Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Hey guys, you know me I love my pre 64 model 70's. This brings up the question of which ones I'd hold on to forever and which ones I'd give up to go to a better home. I'm curious as to which ones you'd hang on to and never get rid of, if that's something you do. This question isn't for the ones that hang on to every rifle they have ever had. But more for the ones that trade and sell on occasion like I've been know to do... Here's my list along with some pictures and reasons I would hang on to them or get rid of them:

First one up front and center. I would never get rid of my 30-06 fwt. I've said this on numerous occasions, this rifle has kicked many a damn good 30-06 rifle out of the safe, and for good reason:

[Linked Image]

Next one up is my 338 win mag. Almost since I started elk hunting back in the mid 90's, I've had a 338 win mag. My first elk fell to the mighty cartridge and it made a believer out of me. Also most guys around here think it's not an elk rifle, unless it has "338 Winchester magnum" stamped on the barrel.. laugh. This one is cool because it holds 4 in the magazine, weighs in at 8 pounds on the nose and balances and packs wonderfully. The ergo's of the Brown pounder really help to mitigate recoil too.
[Linked Image]

Now here are the ones I will probably end up sending down the road eventually:

375 H&H. Beautiful rifle in every regard. I packed it for 4 days during last years elk hunt. It handled very well for a heavy rifle. I like the balance and is perfect for carrying for a big heavy rifle. If I were going to Africa, this is the one I'd take. Realistically, I'll never go to Africa, so this one is far too powerful for anything in north America with the exception of big bears in Alaska. The 375 H&H is something I wanted for a long time, because it is iconic and has mucho cool factor. However, the cold hard truth of the matter is I don't need anything this large/powerful for hunting around here. The rifle is damned accurate and I can always count on it to nail the orange dot on the first shot. Something I've come to expect from this rifle. No one has dibbs on it yet, however I believe powder (or maybe someone else here) loves the stock laugh. Which, by the way, is the oldstle "coyote bomber". :
[Linked Image]

Second on the list of not needed:
Bobin is going to be mad, but I have no sentimental attachment to the 270 Winchester cartridge. I've tried it and really like it. It's probably the cleanest pre 64 model 70 I've had in my hands. Besides the new in the box 270 fwt that I could have bought at the same time I bought this one, but passed. Even though it was only $350.00 more at the time... This one was said to be, "my most accurate 270 Winchester", by my friend that I bought it from. It does indeed shoot very well and as it stands, is the best handling Winchester model 70 I own. I love the McMillan hunters compact stock. The rifle weighs in at around 7 1/2 pounds as it sits now, maybe a tad less. I need to re-weigh it with the lighter K4. This rifle rocks, but do I really need it when I have a 30-06? You know the love hate relationship between those 2 cartridges laugh. Gunnut308 has dibbs on this one:
[Linked Image]

Now that you guys know how I really feel, what is your take on what you can live without? Thanks fellow Winchester loons... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'd keep the 375. It's a very useful caliber and never say never to not going to Africa. A plains game hunt is cheaper than a guided Elk hunt. I'll load my 375 down and shoot deer with it. Then again I'm a few grains shy of a full charge smile My new deer rifle is a Heym double rifle in 500 B.P.E. IF I could have only one rifle it would be a 375 H&H.

You didn't ask but I'd ditch those plastic stocks:)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Were it me...the .30-06 would never go anywhere and the one most prone to disappear would be the .270, but that's just my personal prejudice. The magnums, I dunno. I'd probably have to hang onto at least one for sure---the .375, because it's just a very cool classic cartridge. I'm not so sure I'd really want to give ANY of them up, though.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I wouldn't get rid of the 270 either. If I were going on a deer hunt and had to pack a rifle and the 270FWt and the 06 FWT were side by side the 06 would get left home.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .375 H&H goes hand in glove with the .30-06, not only because of rather similar trajectories, but because it takes over beyond the '06's ability on dangerous game.

Paired with your never-getting-rid-of '06, the .375 H&H and a .243 Winchester would make just about a perfect 3-gun set.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been through this drill. More than once actually.

