Print Thread
Hop To
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Any suggestions regards a good diamond steel?

GB1

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
DMT

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I use a little diamond stone set in a wood block, by EZE LAP. In use for probably 15 years now, and still as effective as when I got it.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 08/16/16.

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would like to know the secret with diamond stones. Plenty swear by them, but I do not have the touch with the two I have tried to use. I heard that you have to put some wear on them for them to work best, but I have past that point and still struggle with the diamonds.

FWIW
I have an EZE LAP model "M" that I would like to sell. It is a two part sharpener with a sheath. Diamond rod can be screwed into the handle for storage or in a fixed exposed position for use.
I bought two when a customer wanted one incorporated into his knife sheath. Have not used the one I kept.
jm2cents.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure where I picked mine up, but it looks like this

[Linked Image]

It's not really a steel in the sense of straightening a edge that has laid over, it's really a diamond file shaped like a steel. A couple swipes will touch a blade right up, the key is only take a couple swipes or you'll be wearing your blade out prematurely.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Tim, toss that Eze lap in the box with that knife you are making for me, and add it to the bill. 😜

Sam......

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sam
You got it. I will be assembling that knife today or tomorrow.
Don't remember what that sharpener cost, but I will look into and give you a good deal.
Thanks
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I would like to know the secret with diamond stones. Plenty swear by them, but I do not have the touch with the two I have tried to use. I heard that you have to put some wear on them for them to work best, but I have past that point and still struggle with the diamonds.

Kinda scary to give sharpening tips to a knife maker but the only things I can think of are 1)clean the diamond stone with brake cleaner and a stiff brush in case it is loaded with swarf 2)use very light pressure when sharpening 3)try using oil for a lube just as an experiment if you have not already.

I prefer other media over diamonds myself as well but it pretty tough to beat them for something to throw in the tackle box, tool box, or hunting pack for something to have around in case its needed. Having said that I have never used the really high end "quality" stuff like DMT or Atoma. I had a Lansky diamond kit that I gave away which worked really well and right right now all I have is a ebay Chinese knockoff of an EZ lap combo stone which works very well considering it cost 9 bucks. laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not a big fan of diamond stones really. I have a diamond stick in the kitchen knife drawer. Couple swipes and those softer knives are as sharp as they are ever going to be.

I do have a fine grit DMT bench stone but I've found it has to be used with a very light touch. I'm wanting to get high quality water stones but my want list is long and they're farther down the list.

I think a fantastic edge can be had by any number of sharpening methods that end with a stropping.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Clean diamond stone with soapy water. Never use oil.. Use dry or with water. They do have a break in period as they are kinda rough new. They work really well for high RC knives. It doesn't take much pressure to start moving metal and with light finishing strokes can achieve a very sharp edge.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Any suggestions regards a good diamond steel?

No such thing...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by add
DMT

1) DMT - excellent diamond stone
2) Gerber - retractable rod, very aggressive
3) Buck - kinda taper shape
all 3 work well

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by BigNate
I'm wanting to get high quality water stones but my want list is long and they're farther down the list.

As an intermediate step, consider getting a King 1000/6000 grit combination stone if you don't have any water stones and would like to try them out. I bought one off ebay for $47 delivered to my door. I have really enjoyed it. I kind of doubt that spending more money would help me much but ymmv. I'd recommend skipping the "high quality water stones" and getting something else on the want list.

Last edited by RJY66; 08/22/16.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks RJY, I'll look into one.

I can do pretty good with what I have but after watching Murray Carter sharpen a knife that you could see light on the "edge" to shaving sharp, I'm thinking I could do better.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,478
Posts18,451,845
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.