-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The Katmai bear cam is back
Explore.org is once again live streaming brown bears as they fish for salmon at Katmai National Park and Preserve.
Published 18 hours ago Author: Laurel Andrews, Mike Campbell

Looking for your nature fix? The Katmai bear cam has you covered.

Explore.org has once again partnered with Alaska's Katmai National Park and Preserve, providing live streaming footage throughout the summer of the park's most famous residents, its bears.

Now in its fifth year, the bear cam spotlights the creatures as they fish for salmon. Nearly 2,500 people were live streaming from one of the cameras Wednesday afternoon.

"It tends to be the most popular cam at Explore," said Zach Servideo of Fabric.Media, which works with Explore, in a recent interview. "It's pretty insane. There are already 60,000 comments and we can have hundreds of thousands of viewers in a matter of hours."

All season? "Oh, man, several million hits."

[Katmai bear cam captures pair of mysterious deaths]

That puts the Brooks bears at the top of the list of Explore's most popular critter cams. Ahead of the renowned polar bears at Churchill, Manitoba. Ahead of beluga whales in Hudson Bay. Ahead of sharks near Cape Fear, North Carolina. Ahead of puffin cams, osprey cams, eagle cams.

"And the bird community is insane," Servideo said.

Katmai, located on the Alaska Peninsula, is known for hosting a high concentration of brown bears that take advantage of spawning salmon.

Brooks Falls is considered one of the best places in the world to view brown bears, according to the Katmai National Park website, as it's one of the first places where bears have access to the salmon migrating upstream come summer.

Brooks Falls creates a temporary barrier to migrating salmon early on in the salmon run, which creates a successful fishing spot for the bears.

That's important: A large, dominant male brown bear can eat more than 30 fish a day, according to the park.

"The brown bears of Katmai are eating machines. A Katmai bear must eat a full year's worth of food in 6 months to ensure its survival," the website says.

Bears will abandon the spot later in the summer, once the fish stop moving upstream in large numbers.

[In wildlife rarity, 'supermom' grizzly sow adopts yearling in Katmai]

The best viewing for the bear cams is through the end of July, and then early September through mid-October.

"What it does, which I think is unique, is it gets access to a remote place, which many people wouldn't be able to afford a trip to," Troy Hamon, chief of management and science at Katmai National Park, told Alaska Dispatch News two years ago.

"National parks in Alaska are pretty amazing, but to a certain extent, unless you are a local rural resident, it becomes a park for the rich."

Some viewers spend hours on end tracking the Brooks bears, which have individual personalities. Lurch is a bully. Tundra has a unique coat. Bald Butt was missing hair. Holly adopted an abandoned cub.

Multiple views are set up to watch the bears through Explore.org. Explore.org is a philanthropic media organization and a multimedia division of the Annenberg Foundation that supports educational and nature programs.

On Explore.org's website, more than 100 live streaming webcams are available for every wildlife fix you'll ever need, including walrus lounging on the beach at Alaska's Round Island.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
now that is pretty cool!

If it looks good, you'll see it
If it sounds good, you'll hear it
If it's marketed right, you'll buy it
But...If it's real, you'll feel it
Kid Rock
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Small world.
My sis and BIL live in M'burg.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I've been watching this, kinda fun. I'll have to keep checking in to see the fish an bear numbers. One old guy was pulling them in one after another, while a younger bear splashes around without much success.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The river was just black with salmon today. One bear sat and stood in the same eddy the whole time, just peeling off skins and letting the rest drift to the gulls.

This must be the bear version of heaven. As long as a bigger bear isn't kicking yer ass, that is.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the bears have been lazy lately

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Experienced the ultimate in Park Ranger gone bat-[bleep] crazy there. Kid stopped to take a picture of three cubs up the tree along the boardwalk-so basically 20' up and at our level out about 30'.(Before the observation deck where photos are allowed)
She(50 yr old P Ranger) came running, screaming " No photos from the walkway",
launched herself at us and successfully blocked the lens.
Spooked not only every bear in sight, but every tourist to boot.

She couldn't have been more proud.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, so many PR's are anal about THEIR park and THEIR animals.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
A friend got a ticket for harassing a browny with a fly rod at Brooks. He came around a corner and the browny was laying in the trail so he brushed it with the rod and told it to move (the well stuffed furball obliged, fortunately). A parky up in a tree saw this occur through his binos and his raison d'etre was fulfilled...

Last edited by AKwolverine; 08/15/16.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 2,025 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.