Print Thread
Hop To
B
boliep Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I would like to trade a Pre 64 Model 70 featherweight in 308 for something and thought I would look here before the classified section.

The rifle's serial number 4456xx which is a 1958 made rifle. It is not a collectors rifle but in great condition. It does not have the front sight hood and the swivels have been changed plus it is bedded with the barrel free floated. On the other hand it has a bore that is bright and sharp plus it is accurate and a great hunting rifle. The bluing is in good condition and the stock is too with very little in the way of rub marks.

I am open for trades to other Pre 64 Model 70's with a preference for a 30-06. Others I would consider is Montana Rifle Company products, a low diget serial number Winchester Classic, a Winchester Extreme Condition, or (blasphemy) an older Remington 700.

I can share plenty of pictures if you provide an email address.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good luck with your trade. Are just finding out you don't like the short 308 or what? My buddy's been using the 30-06 for longer than I have and he went to a 308 back in '09 and hasn't had any regrets. He says he actually prefers it over the ol 06. I always tell him he has a few screws loose, when he brings it up... crazy.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
boliep Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I am the opposite of your buddy in that I prefer the 30-06 over most calibers. I cannot like the 308 for some reason. I have had and used several in that caliber through the years but they always get sold or traded.

There is no need for this rifle to sit in the safe when someone else might enjoy it and I can get something new to fiddle with.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
boliep, I am in total agreement with you. I can't bring myself to like the squat little round either. I much prefer the 30-06: It just seems right, where the 308 seems weird. Some guys, however, love the little bastid. My experience probably almost mirrors yours. In that I wanted to try to make myself like it, but whatever I tried, I was not going to be convinced. I had a very nice pre 64 model 70, stainless Ruger Hawkeye in a nice walnut stock, a Winchester model 100. After giving them all a fair shake, I sent them down the road. I believe BobinNH is the same way when it comes to the 308. I know there is someone out there that would love to trade their 30-06 for your 308 win. Hell, there's guys out there that swear the 308 matches the 30-06 in ballistics, is far more accurate, and is easier to load for. Muledeer/JB says you can stuff the case with manure and it will still shoot good...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're right, bsa. Some guys just like that squat little .308 round. Damn if I know why. smile

Just had a colorful conversation with a buddy who loves that .308 cartridge yesterday.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're right, bsa. Some guys just like that squat little .308 round. Damn if I know why. smile

Just had a colorful conversation with a buddy who loves that .308 cartridge yesterday.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have both in Pre 64 FWT's and haven't shot either one in a long time. From past experience no critter will tell the difference between them with a properly placed bullet. I think my 308 has a slight edge on the 06 with NBT 165gr IIRC.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Local_dirt & Bsa: Among the knowledgeable Riflemen I know (and I know a LOT of them!) I have never heard even ONE of them disparage the 308 Winchester cartridge nor its performance on game animals or at the range!
My mouth is simply agape at the ignorance you two espouse!
Let me list just a couple of my experiences with the 308 Winchester I have had over the last 50 years!
My favorite go to high country (back pack Hunting) Rifle is a Remington 700 S/A in 308 Winchester with it I have killed all manner of game including Elk, Mt. Goat, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear, Blacktailed Deer, Whitetailed Deer and I have seen Moose brought to bag with one shot from a 308 Winchester Rifle!
By the way one of the Mt. Goats I killed with that 308 Winchester Rifle is listed in the Boone & Crockett all time records book!
A Remington 700 Varmint Special in 308 Winchester that I bought new and let one of my workmates (Felix M "Bud" Solis) talk me out of, won the Washington State Silhouette Championship some years back with it!
That Rifle was so accurate (all factory stock by the way!) that I considered using it on extra long range Prairie Dog Hunts before I sold it!
I have NEVER owned a Rifle in caliber 308 Winchester that did not obtain AT LEAST good accuracy and that includes a couple of Winchester Model 88's!
For either of you to try and disparage this wonderful and versatile cartridge is just plain ignorant/ludicrous!
Both of your feeble and ill conceived attempts at disparagement of this wonderful cartridge has fallen FLAT!
Reconsider your opinions, or at least for your individual reputations don't espouse them in public!
Sheesh!
LONG live the 308 Winchester (64 years old now and still going strong!)
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Relax. They didn't infer it wouldn't work on any animal you mentioned, or that it was inaccurate.

