Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tedthorn
If your fellow prone match competitors knew a brake got you that far off you're game in a competition you shouldn't be surprised to have one on both sides next week.

It isn't just myself, nor close. NOBODY I have seen will lie down next to a guy with a brake. It is a rare occasion when someone brings one to a match. Mostly guys who don't know any better or are new to shooting matches. That person is made to go shoot down on the end away from the others, the times I have seen it happen. Have also seen it where they shoot before or after the other shooters.

I am not saying brakes don't have their place(even though I don't use them). Merely that a prone match isn't one of them....

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Have you ever tried shooting a prone match lying next to a guy with a brake? Or are you just talking out your ass?

Nope not a match, just tried to shoot targets laying next to machine guns (M60, 240B, M2, M249, and MK19). I managed and didn't complain about the muzzle blast from them. I figured it was my job to deal with adversities.

Originally Posted by Kenneth

You're an ass,

I sandwiched my boy? You have no clue what your talking about.

And yeah, I'll pack up and go home even though I have at least two hours invested and a bunch of coin, all because the range is proliferated with Sallys who need brakes on .308's,

Pound sand.

You allowed you boy to remain between two braked rifles (sandwiched), to the point where "He lost all interest in the rifle range." You didn't say how you tried to remedy the problem, you just bitched about it here. I'm sure an amicable solution could have been made if you had taken the time to talk to the other shooters, and could have been a great teaching moment for your boy on how to deal with other people. Maybe then your boy wouldn't hate the rifle range.

Sure I'm an ass.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Daveh
Real men don't need or use brakes.......

Shoot enough, you'll welcome a reduction... but yeah, the few rounds most folks shoot a year, you can do without a brake.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Brakes at prone matches are a major nuisance. You definitely don't want to be lying down next to a braked rifle. When someone with a brake shows up, most just shake their heads. It makes nobody happy, nor should it.

I have seen where they make the braked rifle guy either shoot before everyone else, or after. What a PITA. Not only does it prolong the time of the match, it also imparts an unfair advantage. I don't think they should be allowed in certain matches. The brake runners should run their own matches, and blow dirt and grass all over each other, and each other's scope lenses.

I have no problem if someone wants to use a brake for whatever reason, but it should not affect other shooters.........

Right there is the problem with America, perceive a problem and want special regulations/rules to eliminate the perceived problem. We're becoming a nation of pansies one rule/regulation at a time.

And south of me, the pansies paddle kayaks and want all the shallow water to themselves....

I find it hard to believe how big of a whimp most people have become.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A suppressor solves both problems... just sayin'...

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

It is the best solution by far, but a brake doesn't take a year to get.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So one is a "whimp" because they find dirt and grass hitting them in the face and sticking to their lenses annoying while trying to shoot small groups at long ranges.

And the guys who DON'T USE brakes are the whimps.

What is hard to believe is the stupid $hit people say around here.

Let me guess, you have never tried shooting a prone match next to a brake either. Because their is nobody who would choose to shoot next to a braked rifle as opposed to an unbraked one....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Have you ever tried shooting a prone match lying next to a guy with a brake? Or are you just talking out your ass?

Nope not a match, just tried to shoot targets laying next to machine guns (M60, 240B, M2, M249, and MK19). I managed and didn't complain about the muzzle blast from them. I figured it was my job to deal with adversities.

You're an ass,

I sandwiched my boy? You have no clue what your talking about.

And yeah, I'll pack up and go home even though I have at least two hours invested and a bunch of coin, all because the range is proliferated with Sallys who need brakes on .308's,

Pound sand.

You allowed you boy to remain between two braked rifles (sandwiched), to the point where "He lost all interest in the rifle range." You didn't say how you tried to remedy the problem, you just bitched about it here. I'm sure an amicable solution could have been made if you had taken the time to talk to the other shooters, and could have been a great teaching moment for your boy on how to deal with other people. Maybe then your boy wouldn't hate the rifle range.

Sure I'm an ass.

Again, you have no clue what your talking about, but keep assuming, it only solidifys the ass statement, not that I really needed the help.

I was there, you weren't,

get it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nope not a match,.

That's what I thought.

You're an ass...

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Only takes a year if you waited too long to begin with...

Brakes are simply inconsiderate... brake users should be aware of their effects on other people around them, and to their own ears. We don't need more "rules".... we need less inconsiderate ass holes.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brakes are simply inconsiderate... brake users should be aware of their effects on other people around them, and to their own ears. We don't need more "rules".... we need less inconsiderate ass holes.

Nailed it....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Said the man with the muzzle brake....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While you are busy "inventing" muzzle brakes, how bout you invent one that directs gases right back at the jacka$$ using it instead of the people next to him....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a lighter side Ted, what does your subject line say?

Your words, not ours.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bait....

God did it work

Like I said

I knew this would draw a crowd

Glad I don't frequent a "publuc" range

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Originally Posted by tedthorn
Tested an Aluminum bolt on tank brake

Loud? Probably

Muzzel jump? Not much

Recoil? Not much at all

https://youtu.be/tmtpOVBzF6k

Love how all the brake-using Nancy's only think of themselves,

Nothing better than being at a public range with braked rifles on either or both sides of your bench,

Multiple people at the local range have stated to management that they need to consider dedicating a separate range for the braked rifles,

I'm tired of having items blown off my bench by the sideways blast.

Took my son to the range 3 years ago, he was 13 then and sure enough we got trapped in between two braked rifles,

He lost all interest in the rifle range.

Did I mention I hate muzzle brakes?

cry Whaaaa! Sniff sniff. Whaaaaaaa! cry

cry

I second that!

The noise and blast wave put out by some brakes is simply obnoxious. There are circumstances where that description fits their users as well.

Generally, these are my thoughts on brakes too and those that have them on rifles...

99% of the time it's someone who's waaay overcartridged and way under their perceived shooting skills...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Only takes a year if you waited too long to begin with...

Amen...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I only own one with a brake. It was a gift to me.

I know how and where to use it.

Folks are stupid in the way they use them at times. Folks are also ignorant or stupid if they don't get away from the folks that don't know how.

Suppressor is by far the ticket, but not all that many have them.

As to all this bluff about not shooting next to a brake... if it bothers you your sub conscious brain is not in the place its supposed to be to shoot well anyway, not that many even understand that.

BTW I just recall that I lied. I have 2 with brakes. The 50 has one. I have shot one a fair amount. It slaps you in the face hard, dusts and grasses you etc... but after the first shots, you understand and dont' even realize its doing it. Its as bad if not worse shooting it, than shooting next to a braked gun otherwise.

I'm not that old but so far I've learned to deal with about everything so far. Brakes when they came out just took a bit and all was good.

I do feel for folks that have to use public ranges though, they burn time and energy and then have to think about when/what and how they do things to make life continue to move forward in a "normal" manner.

I'd rather deal with a brake as a guide, than someone shooting ballistic tips. LOL that ought to stir it up.

Plugs and muffs combined, which is how you should shoot on any range anyway, cover a lot of the issues.

I pray some of you never have to shoot in the cold, heat, high winds, rain, dust, etc..... Reminds me of the day we shot offhand at perry, and the wind and rain blew so hard it snapped the 2x4 carriers in half here and there.... there was so much whining that day they had to call in for a rail car full of cheese before the afternoon was over...

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Quiet brakes don't work.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

557 members (1minute, 260Remguy, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10GaugeKS, 60 invisible), 2,140 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,287
Posts18,448,910
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.