Print Thread
Hop To
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
I am thinking I'd like to have some sort of better system for carrying ny bow on long hikes than to just carry it in my hand. I find it gets rather cumbersome on a long day,alternating hands, carrying it by the riser and then by the string etc. I used to have a Primos sling and didn't care for it, too clumsy to remove the bow quickly. From what I've seen, the String Sling looks like it would be the best idea but I've never seen anyone or talked to anyone who has used one. What do you guys use, if you use one at all?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Definitely "unload" it easy but if walking I think you would still have to keep down pressure on the string where it sits in the clip. Maybe use the riser mount exclusively??

May have to start building you a homemade model to get what you are really after.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 07/23/16.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
There used to be a place that made plates that went under your limb bolts........the top one also having a hook (to hang your bow). The plates has a small hole on each, a tab.........and from there you could attach a rifle type sling swivel.

I used to shoot a lot of 3D, so always carried my bow in my right hand, to lessen the bounce effect on my bow arm's shoulder. Also..........don't hold it when you can rest it on something.

But if you do all that, and shoot a Hoyt..........you're gonna get tired.

Switch to recurve and enjoy the lack of snaggy stuff and the lighter weight smile IMHO some are too light, feel better with a quiver attached.

Fully loaded, even with a metal riser......still lighter than a compound.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I figure a guy could make some sling tabs out of Kydex, maybe.

IC B2

X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
10gauge I agree it would be necessary to keep a hand on it for stability,which I think would be ok as the weight at least is off your arm. It looks like the fastest option to me, while perhaps sacrificing a bit of comfort compared to some of the other options. Anything that clips on could end up costing you if a shot presents itself unexpectedly. I think I will try to make something like the string sling myself, see how it works. Even just fo glassing or calling it would leave your hands free while not making you put your bow down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All you can do is try it. It is a good concept and like you said the bow can be close while glassing, hang it by string on your string hand side so it is quick to grab should the unexpected happen while gassing/calling.

Keep us posted if you end up buying one.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
X
xxclaro Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
X
Well I found I can order the actual String Sling from their website, but by the time I shipped it here it would cost about $50. I went to town and spent $14 on pieces and with a little sewing I have something similar that I think will work. The hook rests against the d-loop and balances well there, and all I need to do is raise the bow and the hook detaches. I will cover the hook in moleskin or something to make sure it doesn't click against anything.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have some hook deal that goes on the belt, bow riser lays in it (but can do string).

Rarely used it. But then I aint covering much ground or glassing where I hunt.

Just another POS to get in the way when shooting 3D. Most ranges had bow racks at each target, or guys used limb clamp bow stands.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/24/16.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Slogan outdoors or Specialty outdoor products make a sling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgsTk26MLO4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSJDOFlnDEs

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use this one:

http://www.kingscamo.com/Neo-Tech-Bow-Carrier_p_1051.html

Very quiet, easy to slip off, and I can't pull the bow directly out of it while it is hanging, and carrying it slung. It's very secure, without straps around the string and cables. The cup(s) over the cams/wheels do an excellent job of keeping the bow secure.

The loop on the end allows you to stretch the sling off of the bow when you need it, it takes one hand and about 3-5 seconds to go from slung to ready to shoot. Cabelas has one like it, I bought mine from Kings, the sling is from Tarantula archery products.

The sleeve is neoprene reinforced with elastic straps, and mine is going on it's second year of use with no stretch. The sleeve covers most cable, strings, and cams with very little change of them being damaged while moving.

I killed a cow elk at 14 yards last fall, and I "unslung" within 20 yards of her, she never heard me getting ready.

I tried the Apache sling from NAP, the buckles cracked and broke within six months. I've tried the Primos sling, and my hunting partner last year had the Primos, until I gave him one like mine. Our experience with the Primos was similar to the OP, good idea, but it didn't execute well for us. He could easily pull the bow out of the cam cups without unhooking the rest of the sling from the cable/strings.

Last edited by AH64guy; 07/24/16.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I just bought one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...dpMHsjs4CFUaCfgod-UgOEw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was a little skeptical but I really like it.

Very easy on and off and pretty light.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by FishN4Eyes

I just bought one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...dpMHsjs4CFUaCfgod-UgOEw&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was a little skeptical but I really like it.

Very easy on and off and pretty light.

Used the same thing on my 2016 Elk hunt...worked as designed for sure!

Honorary Gouger per Travis
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the snapshot bowsling system. It is quiet, all rubber = no noise, I can attach and detach in complete darkness without a sound.

http://www.gameplangear.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=22&idcategory=13]

The land of the free because of the brave.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the Primos bow sling for years. It is quiet, light and effective. I know others have hit the market since I began using these/this years ago; but, I can see no reason to switch.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,626
Posts18,455,133
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.