Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i don't usually plant squash but when i bought cumcumber this spring 6 of my plants were labeled wrong and were yellow straight neck squash. i've ate more of the stuff this year than ever before. i have always thought fried squash only tasted like the breading you fry it in and i still do.we egg dip it sliced thin,batter in seasoned flour and fry til golden brown.we had so much of it this year i started playing with other ways to eat it.someone said boil it with onions.i didn't like it at all,kind boils out the little bit of flavor they have to start with.

here's best way i've found

taking a big onion,chop and soak in beef broth,shake of soy sauce and garlic powder for a few hours.slice squash the cut into 4 pcs. season with salt,pepper and a shot of tony catcheres creole. i like to grill it. i have those plestic grill mats advertised on tv but a flat grill pan would work fine.dump the onions on the mat /pan and let them start to cook.as they simmer and start to dry out dump a little more of the beef broth on until they turn clear. add the sqaush and cook just enough to brown a little,don't cook until it gets soggy. dump the whole mixture in a bowl and mix in a garden tomato in chunks. we all like this far better then any other way .

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Get you an iron skillet and smother them down with onions in bacon grease. Left overs are great warmed up, so cook a big skillet full. Breaded okra added in is good too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Try the casserole recipe I posted a while back.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I fry too, buttermilk, seasoned cornmeal, hot oil.

They don't have much flavor, but they count as a vegetable. grin

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
+1 on frying them with onions in bacon grease. Also I like them on the grill, either just sliced , put on aluminum foil with zucchini and onion with a little Italian dressing. Or as another vegetable with shish k bobs.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Split them in half longways. Score the cut side, sprinkle with garlic salt, pepper, butter and slow grill on the gas grill top shelf. Time this as you are taking the ribeyes off the wood grill. Covered all the basic food groups.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really like em egg washed, floured, and fried too but I quit planting them because I'm sick of em about half way through summer.....

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
grill them with olive oil an the seasoning of your choice.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Squash/zucchini split and sliced, sautéed in olive oil and a bit of butter with onions and garlic.

Season with S&P and red pepper flakes.

When about half cooked, top with feta, cut the heat, and cover for a few minutes to finish.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dawggone
grill them with olive oil an the seasoning of your choice.

i hate the taste of olive oil.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
use a little cooking oil of your choice then.
I put a few tbsp of oil in a ziploc, throw in my thick slices of squash and zucchini and shake them around a bit. then dose with salt and pepper or some seasoning mix. I sometimes give them a little drizzle of balsamic vinegar too.

That's the only way I like squash other than in a casserole

Last edited by Dude270; 08/18/16.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
What Dude270 says we just use olive oil cause we like it. There are many types of oil that can be used. Many have no flavor at all and all the oil does is help the seasoning stay on.

I like the balsamic vinegar idea thanks!

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Whole Foods starting offering it this way (like spaghetti)! It's great hot or cold.

Before and after!

[Linked Image]

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Long wedges split lengthwise. Salt, pepper, olive oil or melted butter. Grill and remove, sprinkle with parmason and red pepper flakes.
Variation: dried Mexican cheese and chile powder, cumin, and oregano.
: grill on foil with soft cheese and any variation of Mexican or Italian spices.

Sean
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
another good option !

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
When I've had some get too big in the garden for slicing, I like to halve them, dig out most of the seeds with a spoon and fill that cavity with cooked burger or sausage, top with cheese and sometimes spaghetti sauce and grill. Makes a fine meal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can eat my weight in yellow squash. Can't wait to get moved next month so I can have a monster garden again next year.

Of course, i like it the way you don't, boiled, with onion.

Pick them when they're small, and seeds not to mature. slice up into medallions. Boil until tender with wedged?? onion. 50/50 ratio is fine, or 70/30. I like onion though. Drain off all water, then continue heating pan to dry it out some more. Add a few pats of butter, some salt and pepper. Then some slices of American Cheese to melt down through it. Who cares if you're just eating it to get the butter, salt, pepper, and cheese, there really is a vegetable in there somewhere. I'll also not put cheese on it and just do it with some butter. Not as good, but not as bad.

Have done about all the ways stated above, and have no issue with any of them. Fried in bacon grease, grilled with seasonings, etc, etc. Love yellow squash.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I pick them when they are large, split them, remove the guts with a spoon leaving ~1/4" shell, chop up the guts, squeeze out the water, add to ground beef, add breadcrumbs, tomato sauce, Parmesan and basil pesto, stuff into the shells and bake. Pull them 20 minutes before done, pour tom sauce on top, throw in oven.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a good way too, Ed. For me, there really isn't a bad way to fix yellow squash that I can think of.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Deep fried is my favorite.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by local_dirt
That's a good way too, Ed. For me, there really isn't a bad way to fix yellow squash that I can think of.

Nope, it's all good. Grated and strained, flour, Parmasan, egg, salt and pepper, formed into patties and fried is killer too.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll bet that is good. I've had broccoli that was chopped, mixed with onions and, I think, a little potato that was also very good when formed into patties and fried or baked.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I deep fried some tonight with crappie fillets. I like it best sliced and sauteed in a big skillet with a sliced onion some garlic minced, a chopped pepper, some basil and fennel seed, some chunks of brats or Italian sausage. when its almost done add a bunch of Parmesan cheese and toss it around to melt the cheese before serving, My wife has been doing this with some browned ground deer instead of the sausage.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Try a sprinkle of Old Bay seasoning when frying.You can thank me later.

Last edited by remrug77; 08/28/16.
byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

Nope, it's all good. Grated and strained, flour, Parmasan, egg, salt and pepper, formed into patties and fried is killer too.

That's the way I make the version from my picture.

used them in Eggs Benedict last weekend. Substituted the squash pancake instead of the English muffin!!

Good stuff!!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Damn, David. That sounds great. I think we've just entered DefCon 3 with the squash! smile

I love the stuff.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by byc
Originally Posted by EdM

That's the way I make the version from my picture.

used them in Eggs Benedict last weekend. Substituted the squash pancake instead of the English muffin!!

Good stuff!!!

I'll second Greg.

Damn that sounds good, David!

E.B. With squash/potato patties is how I would like it in deer camp. May have to give that a go in a few weeks.

Sean
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
This is how we like them after all of the other recipes get old.... wink

[Linked Image]

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (22250rem, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 41 invisible), 1,793 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,614
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.