I always end up with a 270 and a 375.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I've ended up with that very combo but there are days I end up with a 7x57 and the 375 H&H.
So I have all three.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But---but, your sig line!??!?? shocked

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn hard choices BSA, I'd have to go '06 and 375 buddy, equally hard to beat those two for anything anywhere. wink

Trump Won!
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
For myself, in your situation, I'd move the 375 along. I'd try to keep the rest!
If you keep the 06 and sell the 270 (exactly the opposite of what I'd do) I would swap stocks!
That 270 is a lot of rifle, I'd happily hunt that the rest of my days.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't part with any, but if I had to it would be the 338

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
30-06 and a 375 would cover just about everything....
What I would do is keep them all...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider

But---but, your sig line!??!?? shocked

Oh.....that? Those are what I play with. I answered the question like someone asked me to reduce it to just two....I still like 7 mags. grin

In real life though, I have been through a purge...about 1994 or so I sold EVERYTHING. All 300's, 338's,280, 30/06, 7 RM's,257's, etc etc ad nauseum.

When the dust settled, there were two left....a pre 64 M70 FW in 270,and a 375 H&H.

I have built things up a bit since then but never in the numbers and variety I used to own. Likely a 270 would be the last one standing.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Somehow, I knew Bob was going to say that.. laugh I too went through a reduction of rifles back in 2001. Got rid of all but 1 300 win mag and it was a left hand Ruger m77MKII. I had a beautiful 300WBY, 2 stainless 338's, 4 30-06's, a beautiful mauser 98 sporterized 8mm mauser that was one of my most accurate rifles, a 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester model 70 and a boat paddle 300 win magnum. All went down the road. I had major regrets letting some of them go, as I just had to try to force myself to use the lefty rifle and what I thought to be the best all around cartridge for deer and elk hunting in my area. Was it a learning experience. Hell yes! I learned that I did not like the 300 win mag as much as I'd hoped, frowned on the amount of recoil it produced and didn't like how it tore up a lot of meat (I know bullet selection, bullet selection). I also found out I hated the lefty rifle. Bolt handle dug into my back when it was slung on those rare occasions, bolt manipulation was like a monkey fu cking a football. It's taken me a while to get the rifle collection back up and running, but one thing I've learned is I still prefer the m1917 over just about any other rifle action and I still prefer the 30-06 and 338 win mag over all cartridges for my style of hunting. I make reference to coming back full circle sometimes and for me, that means good ol 30-06 and the rifle I grew up becoming so accustomed to. Some old habits are very hard to break.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm glad those are decisions I don't need/want to make at this point. I've added several rifles this year and only have one that will get adopted out. I have a spare pre64 M70 270 FWT that will eventually (sooner than later) need to find a new home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[quote=bsa1917hunter]Hey guys, you know me I love my pre 64 model 70's. This brings up the question of which ones I'd hold on to forever and which ones I'd give up to go to a better home. I'm curious as to which ones you'd hang on to and never get rid of, if that's something you do. This question isn't for the ones that hang on to every rifle they have ever had. But more for the ones that trade and sell on occasion like I've been know to do... Here's my list along with some pictures and reasons I would hang on to them or get rid of them:

First one up front and center. I would never get rid of my 30-06 fwt. I've said this on numerous occasions, this rifle has kicked many a damn good 30-06 rifle out of the safe, and for good reason:

[Linked Image]

Given where you live and quality of todays factory ammunition I would keep the .30-06 Featherweight. This rifle can compete with todays featherweights which is remarkable.

I would dump the rest in following order from first to last: .375H&H, .270, .338WinMag.

I hope that helps.

I only have one rifle .300 Magnum Winchester, therefore, I have nothing to dump. I don't hunt little stuff or very large stuff so buying anything else would be waste of money and space.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A good shooting '06 always has a place in the rack.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For me, it's the '51 30-06 standard grade that shoots lights out, and the '59 338 Win Mag that you sold me, BSA. grin

I thought I had dibs on the 270 FWT?! wink

Eric

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

I ended up with a custom 35 Whelen,.....and a 270 Fwt.

