Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
At the fest Gnoahhh had a nice cannon on his table that I liked a lot. I have a small replica Napolean civil war era cannon at home that I like too but his was tricked out with a really nice carriage that he built. I had forgotten how much I wanted to upgrade until i saw his.

Well the internet is a great thing and when I got home from work today this was waiting for me.

18 inches long, weighs 33 lbs. bore caliber: golf ball. I kid you not, rated for 1,050 ft per second with 1,000 grains of Black powder.

I have to build a carriage for it but it should be a real hoot!

[Linked Image]

golf ball caliber

[Linked Image]

A box of shotgun shells for scale

[Linked Image]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wahoo! That is sweeeeet!! That's next on my "cannon list"- a golf ball shooter. We played with a buddy's golf ball mortar last summer, shooting at crab pot buoys out on the Bay. We could get really close with my little gun but we couldn't get the range with the mortar- and then we ran out of golf balls.

What kind of carriage do you have in mind for it, Roger? Naval gun, coast artillery, or field piece?

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/17/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh man !!! this is the last thing i needed to see!
i live over looking about 3 miles of river. have been itching for 20 years to make a splash in it. what was that web site?
yeah i have to much time on my hands.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gnoahhh, something very similar to yours.

I got it from coaches club cannons. It was the best deal by far that I could find.

http://www.coachesclubcannons.com

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
For you guys that are handy with a milling machine, this is a pic of my first car/gun/cannon, combo. Think you could knock out a copy for me, I'll buy the beer, it'll be good beer, Joe.

[Linked Image]

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
WWII M2 light tank. Not so hot against the Afrika Korps in 1942, pretty decent on Guadalcanal. The 37mm shells bounced off of German armor, made a mess of Japanese machine gun nests. It'll take a lot of beer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That isn't going to help your golf game Roger.

Very cool cannon. Should be great fun.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I hope it got salvaged. It may have gone for scrap metal in the mid 70's, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have some neighbors with barking dogs. Damn, that M2 would be most effective in making a persuasive argument in my favor. Especially with it idling on their front lawn!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Joe, you need to put a couple winches on the back of that thing,drag in some logs !!!!! grin

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Or, "put a couple wenches on the back of that thing".

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Gnoahh had some influential stimuli decades ago. He has a checkered past of leading unsuspecting.......never mind. Proof;
[Linked Image]

This ad from a 1978 American Rifleman mag contributed to his lust for explosive devices not normally found in general firearm enthusiasts arsenals. Tread with caution. He can be very persuasive. Before you know it, we will all have sweet little cannons shooting golf balls at things we have no business shooting golf balls at.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Don, I knew you would like that one. I'd give my left do-dad for that little tank, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ha ha. Little do you know, Oh Ancientotter, that is exactly what turned me on to cannon shooting. I took my turns serving on gun crews back in my re-ennacting days. A 12-pound Napolean gun (original) for a while, when doing Civil War, a 3-pounder Grasshopper battalion gun, 6-pound field piece, and 2-pound Galloper when I did Revolutionary War. I went through the National Park Service artillery school- a requirement back then of all gunners who wanted to fire their artillery on Park Property.

The biggest one I owned personally was a little 3-pounder U.S. Mountain Howitzer, circa 1795- a repro of the very first U.S. designed and built artillery piece in U.S. service. Made to be broken down and transported on the backs of horses and mules. She made quite a "woomp" with a quarter pound charge of powder. Not as much of a woomp as the 12-pound Napolean gun did with its one pound powder charge. Might have played a role in my partial deafness...

Now I'm perfectly happy playing with my miniature gun, shooting at crab buoys off my buddy's dock on the Chesapeake Bay.

The most impressive demonstration we would put on was with the Napolean gun firing canister shot. 144 one ounce balls (.69 caliber) per discharge- one hellacious big shotgun. No wonder the casualty figures were so high in the Civil War. frown

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/18/16.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Or, "put a couple wenches on the back of that thing".

I'll vote for wenches

Busty ones serving beer would be best...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Whats amusing about the vintage add is the cannons are made in Mt Clemens, MI but NOT sold in Michigan. Hows that for "not in my back yard" legalities. Can sell them to loonies out east to blow stuff up tho. wink

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
ROMAC Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'm no craftsman but I threw a carriage together with scrap wood, a circular saw, and a cordless drill this afternoon.

Slapped on a coat of black paint to hide the mishmash of assorted wood and I'm in business until I can get some shop time with my buddy to make something nicer.

Time to make smoke!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That looks like it will work, have fun!

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
WWII M2 light tank. Not so hot against the Afrika Korps in 1942, pretty decent on Guadalcanal. The 37mm shells bounced off of German armor, made a mess of Japanese machine gun nests. It'll take a lot of beer.
I've got a running enginge out of a AMC Pacer and a pile of scrap metal I'd donate to that project. Somebody must have one of those old Ithaca Mag-10 sitting around collecting dust somewhere........

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by S99VG
I have some neighbors with barking dogs. Damn, that M2 would be most effective in making a persuasive argument in my favor. Especially with it idling on their front lawn!
Just be sure to go with the armor piercing rounds.....

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
356 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 38 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.