alot of work. Taking meat off the bone is a must. Just got back from a successful ram hunt in alaska, that is alot harder then how we hunt in Colorado.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
congrats on the Alaska ram yep used to do the same up in 55 went up Texas creek as far as possible then started hiking from there 66 y o and bum knees those days are gone for me!!!!! Good luck!!! Enjoy while you can

IC B3

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Thanks Mohchick . I don't have to many years left of that kind of hunting . The scenery is awesome in the area your talking about.love hunting the back country ,but the numerous trips out with all the Weight are physically and mentally exhausting. I might start looking into an outfitter for some help otherwise my hunts are limited. I think you'll love a kodiak deer hunt. NoT that expensive, you'll see 50 deer a day and the territory isn't that hard to hunt. Plus lots of brown bear to keep you entertained.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep my s i l's Idaho moose hunt, that I went and filmed was the last pack out for me. Right knee never recovered.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Pahunter69
Just got back from a successful ram hunt in alaska, that is alot harder then how we hunt in Colorado.

Nice, congrats1 Any photos?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Story on alaska super site forum. Under brwnbr -jake Jefferson ram hunt. It was a gift hunt for my son

F
OP Offline
F
Thanks Everyone for the information

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1234, 160user, 204guy, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,619
Posts18,455,018
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.