Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Been on a open sight kick for awhile now and spent the last two Sunday's lobbing lead out to 150 with an assortment of hardware. Absolute blast....goodbye bench work and paper!

Last Sunday...

[Linked Image]

The mighty .375's..

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Today's outing...

Buddy left his African home but we added a few more...

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Our own range...we're never bothered (well, maybe a bovine or two sometimes). grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I sight in the factory irons on my BDLs in 06 and 222. It is fun, and they were actually pretty damn functional.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Going old school...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You ought to think about getting some Rugers😛!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
And the awesome millennials...

Phil Shoemaker approved!

I strongly recommend the couch bound do not gaze directly at the pics....only steal glances from the corner of your eyes. You can't handle it...

As perfect an all around platform as has ever been conceived!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Oh,

And we played with some smaller stuff, too.... whistle

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very cool rifles. Looks like a blast. The pictures remind me of where I grew up in the high desert of Nevada, but probably montana or some place similar...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see the paddles, where's the boats?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Did you convert the Mk II's to 375? Was it Ruger or H&H and tell us about the conversion if you would.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I see the paddles, where's the boats?

Looks like a dry lake bed to me. He's chit out of luck.. laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
They're both Ruger .375 Alaskans that we dumped the Hogues and put in boat paddles.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Love these open sight threads. Someday Im going build a dedicated open sight rifle, or just buy a pre-64 with the drop comb stock.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mojo,

What sight do you have on that pump gun?

(rear type)

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MojoHand
They're both Ruger .375 Alaskans that we dumped the Hogues and put in boat paddles.

Love those boat paddle stocks. Of the three I have, only one was from the factory. .30-06, .300WM (the factory rifle) and a .338WM.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Mojo,

What sight do you have on that pump gun?

(rear type)

Travis

That's my buddy's he inherited from his grandpa. He had it D&T'd and I believe that's a Williams on the back.

The front sight wasn't painted and was kinda hard to pick up but we were ringing the steel at 100 with ease and it had been quite a while since he shot and I had never touched it (or any pump) before. Could tell it was old school...had the perfect drop at the comb for irons. Handled really slick--I can see why they were so popular up in the north woods.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda miss the old receiver sight on my pre 64s but now that my eyes are fixed i may try em again. Kimbers don't fit up with peeps to my liking but have my eye on a very nice old Husqvarna 06.

My longest shot ever on a moose [crippled] was with Lyman receiver sight on pre64 375 SG......

A rifle without scope is much nicer to carry.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
Kinda miss the old receiver sight on my pre 64s but now that my eyes are fixed i may try em again. Kimbers don't fit up with peeps to my liking but have my eye on a very nice old Husqvarna 06.

My longest shot ever on a moose [crippled] was with Lyman receiver sight on pre64 375 SG......

A rifle without scope is much nicer to carry.

Bingo!

I hunted a combo elk/Muley open hunt a few years ago wih my 77/44 loaded with 300 gr CP WFN. It was like carrying a walking stick! Awesome!

That really got me on the open sight kick and I haven't stopped. Reading Mule Deer's chapter on open sights in OORL just psyched me up even further. The only dilemma I'm facing is choosing between the No.1 RSI in 7x57 or the new Ruger .375 for this year's elk/Muley combo. As svelte as the RSI is, I'm really hooked on the .375 for now so it'll probably get the nod.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For years, a model 70 with Lyman receiver sight and sourdough/patridge front blade was the preferred combo.

I carried one for 30 years and have never felt that my scopes, used in the last decade, did much to improve my kill ratio.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
610 members (2003and2013, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,245
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.