I'd take the .308 almost any day over a .30-06, but that doesn't mean much when comparing the two.

Last edited by battue; 08/14/16.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Local_dirt & Bsa: Among the knowledgeable Riflemen I know (and I know a LOT of them!) I have never heard even ONE of them disparage the 308 Winchester cartridge nor its performance on game animals or at the range!
Let me list just a couple of my experiences with the 308 Winchester I have had over the last 50 years!
My favorite go to high country (back pack Hunting) Rifle is a Remington 700 S/A in 308 Winchester with it I have killed all manner of game including Elk, Mt. Goat, Mule Deer, Antelope, Black Bear, Blacktailed Deer, Whitetailed Deer and I have seen Moose brought to bag with one shot from a 308 Winchester Rifle!
By the way one of the Mt. Goats I killed with that 308 Winchester Rifle is listed in the Boone & Crockett all time records book!
A Remington 700 Varmint Special in 308 Winchester that I bought new and let one of my workmates (Felix M "Bud" Solis) talk me out of, won the Washington State Silhouette Championship some years back with it!
That Rifle was so accurate (all factory stock by the way!) that I considered using it on extra long range Prairie Dog Hunts before I sold it!
I have NEVER owned a Rifle in caliber 308 Winchester that did not obtain AT LEAST good accuracy and that includes a couple of Winchester Model 88's!
For either of you to try and disparage this wonderful and versatile cartridge is just plain ignorant/ludicrous!
Both of your feeble and ill conceived attempts at disparagement of this wonderful cartridge has fallen FLAT!
Reconsider your opinions, or at least for your individual reputations don't espouse them in public!
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Like I said, some guys love the little 308 and some don't. Sorry to have offended you. Take a chill pill would be my best suggestion. I also know BobinNH isn't fond of the 308 either. Just doesn't float his boat or mine either. Let me just say this: The 308 offers no advantage over the 30-06 in the pre 64 model 70 Winchester. More parts in the rifle over all make it a little heavier too. In a short action it might rule, only because you can't chamber a 30-06 in one... laugh

BSA MAGA
IC B3

B
boliep Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks for the great response in such a short time. I think I have replied to and sent pictures to everyone that has requested them.

To answer some questions that have been asked:

1. The serial number does match between the bolt and the action.

2. I get groups of about 1 1/2 inch with Remington CoreLokt 150 grain ammo. Others can probably do better but I am getting some age on me.

3. For the people not interested in trading that have pointed out the obvious that I could sell the rifle and buy whatever I want, I will sell it for $1050.00 shipped and insured in the lower 47. California is out and Alaska and Hawaii would have higher shipping. Your FFL will need to accept from an individual.

4. While my preference is 30-06, that is not necessarily mandatory.

B
boliep Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

Thanks for all of the interest. The rifle has been traded.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good to hear. Good luck with your new rifle..

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good thing we've got you around to pontificate on everything you know.. and don't.

The reason for my statement was to merely add some color to the topic. The reason for your reply was to simply throw dirt.

Now go FOAD.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Good thing we've got you around to pontificate on everything you know.. and don't.

The reason for my statement was to merely add some color to the topic. The reason for your reply was to simply throw dirt.

Now go FOAD.

That's a nice way to put it... laugh Like I've said before, some guys love the short little pud, some guys hate it. No reason for anyone to get their panties in a wad over it. I'm also thinking boliep tried it, like many here have, decided he didn't like it as much as a 270 or 30-06. No harm in that at all either. I dislike the .223 rem too and much prefer the 22-250 over it, but that doesn't mean I don't shoot a .223 rem and know the advantages it has over it's bigger brethren... To simply call someone an idiot because he doesn't prefer the same things you do, says a whole lot about that persons character and the lack of couth they so unwittingly seek to share with others... wink

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 300_savage, 222Sako, 30378, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,514 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,510
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.