Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was thinking back to the original hunting, shooting website that created the desire to make this one. That was a very long time ago. During that time people could post opinions and make claims about nearly anything. Nobody could really figure out if you were a 16 year old posting a quote from Jack O'conner or if you were a 30 year veteran big game hunting guide in the Yukon.

Wild stories and experiences were endless from across the globe! It took a bit to figure out who the real experience was, and who the "wannabes" were when these discussions were going on. I can recall some of the evolution of this site as the diverse population of folks came on board. People that would make a statement about some amazing power level and distant accuracy claims were questioned by Physics professors and math geniuses that also visit the site. Pretty soon the original post was busted and the person that posted the "story" could be seen through. It was so bad in the early years that one fella said he killed a cougar that was killing his neighbors horses. The cougar was so big he was finding horses pulled up into the trees where the cougar would feed on them away from Predators. I think he unfortunately must have just watched a Animal Plant segment about leopards pulling antelopes into the trees in Africa. Lions don't do this and certainly a 150, lb lion is not pulling a 1400 lb horse up into a tree!

Same can be said about the way bullets kill animals. Pretty soon we have a coroner, and a Veterinarian posting in the thread to explain the reality of trauma. These folks that want to come on board and make some wild claim were being busted almost as soon as they hit the submit button.

However Google grew to a point that even a troll with evil intent to stir the pot could in only a few minutes craft a factual story with proper terminology and interesting vernacular. Somebody else did the work, he just pulled a few statements or paragraphs from another site and Bingo instant outdoorsman hero! ( in his mind) These events happened here quite a lot in the early years.

There became a fairly good group of folks that would PM one another asking if " so and so" could possibly be real? Eventually the trolls got thinned down and this site really became a great site for people from every background imaginable. Because of my work, I have had the pleasure of meeting a lot of folks from this site in person. I have also had the pleasure of hunting with them in Africa for 20 years now.

The skills from NFL and MLB players that I have hunted with, to television and News folks. Doctors, Lawyers, diesel mechanics, commercial pilots. Security folks, and a fair number of Seals and Rangers that have hunted with me, A father and son both in the CIA. Many of these talented folks simply PM'd me to talk off line.

One thing for sure. You can never be 100% certain who you are engaged with on this site. There are a few that I know of that are simply bad ass at levels that cannot be imagined. Government trained at doing some really bad stuff to get the job done. You won't see them write a single word about this background EVER. They are just a regular guy when here. One now works as a high school girls volleyball coach. If they only knew who he really was. I hope some idiot tries to cause havoc in this school while he is there. If there could ever be a cross between Superman and Rambo this is the guy! Yet I have seen people post a rude disrespectful comment to him now and then. I can only image the difference in the way that would happen with knowledge of his back ground and in a face to face conversation!

A Psychiatrist that has hunted with me once told me this is a site filled with medical marvels that somehow have made it through life with serious social issues! Somehow these guys can see the traits just from reading the posts. Also interesting that he was able to see the traits and digest the content of posts to identify the same guy posting under multiple names!

I would bet that no matter what the issue in your life, there is an astonishing member with skill to solve the problem. You would not even imagine somebody like this is available on a chat forum. No matter if it's a plumbing issue, HVAC, welding, dental, marriage counselor, football coach barber, etc etc, there is a wealth of accumulated knowledge visiting this site today that eliminates I dare say 99.9% of the hoaxes and trolls if that is a visitors interest.

I'm glad to be part of this site, and to have been here from the beginning. It's been pretty cool to see it grow and evolve into what must be the premier place for outdoorsman to visit on the web

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Salute to you!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I would bet that no matter what the issue in your life, there is an astonishing member with skill to solve the problem. You would not even imagine somebody like this is available on a chat forum. No matter if it's a plumbing issue, HVAC, welding, dental, marriage counselor, football coach barber, etc etc, there is a wealth of accumulated knowledge visiting this site today that eliminates I dare say 99.9% of the hoaxes and trolls if that is a visitors interest.

amen to that - It is a pretty amazing variety of talent here.

I referred a European to a thread here on handloading a particular cartridge, and he was amazed at the amount of information presented, and the variety of people discussing it.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The talent here is amazing and you are right, I have met a few true badasses and vets that have seen serious schit in war. They tend to be very close mouthed about it and very nice people.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
As a relative newcomer who lerked for years before I started posting, I stand in awe of many here. Everyone brings something to the table and only a few have ever reached ignore status with me.

Just an old sub sailor...

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You can't really appreciate this crowd until you meet a few dozen of them. If you possibly can, attend a get together or three and you'll agree. I'd list the fabulous folks from this site that I've met, but I know I'd leave out half a dozen and I don't want them to think it was deliberate.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
i was thinking the same thing, the other day. i have been amazed at the depth of the information that comes up here.

thanks to all!

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yp, this is one of my go to's when I start scratching my head. Being in California I also look at off topic on Calguns.net. I get nearly identical answers to my questions from both sites.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Find an object you've never seen before, and have no idea what it is, nor what it does.

Just post a picture of it The Fire and prepare to be amazed.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I was thinking back to the original hunting, shooting website that created the desire to make this one. ...

I'm glad to be part of this site, and to have been here from the beginning. It's been pretty cool to see it grow and evolve into what must be the premier place for outdoorsman to visit on the web

+1

Bump this one up a few pages.

Great post JJ.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Talent can be rather broadly defined.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by EdM
Talent can be rather broadly defined.

Everyone has a talent for something...some more useful than others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Met a few great folks from here. Met a few strange ones.

Hope to meet a few more of each.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Met a few great folks from here. Met a few strange ones.

Hope to meet a few more of each.

I am not that bad!!! grin

Great post JJ and spot on target.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Once you wend your way through the bullshit artists it is apparent there are an awful lot of knowledgeable people from a diverse selection of occupations.

It is why these fora are so interesting.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

588 members (257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,292
Posts18,448,967
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.