Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by hatari
Range Report

The Swede is FUBAR!

Scrubbing the bore, removing and replacing the stock, changing scopes amounted to nothing. 3"groups from a rifle that once produced 1/2". Tried three different proven loads.

I gotta believe the barrel is kinked.

How were/are your scope mounts/rings??? Did you check them or change them, before throwing a different scope on it?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

New tube.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by hatari
Range Report

The Swede is FUBAR!

Scrubbing the bore, removing and replacing the stock, changing scopes amounted to nothing. 3"groups from a rifle that once produced 1/2". Tried three different proven loads.

I gotta believe the barrel is kinked.

How were/are your scope mounts/rings??? Did you check them or change them, before throwing a different scope on it?

Rings and mounts are tight.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bummer!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hatari;
Good morning to you sir, I'm sorry to read about your airline baggage mishap and the resulting issues with your rifle.

I'm surmising that the rifle is a small ring 96 action with a stepped military barrel?

If so, I will say that a couple years back I was able to find a military barrel in very good shape for $75 I believe I paid.

Now since the gunsmith was installing it on a 98 action there was a sleeve to be added to the barrel shank which of course wasn't free - but the result shoots very well.

Oh, I wanted the deep grooves and very fast twist that the original military barrels used as they seem to match up to the all copper bullets I've been using extremely well.

Anyway I hope you get your rifle sorted and shooting like it did before. Good luck and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Maybe just worn out. The one Huqvarna .30-06 I had had a lot of rounds through it when I got it. Even so it regularly printed 1 1/2" groups. I put about a thousand rounds through it and when accuracy started to go it seemed like it went overnight. It rather quickly became a 3" rifle. I used copper remover until the barrel was spotless. I switched scope and mounts. Finally I glass bedded it. Nothing helped.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Dwayne,
Right you are about the m96 with the stepped barrel. ?there are some carbine military barrels floating around. I may grab one of them.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Was the POI off when you first shot it after the incident? If the barrel is bent (even a little) it would print noticeably off the original POI. If that didn't happen, the barrel isn't bent and the most likely culprit for damage would be (as others have proposed) a change in the bedding. I would try having it re-bedded first. It could be that the barrel just went away. But if the barrel was a real good one, try everything else first before re-barrelling to make sure that it is the barrel that was damaged or just wore out.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by cooper57m
Was the POI off when you first shot it after the incident? If the barrel is bent (even a little) it would print noticeably off the original POI. If that didn't happen, the barrel isn't bent and the most likely culprit for damage would be (as others have proposed) a change in the bedding. I would try having it re-bedded first. It could be that the barrel just went away. But if the barrel was a real good one, try everything else first before re-barrelling to make sure that it is the barrel that was damaged or just wore out.

I agree, I don't see a "1/2 moa" rifle going bad over night. Especially to the tune of 3+ inch groups. Something else besides the barrel went awry. I'd check bedding or even re-do it if suspect, check freefloat on the barrel, look the stock over with a fine tooth comb. Change the scope mounts and rings or at a minimum, check to make sure they were not damaged somehow. Maybe a broken base or ring screw etc. A good shooting rifle is all about proper mechanics. I believe Jordan smith gave a good list of things to check. I'd be checking everything before replacing the barrel. JMHO...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 30 invisible), 2,069 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.