Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After personally using a 160AB on nearly 30 head of African plains game, this bullet gets my vote. It is an outstanding performer. My 160's were 3050fps @ the muzzle FWIW, and game was taken from 70-200 yards.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/22/16.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Flip a coin.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Anecdotal only since i don't use Barnes bullets but a friend who posts here does (maybe he will chime in). smile

He's killed a few hundred head of African game and one time over he shot the 145 LRX against a 300 Win Mag loaded with 200 gr Partitions. Says the 145 LRX from a 7RM penetrated just as far,did as much damage and killed about as well as the 200 gr Partition.

Kind of surprised me too but that was the report..... shocked

Point being that construction trumps weight, and that tired old bromide called "SD", which means essentially "nothing".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think I know who you mean, Bob smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Anecdotal only since i don't use Barnes bullets but a friend who posts here does (maybe he will chime in). smile

He's killed a few hundred head of African game and one time over he shot the 145 LRX against a 300 Win Mag loaded with 200 gr Partitions. Says the 145 LRX from a 7RM penetrated just as far,did as much damage and killed about as well as the 200 gr Partition.

Point being that construction trumps weight, and that tired old bromide called "SD", which means essentially "nothing".

An expanded bullet has a sectional density too.

Life begins at 40. Recoil begins at "Over 40" Coincidence? I don't think so.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Flip a coin.

That's really what it comes down to. That, and knowing the conditions you're most likely going to encounter. There isn't one of these bullets that may not leave you feeling that you might have chosen better once in awhile. (IOW, there isn't a bullet that is 100% one-hundred percent of the time.) But any of them will put the onus squarely on it's user. And if you end up with a big green, gooey stinking mess on your hands, or a protracted follow-up of some sort, more than likely you'll either be kicking yourself for taking a shot when you shouldn't have, or you will be wishing you placed the previous shot better to start with.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Model70Guy

An expanded bullet has a sectional density too.

Yeah.....but it might be in a constant state of disrepair. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
160 Accubond

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Backroads
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Backroads
Originally Posted by Taco280AI
The Barnes don't shoot fast for me but do shoot well.

MV is 2970 145
2930 150
2960 160

IMR 4350

If you can push a 160gr as fast as a 145gr, why would you ever opt for less bullet?

160 Accubond all day, and twice on sundays.

The 145 mono will out penetrate the 160 ab all day and 3 times on Sundays... and end up with more MV, and a good BC due to shape and length.

I'd never run cup and core when mono is available all other variables given... IE MV, Accuracy etc..

I have no doubt the 145 can be pushed faster than the 160, the fact is that he is not pushing it faster.

At the muzzle velocities listed, 160 all day.

Load data from Barnes says 55.0 is max, I'm at 55.5 with great accuracy. At 56.0 accuracy dropped off. Barrel just doesn't shoot Barnes bullets fast I guess...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Load data from Barnes says 55.0 is max, I'm at 55.5 with great accuracy. At 56.0 accuracy dropped off. Barrel just doesn't shoot Barnes bullets fast I guess...

Harmonics. If you feel like fooling with it add a pressure point in the forearm. Gradually increase pressure and watch the results. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it hurts. I think it's one of the easiest ways to fool with harmonics without hanging a weight on the muzzle.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
At 600 yards (600 even according to the RX1200 TBR) into a dirt/gravel hillside average diameter doubled to about .57" (all between .54 and .61) and retained weight was between 125-130 for 3 of the bullets and 143.7 for one. Bit of a windy afternoon at 84xx feet but was good practice. Did see a deer at 615 I took a look at, far enough to know I don't want to shoot at one that far with a 6x scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
At 600 yards (600 even according to the RX1200 TBR) into a dirt/gravel hillside average diameter doubled to about .57" (all between .54 and .61) and retained weight was between 125-130 for 3 of the bullets and 143.7 for one. Bit of a windy afternoon at 84xx feet but was good practice. Did see a deer at 615 I took a look at, far enough to know I don't want to shoot at one that far with a 6x scope.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Smart man. That wouldn't be my scope of choice for that distance either..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Taco280AI: Use the wonderful Nosler 140 grain Partitions, and don't look back!
I have killed all manner of game with this bullet out of my 25" barreled custom 280 Remington - VERY accurate, VERY lethal and VERY reliable - end of conversation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Taco,

I'm assuming that you're talking .284 caliber.

I'd go with AccuBond.

I used 160 grain Partitions in my 7MM Rem Mag for elk. Partitions used to be the gold standard elk bullet. In my opinion, they still are. They will kill the largest elk that has ever lived as long as it destroys oxygenating blood pumping equipment.

I did a lot of listening on my last elk trip. They guides in camp weren't fond of all-copper bullets. They called 'em pencil hole makers. I have no idea how accurate their assessments were.

I'm a lead dude.

Since you've mentioned deer and elk, I'm assuming you want one bullet for both, which is a wise idea. However, if you're not killing elk, I'd go with Sierra GameKings for mule deer. They work as advertised at a lot less $$$.

Best of luck to you, Taco.

Last edited by SakoAV; 08/27/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Taco280AI: Use the wonderful Nosler 140 grain Partitions, and don't look back!
I have killed all manner of game with this bullet out of my 25" barreled custom 280 Remington - VERY accurate, VERY lethal and VERY reliable - end of conversation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I could easily go along with VarmintGuy's recommendation. A well constructed bullet that won't fall to pieces (Patsy Cline) were it to hit bone on its way to decommissioning the right parts for sustaining life oughta cause you to reconsider elk hunting. They are HUGE animals to move. Once a herd bull is dead, there's some (a whole lot) serious work to be done.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's some nice shooting.

Elk don't have targets stapled to their sides and don't care what you hit them with. They're not bullet proof, but if the first one does not anchor them, they can sure act like it. Practical shooting skill is more important than all the measurements we do. ( But it sure is fun to do them.) I've made one shot kills on elk with "cheap" bullets and I've had them take every round my rifle had using "premium" bullets. My closest kill was 12 yards, my farthest 250.

According to Idaho F&G, game meat can sour if the animal is not gutted within 30 minutes of the kill. I interpret this to mean I am not going to shoot beyond what I can quickly anchor and retrieve. That bull in our spotting scope looks close, but there are usually an awful lot of tangles in between you and where you last saw the animal.

There is no info about the freebore of the loads in the pictures,so it's hard to judge much. My rifles will shoot cloverleafs at 100 all day from the bench if I jam the bullet in the lands, but it's no fun sticking a bullet in the throat and dumping powder all in your action while standing at the corner of No and Where. Where there are elk there are bears and cats. I load .010" off the lands and every round gets cycled through the action before it goes in my hunting gear.

As to which of those loads is best? The one you can consistently put in a paper plate at 200 yards from every shooting position.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

And shows that a lot of the minutia differentiating bullet weights and caliber "differences" over which we all often argue is often quite meaningless. Fun though.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not talking about ass end shots,...... but otherwise if you can't shoot them anywhere you want with a bullet, why would you even take it hunting? shocked confused

Spoilsport! You post like you know what you are talking about and you make so much sense it risks deflating the sci fi speculation. grin

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 160user, 74 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,116
Posts18,464,543
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.