Hop To
#11371199 08/14/16
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Just a heads up...I have recently had occasion to deal with a fellow by the name of Grant Cunningham from Behring made knives.

The man is courteous and extremely easy to deal with and shews very good customer service, the company shall receive return business.

New toy...now for that interminable wait.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a real fine lookin' knife.

I'm really likin' some of those slender blade field knives on that website.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice knife by Jr. I really like it.

Here is one daddy made that I picked up from Jim and Dee at a local knife show. Blade made from a Studebaker leaf spring......
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Update.

I have received the knife, the blade is .1065" at its thickest with a depth of .9865", the blade length is 4.3855", and the handle is 4.4895".
The convex blade geometry and depth of the blade makes this thing cut and slice like a very thin kitchen blade endowed with very bitey steel.
Whoever hafted the knife seriously knows his business as the relation of the stag flats at the sides and smooth at top and bottom makes this thing absolutely eat my Randall stag handles for comfort...very Scaglesque in feel and appearance.

I expected the sheath to be miserable and I was correct, the company would have been better served with something approaching a roughback Johnson 7-4 1/2 sheath instead of the generic pouch type (personal preference).

I shall make one up this week if I get the time and inclination.

I have used the knife on fruit and cooked meat (hot, and cold lamb roast, cold salami), cheese (mozza bella fresca, and a soft camembert), the blade cut through without deforming any of the softer material and sliced the roast without hanging up or allowing my hand/fingers to interfere.

In the next couple of weeks (when the countryside dries out) I shall go out for a night on the roo's with a mate and spend the night gutting to get a good feel for the knife.

I really do like the knife as is.

ps, my wife is going to be pissed as I spend the next week or two going through her fridge slicing and dicing everything she cannot hide or lock away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Behring knives really cut well.

Sheath must not be a Mosher. They often use Mosher sheaths and they are quite simply superb. Jack Mosher leather is extremely highly regarded. Maybe Junior is no longer using Mosher since he has the new shop in Montana. Or maybe you just don't like the style of the sheath? If it is a Mosher, it should be high quality. Maybe just not the sheath you would prefer for the knife......

IC B2

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

It is a black version of the one in the picture, and to be fair most store bought knife sheaths leave me cold.

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Update.

I had a day off work today so I whipped up a sheath for the Behring knife, I opted for something reminiscent of a Johnson Roughback but made the belt loop longer to encompass a duty belt and added another piece to sit under the blade so as to make the bottom of the sheath sturdier to inhibit blade going through my leg should I come off a horse or motorbike, and also to add a bottom stop for the wide guard to sit against.
This has the added benefit of keeping the blade more secure with less movement in the sheath, downside is a slightly thicker sheath but I am willing to go with that for the benefits.

Note that the stitching is all done with two needles and is knotted between each stitch, the thread is a black waxed and braided synthetic cord, the leather I cut down to .170" thickness, and added paracord just because it apparently seems to be de rigour.

I shall carry it around in my pocket for the next two weeks so that it loses the newness and forms to the knife.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

It should match up very well with this.

[Linked Image]

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Another day off work, it is wet and I was bored off my tits so decided to make up another sheath, but lighter this time with a smooth back somewhat like a Sullivan.
On this rendition I sourced some .097" embossing leather and changed the pattern, but retained the extra piece of internal leather under the blade (this I tapered thick at top to thin at bottom) as it adds rigidity and a bottom stop for the guard as well as retaining the knife in the sheath better...less movement, works well.

This time I also did away with the baby dots and went with brown button snaps like the old Heiser sheaths utilised, mainly because I just like using them, plus they sit closer and are easier to snap from an angle.

As an aside, the keeper strap is a separate piece of leather that is stitched to the added internal bottom layer and the side welting...this allows the keeper strap to present smooth side out, and allows easier repair should the need arise.

Regards.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It is as wet as a shag around here but as soon as it dries up enough I shall wander out and use the knife for a night gutting roo's.

And just in case any missed it, this knife is a cracker and I am well pleased with it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nicely done. Looks like you have the sheath making down. I have always felt I could make a decent enough sheath, but still have never bought the rest of the stuff I would need.

Ever use Obenauf's on your leather? Great stuff.

I like that knife.......

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

I generally just spray leather with Lanotec liquid lanolin, but do occasionally use a lanolin/beeswax mix I make up, seems to keep leather supple without causing it to collapse, and doesn't seem to encourage rust on blades.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That original sheath woulda been OK if it didn't have those metal rivets in it. Your handcrafted ones are a marked improvement over the original one. Nice work. I really like that knife.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by antlers
That original sheath woulda been OK if it didn't have those metal rivets in it. Your handcrafted ones are a marked improvement over the original one. Nice work. I really like that knife.

So do I, to the point of not using anything else since I have received it.

Being a lazy sob I just use a dressed Case moon-stick as a steel, this keeps an edge fine enough to dry shave my face and takes no effort to maintain.

But the icing on the cake is that it holds olives on the point well enough to allow me to reach into a twelve inch high glass jar and pick out the one I want.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

But the icing on the cake is that it holds olives on the point well enough to allow me to reach into a twelve inch high glass jar and pick out the one I want.

LOL.....an important function indeed....I'm sold....

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Not sure anyone will be interested but I found a fellow on ebay that supplies 2mm paracord (same as paracord but with one strand inside instead of seven. cheap as chips with postage thrown in from Hong Kong.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

138 members (257robertsimp, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 23 invisible), 1,580 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,215
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.