Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
domit Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
anybody put a burras fast fire on a 94 in the rear drill and tap spot?

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put one on a Guide gun, the principle would be the same.

Very fast target acquisition, light, and unobtrusive.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by domit
anybody put a burras fast fire on a 94 in the rear drill and tap spot?

Yep, got one on a 7-30 Waters.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
domit Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks. thought it might work local gun shop no help. buy it and try it is there moto , now i can try it . thanks again!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
At age 67 I no longer could see the front sight on my Browning 65 218 Bee. It had already been taped for a lyman receiver sight. I bought a Fastfire with the idea of putting it on the Browning. I pulled the Lyman and had a Williams 5D receiver sight that I figured I could make work somehow. Pulled the piece that holds the screw in aperture disc and found 4 taped holes underneath. These holes are the same size as what Burris uses and two of them matched the spacing and centered the Fastfire over the receiver. Took ten minutes to install. This was the same Williams 5D sight that the '94 Winchester uses. This worked out very well, Once in a great while I get lucky.
Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad this was posted. I am considering these for my dads shotgun and my .22

If you dont mind a little derail, how do these fastfires hold up to recoil? Easy to adjust? Maintain zero reasonably well?

Thanks

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes to all the questions. Well, maybe with the exception of "easy to adjust". They are not hard, just different, no clicks but a graduated wheel you put on a screwdriver.

I never used it, just turned the screws in the needed direction a little at a time until I had it zeroed. It stayed right there afterwards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Fastfire III model has replaced the friction adjustments and locking screws of the II model with click adjustments that are pretty consistent and repeatable on my sample of one. Also, you can replace the battery without taking the sight off of the firearm.

[Linked Image]

Never put one on a Winchester 94 but had one on a Marlin 1894 for a while. The Burris mounts are made for the 336/1895 frame where it fits nicely as can be seen in the pic of the Guide Gun above but on the 1894 receiver you have to use the two front holes or it hangs over the back edge. I assume that won't be the case if you use the normal scope mounting holes on a Winchester. That's a Fastfire II in this older picture but a III would look just the same.

I liked it a lot in this application. Just put the bead on the target and shoot.

[Linked Image]

Just for the fun of it I put my III on the front scope mount of a Ruger 77 .308. It's pretty easy to whang the heck out of a steel plate at 200 yards with it. The 3 MOA dot centers the 12" (6 MOA) target perfectly at that range - just put the dot on the target and fire away.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
domit Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
good info. my 45 colt is being set up for cougar hunt and will be tree top shooting. 300 gr cast out of the trapper. a friend got one with his gg in 4570 and cat just folded thanks again,

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fast fire... Can you shoot as accurately as a 2x scope? Much more accurately than iron sights??

How does it work for you? I have a model64 30-30 with shotty buckhorn sights which I think is about as useless as... (hooters on Hillary)

Last edited by Bugger; 08/21/16.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! I had just about given up on ever using my old model 94 past rock throwing distance.

I have a Fastfire I got in a trade a while back just sitting in the box. I'm going to dig it out and see how it works for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bugger
Fast fire... Can you shoot as accurately as a 2x scope? Much more accurately than iron sights??

How does it work for you? I have a model64 30-30 with shotty buckhorn sights which I think is about as useless as... (hooters on Hillary)

As accurately as a scope, IME no. More accurately than iron sights, maybe, it depends on your vision; faster than iron sights, very probably yes.

The Fastfire, even in its latest iteration, gives you a somewhat indistinct aiming point. Not all blobby by any means, but it’s a point of light, not a clearly defined reticle. Like any sight, if you match the target to the sight you can do some pretty fine shooting, but in this case that means something like plastering the dot onto the middle of a classic bullseye target or some such. I’ve shot some nice groups at 50 and 100 yards with mine but I would be the first to say I could probably have bettered them with even a 2X scope, but only slightly.

That said, its forte is very fast acquisition, light weight and a wide open field of view. You look through the little window and find the dot, put it on target and fire. With both eyes open your field of view is as unlimited as using open sights but you don’t have to line up the front and rear sight. The dot doesn’t even need to be centered in the window, it can be right at the edge, but the bullet is going to hit whatever the dot is covering so your head position is not critical at all. Obviously it also weighs a lot less than even a 2x scope and on a lever action rifle will let you carry it with your whole hand around the action.

As I said in one of my earlier threads on my Fastfire, if you want to dot the “i” on a Pepsi can at 75 yards every single time you might be better off with a different sight, but if you want to find the can and hit it dead center really quickly the Fastfire is great for that.

To those that say so what, I can do that with peep sights – yes, you can, and so could I. But my eyes aren’t as good as they used to be, those front sights on barrels shorter than 24” are getting a bit fuzzy, but no such problem exists with the Fastfire or similar reflex sight. I still like peep sights on long barreled rifles but on a carbine style and especially a handgun the Fastfire definitely has a place.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
It's a thing hitter, not a group maker. I'd not want to be a thing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
That FF isn't too big, looks IMHO like some of the peep sights in overall body dim..........nice to see a helper for old eyes that doesn't detract from the classic lines of old lever guns.

Never liked scopes on Win/Marlins. Fastfire looks like a total winner.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/04/16.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
For those of us that have the top eject M 94's Turnbull mfg make to different mounts to put a Fast fire on these rifles with out drilling them.
One in the rear sight slot and one that's a small bracket that screws into the holes on the side of the receiver where a peep sight would attach.

www.turnbullmfg.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like that Turnbull mount.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
For those of us that have the top eject M 94's Turnbull mfg make to different mounts to put a Fast fire on these rifles with out drilling them.
One in the rear sight slot and one that's a small bracket that screws into the holes on the side of the receiver where a peep sight would attach.

www.turnbullmfg.com

Here's my Browning 65 with a fastfire 111 on the Williams 5D sight. This is the same sight used on Winchester and Marlin rifles. Bolts right on the Williams crosspiece with no modification. I looked into the Turnbull mounts but they are twice what a Williams sight would cost. I'm very pleased how this worked out. Taking a quick look at Ebay, the Williams sights run about 25 to 50 dollars.
Doc
[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
648 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,653 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.