Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Impact-pulled bullets can shoot weird even with something soft in the bottom of the puller to keep them from being deformed. Before they even leave the case, the cores of cup-and-core bullets can be loosened slightly. You'll never notice any difference in appearance, but some will be unbalanced.

This can't happen to bonded or mono bullets, but it definitely does to cup-and-cores--and you can't tell from looking at them which ones are loose.

John, I think that I remember reading an article by some guy that dealt with boxes of bullets that had been dropped on a hard surface being adversely affected in regards to accuracy. Seems like whacking them around with an inertia puller would achieve the same outcome.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course, you are going to run into some misguided souls who will maintain that chopped bullets are just as good as pulled ones. smile

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by ned
That's a good question and I don't know the answer but will tell you what I do. I don't even shoot the bullets I pull myself. With all the time I spend focused on all the other parts of reloading, with accuracy being the end goal, I don't want to deal with issues that could be introduced by pulled bullets.

Are there issues? I have no idea, but others with more knowledge of the subject may say they are fine. Certainly possible I just imagine they could introduce accuracy issues.

I don't think there is any adverse effect on the terminal ballistics or when working uploads for speed/pressure testing but will stand corrected if needed.

Never had issues at all w/ pulled bullets, tho I use em for field practice not for load development or hunting.

Some gun writer did an experiment w/ deformed tips at 100 yds and found no difference at all... I mean he REALLY deformed some tips; not just smashed like pulled bullets.

Obviously that test doesn't take into account slipped jackets like MD mentioned...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have never had an issue with pulled bullets, but moa accuracy is more than good enough for me. I used to pull them with the inertia hammer and was not happy with the damage to the bullets-even with a pad.

Now I use the Grip-N-Pull for all of them and have only a minor scuff around the bullet midway.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have pulled very, very few bullets and loaded many, many rounds.

I would never purposely buy pulled bullets. Why? And if I did pull a bullet, it is then considered a "flier" and not used for anything other than initial sight in or velocity testing, etc. In other words, I'd not shoot it at a critter or in any kind of a match.

Why take chances or second guess yourself? Purposely buying bullets that are potentially fuuked up doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, on several levels.

JMO....

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not sure why impact pulled bullets keeps coming up. If these were pulled by the factory, they weren't done in an impact puller.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Tumbler with stainless media will make tarnished bullets look new.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Shot just fine for me...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Tumbler with stainless media will make tarnished bullets look new.

And under suitable conditions, an egg becomes a chicken, but there are no chickens born of stones.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bellydeep,

The subject of impact-pulled bullets comes up because many shooters assume the same things are true of ALL pulled bullets, and they aren't.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I sure wouldn't take a chance in a trophy animal with a pulled bullet. It would be in the back of my mind the whole time. They would be OK for pig shooting.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 37 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,496
Posts18,452,430
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.