Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gene270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
anybody else having issues with the barrel channels not lining up straight with the center line of the action....

i have received my second in a row with this issue, i like mcmillans but for 600.00 dollars plus for my edge stock they need to work on this issue

by the time the barrel gets to the end of the stock it favors one side versus the other

GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gene
Are these factory barreled m700 actions? Most times the recoil lug from the factory isn't set very straight.

G
gene270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
they both are re barrels one was a borden action so i think they are pretty square and straight

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gene270
anybody else having issues with the barrel channels not lining up straight with the center line of the action....

i have received my second in a row with this issue, i like mcmillans but for 600.00 dollars plus for my edge stock they need to work on this issue

by the time the barrel gets to the end of the stock it favors one side versus the other

I've seen this issue before with all makes of stocks. Pretty easy to correct. Good idea to glass bed the dang thing anyway. Make it fit your barreled action perfectly and glass bed away. Good luck with it. Remember, you pay "$600.00" for that stock, you might as well invest a little time into it yourself and do the job right..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its an easy fix for a competent gunsmith!!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Glass bedding it isn't going to change it if it is off. And you shouldn't have to pay a competent gunsmith for anything.

Do you know for a fact that center point of tang and center point of barrel channel at forend tip are not in line with center of action screws?

Mark center of each and use a straight edge or run a string. See where it is in relation to center of action screw holes.

Favoring one side or actually rubbing on one side?

Depending upon barrel size/fit, I may be so inclined to have McMillan fix or replace it.

Having a gunsmith "fudge it in" probably means opening the barrel channel up more than one would prefer. At McMillan prices, you should not have to do this or pay to have it done. And should expect better quality of fit for your money...........JMO........

G
gene270 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
from what i can see with a string it looks good so i really dont know....i guess my biggest complaint is for over 600 dollars i would think it would be right...but maybe the issue is on my end

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So maybe receiver area or tang area is canted/uneven or has a high spot somewhere throwing barreled action off to one side?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

That's not necessarily a stock issue.. Have you checked the barrel to make sure it's perfectly in line with the receiver? I've found some to be off; WAY off..

In any case, a simple glass bed with a shim around the barrel at the fore-end tip will ensure it's in line.. Piece of cake.

And that ain't 'fudgin' it in (as someone stated above)... Usually the alignment is in a few thousandths - and that's often the case with factory offerings too. Careful examination of any batch of rifles in a gun store will prove it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The only things I find with McMillan stocks is usually a quite wavy bottom metal inlet which requires setting up in the mill and having a 4-flute mill render it level.. Minor - but it's there..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redneck
......That's not necessarily a stock issue.. Have you checked the barrel to make sure it's perfectly in line with the receiver? I've found some to be off; WAY off..

In any case, a simple glass bed with a shim around the barrel at the fore-end tip will ensure it's in line.. Piece of cake.

And that ain't 'fudgin' it in (as someone stated above)... Usually the alignment is in a few thousandths - and that's often the case with factory offerings too. Careful examination of any batch of rifles in a gun store will prove it..

Yup. Those barrels aren't always screwed on straight nor aligned with the receiver as straight as we like to think.

Redneck is right.

Yeah those factory rifles today are absolutely fabulous LOL! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Just took a McMillan to a smith for bedding and the bolt rubbed on the back of the cut-out. Thousands of rifles and thousands of stocks of stocks made to fit all of them. Makes no difference what you pay, some will need to be tweaked.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That serves as a second recoil lug.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
grin ....And yes it would, but it just dragged a little. Maybe I should send it back? blush

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just bolted a short action with a tapered lug into a new mcmillan. As it was, it was close to the left side of the barrel inlet. Wrapped some blue tape around the barrel to get it centered in the channel and bedded it up. Magically it appears centered perfectly now.

Was just kidding on the recoil lug bolt handle. Sure you have it fixed already.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 30338

Was just kidding on the recoil lug bolt handle. Sure you have it fixed already.

I caught it. grin

Should be back in a couple weeks or so. When I took it over he was having and ATF inspection. He was in a very serious mood.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I've seen this issue before with all makes of stocks. Pretty easy to correct. Good idea to glass bed the dang thing anyway. Make it fit your barreled action perfectly and glass bed away. Good luck with it. Remember, you pay "$600.00" for that stock, you might as well invest a little time into it yourself and do the job right..

Terrible advice. "you pay $600 for a stock...invest a little time into it yourself and do the job right"???

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Terrible advice. "you pay $600 for a stock...invest a little time into it yourself and do the job right"???

You going to send it back to Mcmillan and wait another 6 months. Fu ck no. Center the action/barrel in the stock, glass bed the mother fu cker and be done with it. This chit is not that hard to figure out.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will McMillan seriously take a long time to fix a new stock? Man, if that's the case, that is messed up.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No, they won't take that long. I sent one back that the action screw holes were off slightly (I had pillars installed by them so wasn't gonna mess with it myself). The screws were binding when I installed the action. If memory serves me right, was back in less than a month (not Leupold quick but reasonable in my book).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 748 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.