Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Old boy told me to start using it for salmon? Any believers? Pros? Cons? Thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I Can’t say I get more strikes, but I sure don’t get less.
It’s invisible in the water, the stuff just disappears. Trolling for trout in fresh water, I’ve gone to a much heavier leeder.
I used to use 6 lb mono, and if I got hung up in the rocks, I lost the lure almost every time.
( I have a bad habit of trollling through cover)
I started using 10 lb Floro, and saving most hang ups.
I’m going to try 15 lb for my heavier rigs.
I started with Berkley “Vanish”, but had problems with knots.
Someone here recommended Seagar, it more expensive, but much better all around.

MOLON LABE
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the fluoro as a leader material when using braid but using straight fluoro on a spinning reel just plain sucks - at least when it is new. It is stiff, doesn't cast all that well and is prone to wind knots etc. I will say that the stuff is pretty tough and is basically invisible under water though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never used it in fresh water, but I am using a 15lb leader in the salt on the Gulf of Mexico, both surf and bayside.
Not sure if I am getting more or less hits, but it is stiffer than mono and has less abrasion than braid.

Some people swear by it, I don't think it is magic, but don't have anything bad to say about it and does allow a thicker leader for rough cover, so at least it is a plus.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Cool thanks guys. Figure I'd try it for leader on salt salmon. Later

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
tip: carry alchol swabs and clean your Fluorocarbon leaders each time you put out a bait. they get dirty from handling, oil/dirt from your hands and become more visible.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We tried it one day trolling for Salmon. Same lure and test using Flo and and regular mono. Didn't seem to make any difference to them. It does to Bass in clear water and use mostly Seagar except for top water.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Fluoro (Seagar brand) in 4 lb and 6 lb on my spinning rigs while sight casting to smallmouth bass in the aquarium-clear waters in Quetico Provincial Park in Canada. It really is aggravating in a spinning reel when new, but I had broken it in first walleye and crappie fishing in Missouri and Alabama. I tried one of my favorite Berkley standard monos in a clear color, and I was definitely more successful with the fluoro in Canada. In MO and AL, where the water is quite a bit more dingy, I couldn't tell any difference in success, EXCEPT, I lost less lures. It's definitely tougher than regular mono.

Have a step-son that's a flats fisherman in coastal FL and he swears by the fluoro.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using Seagar floro material for leaders as long as I can remember. I also use it for the butt section and bite tippets on flyline leaders. I dont fish for salmon as I am in Southwest florida. Not sure I have fished with anyone down here in 15 years that didnt use a florocarbon leader.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The heavier Seagaur stuff is not very good. It has terrible knot strength. Just got off a 3 day off-shore trip. Captain basically told us that he would rather see us use straight mono than a Seaguar leader. Several used it anyway and they broke off at the knots with every hook-up. I used Yo-zuri and had no problems. We did use some double leaders on Bluefins and that held up fine. The single leaders all broke.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
In the clear water of Lake Powell, when using bait for stripers, a floro leader will increase bites by 3-1 for sure.Most everyone who compares the two will tell you the same thing.As stated by others, its not always the answer but there are times it is better.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I tie fluorocarbon leader in front of braid with an FG knot. It'll cast right through the guides.

I use Yo Zuri pink and the German made Ande Fluorocarbon. A buddy swears by Seaguar, but in lighter weights <50. I use Ande up to 100.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
The heavier Seagaur stuff is not very good. It has terrible knot strength. Just got off a 3 day off-shore trip. Captain basically told us that he would rather see us use straight mono than a Seaguar leader. Several used it anyway and they broke off at the knots with every hook-up. I used Yo-zuri and had no problems. We did use some double leaders on Bluefins and that held up fine. The single leaders all broke.

What knot(s) on which weight Seaguar were failing? Knot selection on the big stuff is a bitch.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
[Linked Image]

BS on the knot strength I have not had a knot fail and catch tons of salmon every year

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by strosfann
I like the fluoro as a leader material when using braid but using straight fluoro on a spinning reel just plain sucks - at least when it is new. It is stiff, doesn't cast all that well and is prone to wind knots etc. I will say that the stuff is pretty tough and is basically invisible under water though.

Ditto on this. I use braid and then fluoro for leader. Fluoro is definitely tough stuff. I used to not believe line that thin and in a low lb/test would work as a good leader material. Proved me wrong. I only revert to mono for leader when I want more stretch.

And as Dan pointed out, Seaguar is really tough stuff. You get what you pay for.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,386 guests, and 691 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.