Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Plus the color case.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You should have sent that roller to Crossfire. I don't think what you've got going there is gonna buff out. Ever heard of a Rough and Ready Remington sight?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
A little along the lines of the roller Crossfire built up.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8815281/1

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
We'll see. Greg builds a nice rifle. I believe my Bro in law has one of his rifles.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I do believe 'Da Cross'....know what he be a doin!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I hear this, I cant see the barrel sights smile and I have also said it my self. But for hunting there is nothing better then the barrel sights on a rifle. My 3/4 century old lamps are plagued with heavy floaters and cataracts that are getting heavier and I had my hunting rifle tapped for scope blocks last year thinking a scope might just be the ticket. I never hunted with a scope and I just this weekend used a scope for a silhouette match. not because I cant see the sights but because I could not see the iron critters blended in the dark berm on a over cast day.
If one can still read your favorite comic book you can see the sights. One just has to use the barrel sights to learn how to shoot with them. A aperture sight is good for target but leave it home on a hunting trip like some have said here.
Last fall I took a Bison with my Sharps with the scope on it and I had no problem hitting him at 158 yards, good shot through the lung but he took off like a bronc rider put a burr under the saddle and I needed a follow up shot. Well the Thor's hammer the Sharps has with the scope over it and a right handed shooter I cussed it under my breath loading a shell for a quick follow up.
That scope came off when the Buff was on the ground and It will never go back on my hunting rifle again.
I shoot the Lawrence ladder sight and I shoot it just as well as I do the tang. Heck I even shot a 1585 yard full sized iron buff with out a problem.
Below is my hunting rifle. It is everything most don't even want to pull the trigger on. Barely a 10# rifle but that .44-77 shoots. The target was shot at a close range of 130 yards getting ready for the hunt. The blocks are in the box now. smile

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Kurt71; 08/17/16.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Kurt,

Is that a Shiloh? How do you like the single trigger vs. the double set triggers?

Obviously, you shoot it very well with the single. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't let any body kid you. Kurt can shoot.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Ed,

Yes it's a Shiloh Hartford .44-77. I ordered it as a hunting rifle with a single trigger and the light weight 30" barrel standard wood with a crescent butplate.
The trigger is just under 3# and I have no problem with that what so ever. Clean crisp break.
I don't like a set trigger for hunting in cold weather when I have gloves on.
A friend build me the original Hartford front sight with the bronze blade and the rear is the Lawrence Military ladder sight. A good all around combination.
The .44-77 is a great caliber. I use a 485 gr bullet for the hunt. It is a copy of what the original profile was and it is good.
The only thing that is wrong with this rifle is, I ordered it with a polished barrel.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thank you Sharps-G I have good days as well as bad days like every one else.

Here is the last Buff I took. It was a 18 month young bull and you can see that I was struggling loading a follow up shot. That scope will never be on this rifle for a hunt again. I made the mistake patching the bullet a little to tight for hunting. That shot was good just 2" above the heart through the lung and the follow up shot was right next to it.
https://flic.kr/p/zeehxn

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1badf350, 163bc, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.