Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks hogwild cool

Very good info SU35. So... this "battle of the 175's" was it just between the NP and sierra or was there others involved??

Yep, choot'n rocks is a popular sport, second to tannerite around here... NO doubt of a direct hit cool

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Post I did some time back.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10083938/Re:_Battle_of_the_7mm_175's#Post10083938

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I used that bullet in a 7mm Remington Magnum on a cow elk in the late 1970s. The elk had been spooked by other hunters and came running down a gully broadside to me at less than 100 yards away. I shot and hit the elk three times through the lungs with the bullets passing through and kicking up dirt on the far side. The elk showed no signs of slowing down. I put the forth shot into the spine of the neck and that dropped the animal. I checked for damage when cleaning the animal. All the lung shots penciled through with minimal expansion, but several ribs were hit and shot through, some on entrance and some on exit. I changed to the 160 grain Speer hot core bullets after that and was never disappointed with their performance.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used it on a small oryx cow out of a 7mm Remington magnum at about 80 yards. Did not hit home and the jacket was in the hide on the offside

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks smokey joe, kellwk cool

I have killed many animals with the speer 7mm 160 gr spitz from my .280, It is ,or was, a stellar performer. Then after years of good bullets speer got weird... like speer forgot it was in the bullet making business. Found myself shooting alot more 160 partitions and other makes of bullets that were available.

Like to hear the end results of the heavy 7mm sierra game king. Like I said earlier I am relatively new to the use of sierra's on big game.

NRA life member
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by boomwack
I ended up with a box of sierra 7mm 175 gr spbt gamekings a little bit ago.

I loaded a few up with a tried load in my 7mm rem mag and they of course at 2900 fps, shot clover leaf groups from the rifle.

Now I have always had sierras turn up stellar accuracy, but have never really used them on big game, not even a deer. Sierra touts this gameking with heavy jacket, hard core. No better bullet for heavy game...

My clay bank test shows they are rather soft @100 yards, turning completely inside out. Not really throwing there core but just smearing it to oblivion. My horn 175 gr sp interlocks came out looking much better and bored deeper to boot.

Looks like the sierra may need a few 'hundred yards more to work better on larger than coyote game.

I'm new so to say, to using sierras on big game... Any on-game use with the sierra 7mm 175 gr gameking would be much appriciated.

Don't confuse Game Kings with Match Kings. They are not the same bullet.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was not one of those poor hunters that fell to the "Here, be cool and use my match bullets on big game marketing ploy to sell my match bullets".

I know some do use match bullets on game, that is just not how I roll. With all the different "hunting" intended bullets out there, one should not have an issue finding a "hunting" intended bullet that shoots good in there rifle... just my take.

NRA life member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,467
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.