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EricM
For me, it's the '51 30-06 standard grade that shoots lights out, and the '59 338 Win Mag that you sold me, BSA. grin

Eric

Funny, I thought you had dibbs on my 30-06 fwt?? laugh. Damn, I can't keep this stuff straight... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, even slavek is making sense in this thread... crazy

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Where's scotty beretzs? I'm thinking he'd hang on to his 338 and dump the rest of them if he had to narrow it down... laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn't get rid of any of them... But that's me... I don't own any pre64 just the classics.. Of all my classics and South Carolina made model 70 if I had to just keep one it would be my 325 Wsm only reason my wife bought it for me and she knows what I like because majority of the time it's the rifle I grab. With 200gr partitions I'm ready for anything in North America

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
BSA you talked me into it....I'm selling off the entire M70 collection.

Awh who am I kidding smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
The .270 and .338... Keep the rest..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd keep the 338 and the 270 to be totally honest. You built the 338 for your elk hunting needs and it's perfect in my opinion for anything larger than deer.

The 270 is just a damned good deer rifle which will easily back up your 338 on the mountain if you need it for elk.

The 375 and 30-06 are cool but I'm a 338/35 Magnum fan and a 270/7mm fan on the small side.

Besides, I have a bunch of 220/225 grain BBCs for the 338 and 150 BBCs for my 270 WSM... grin

Semper Fi
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Any or all of the plastic stocked ones...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Don't sell any of them. If you had 30-40 of them hanging around I could see trimming things back. But anything under a dozen is about right.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Eric

Funny, I thought you had dibbs on my 30-06 fwt?? laugh. Damn, I can't keep this stuff straight... laugh

Actually, I'm cool with that too! grin

Eric

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Eric

I'm extremely honored. That says a lot, because I know you have some really nice rifles. One in which Mr. Roger Rule, himself, used to consider one of his "favorites".

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Keep the 06 sell the rest spend the money on hunting trips , I think that's what hunting rifles are for?😜

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... Yeah, you might have a point.. laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
I'd keep the 338 and the 270 to be totally honest. You built the 338 for your elk hunting needs and it's perfect in my opinion for anything larger than deer.

The 270 is just a damned good deer rifle which will easily back up your 338 on the mountain if you need it for elk.

The 375 and 30-06 are cool but I'm a 338/35 Magnum fan and a 270/7mm fan on the small side.

Besides, I have a bunch of 220/225 grain BBCs for the 338 and 150 BBCs for my 270 WSM... grin

Excellent advice. I'm wondering if you started out on a 270, and if that influences your decision?

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Well, put me in line on the 270 if it comes up.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A guy needs a deer rifle, a thumper ... And a spare rifle.

Sell the 375 and keep the rest!

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
In all honesty a guy needs all the riles he can get then one more before he starts looking for shot guns.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
In all honesty a guy needs all the riles he can get then one more before he starts looking for shot guns.

The only shotgun I need is my left handed 870 wingmaster. It's won 100 times what I paid for it. Now, back to the subject at hand: Rifles... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Ok rifles it is then I await the big brown truck (UPS) sometime next week for two SG's a Swift and a 300 H&H. Do I need them NO, do I want them Hell YES:)

The fact that I can pull out a rifle for anything from Chipmunks to Elephant gives me great comfort in my old age:)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd never let a good shooting 06 FW go. I could live without the 375 if they were mine. All nice though.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Ok rifles it is then I await the big brown truck (UPS) sometime next week for two SG's a Swift and a 300 H&H. Do I need them NO, do I want them Hell YES:)

The fact that I can pull out a rifle for anything from Chipmunks to Elephant gives me great comfort in my old age:)

Ha ha. If we were all like Ken: elkhunterNM and gunner, we'd just use our 375 H&H's for everything... laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Horseman
I'd never let a good shooting 06 FW go. I could live without the 375 if they were mine. All nice though.

That's what I'm thinking horseman. I'd kick myself real hard if I ever got rid of that 30-06 fwt. That's one I'll never let go of. I hope... laugh

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.