Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redneck Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Whatever pollen's in the air over the last couple days (probably ragweed) is sure affecting me.. I bet I've sneezed about a hundred times since 6:00 am.. Whatever I have to take for it is gonna make me drowsy/loopy (OK, more than normal... laugh ) and not a good thing to be when working on firearms...

Damn.. Should have invested in Kleenex brands...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
BP-B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I sneeze a lot this time of year. The Horse weed is beginning to put out pollen

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bump up your intake of Vitamin C, start at 3,000 mg/day

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And here I thought this was gonna be another ass stain thread.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Try once or twice a day saline nasal rinses to flush the pollen or whatever out. That has cleared up a lot of that whole problem for me. Also Flonase, it's non prescription now...won't make you drowsy. No reason to suffer with that schitt these days.

IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by cra1948
Try once or twice a day saline nasal rinses to flush the pollen or whatever out. That has cleared up a lot of that whole problem for me. Also Flonase, it's non prescription now...won't make you drowsy. No reason to suffer with that schitt these days.

Nasal rinses really help but Flonase does nothing for me. Flonase contains Flutiscone which I guess is some kind of steroid. What works great for me is Nasacort which contains Triamcinolone Acetonide (also a steroid). I have some prescription ointment that contai8ns .1 percent Triamcinolone Acetonide and it will clear up itchy skin or other skin irritation irritation overnight.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Immersion therapy.

Get a job running an open air swather for some old farmer for a couple of weeks.

You will either be cured or die.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Allegra, Claritin, and the steroidal nasal sprays are all non drowsy and most now have over the counter versions.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

A shot of Ballistol……...

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Mason pine pollen supplements

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the quickest relief, you want NasalCrom nasal spray.

It's NOT a steroid, and it won't make you drowsy. I have bad fall allergies and this stuff calms my eyes and nose down quickly.

Long term use can cause sinus irritation, for me, so I start on this stuff and transition to claritin which works OK, but takes a couple of days to reach full effect.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NeilMed sinus rinses are also a very good thing for allergy sufferers. Generally at least once a day for me during peak allergy season.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're interested in looking at a more natural, longer term solution, you may want to check out Quercetin. It is a natural anti-histamine, but also has several other benefits like being a powerful anti oxidant, lowering bad cholesterol, raising good cholesterol, lower high blood pressure, acts as an anti inflammatory etc. I take it daily for heart related reasons but I know it is recommended for allergy sufferers. I take 1,000mg per day.

Every spring, summer and fall millions of Americans sneeze, wheeze, drip, and sniffle their way through a world filled with trillions of airborne pollen, dust, and smoke particles. Over-the-counter anti-allergy drugs (antihistamines) tend to leave their users either sleepy or over-stimulated. Fortunately, modern nutritional science now offers a highly effective, natural and nontoxic remedy for allergies: the bioflavonoid quercetin.

Quercetin, a "cousin" of the more well-known bioflavonoid rutin, is one of a thousand or so members of the bioflavonoid family. This is a group of coloring pigments widely found throughout the plant kingdom, where they also provide plants with antioxidant protection against environmental stresses. Natural diets high in vegetables, fruit, sprouts, and whole grains typically provide a total of 1,000 to 2,000 mg. a day of a broad range of flavonoids. Blue-green algae are the usual source of quercetin, but it's also available as a food supplement.

Allergies and asthma are inflammatory conditions usually triggered by air- or food-borne pollens and chemicals called "allergens." After these allergens are absorbed into the blood (through the lungs, skin, or intestines), they cause the B cells (white blood cells) of allergy-sufferers to produce billions of molecules of the allergic antibody IgE. The IgE molecules then travel through the bloodstream until they combine to with mast cells or basophils. Mast cells (which line many blood vessels) and basophils (a type of white blood cell circulating in the bloodstream) are the main storage sites for histamine and serotonin. The IgE allergic antibody then causes the cell membranes of the mast cells/basophils to become "leaky, " allowing their storage load of histamine and serotonin to pour into the surrounding blood and tissues. The IgE-released histamine and serotonin then produce the familiar allergic symptoms of runny, swollen nose; blocked sinuses; itchy eyes; skin blotches; coughing and wheezing; etc.

Quercetin to the rescue! Quercetin has a strong affinity for mast cells and basophils. It tends to stabilize their cell membranes, preventing them from spilling their pro-inflammatory, allergy-symptom-causing load of histamine/serotonin into the surrounding blood and tissue in response to the IgE antibody. And without the release of these potent inflammatory mediators, the familiar misery of allergies simply will not occur, even though you've inhaled the pollen, animal hair, or whatever normally triggers allergy attacks.

Asthma is an allergic inflammation involving the lungs. During an asthma attack (which can be triggered by air- or food-borne pollen, dust, animal hair, chemicals, etc.), the millions of tiny air sacs within the lungs are constricted, seriously impairing breathing and causing a feeling of tightness in the chest. In addition to IgE-released histamine, the primary biochemical cause of the asthmatic symptoms is a group of fatty acid derivatives called leukotrienes (LTs). These asthma-causing LTs are made from arachidonic acid (a key fatty acid constituent of many cell membranes) by the action of two enzymes - phospholipase A2 and lipoxygenase. Quercetin is known to be a powerful inhibitor of both these enzymes. Thus it prevents the formation of asthma-causing LTs, even when the IgE antibody (formed in response to inhaled or swallowed allergens) is present in the lungs to stimulate LT Production and release. Since quercetin suppresses the release and/or production of the two primary inflammatory mediators–histamine and leukotrienes–that cause the actual symptoms of asthma, its potential benefit in the prevention and treatment of asthma is evident.

Quercetin is a safe, nontoxic substance. A report by I. Hirono et al in Cancer Letters (1981), for example, found no evidence of toxicity or carcinogenicity in rats, even when quercetin made up 10 percent of their total dietary intake.

Here's an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formu...621656&sr=1-3&keywords=Quercetin

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
B
BLG Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Neti Pot some dark roast.

Try allegra. It works, and it's over the counter now. Non drowsy.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wife's nose starts looking like Rudolph's come spring. She has been using Flonase (prescription strength) and Zyrec (OTC) this year and is much better. Thing with the steroids such as Flonase is that it takes a while for them to work and you have to keep using them to get any benefit. The quick acting stuff works but ultimately causes a rebound.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Nasal rinses really help, doc says a person should use it every day. Horse weed is rising up for sure. Got to go mow lanes in east Texas. I get sinus infection almost every time I go mow.

Last edited by hanco; 08/20/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Immersion therapy.

Get a job running an open air swather for some old farmer for a couple of weeks.

This is true. I grew up with bad seasonal allergies. About 10 years ago I started biking to work year round every day I wasn't on-call.

The second spring/summer I noticed I wasn't taking allergy medicine and wasn't having issues.

Daily exposure for two hours while exercising ended up with me not having allergies at all except during the worst of the pollen, and then it is completely taken care of by some Claratin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Nasacort. Its like magic in a little spray bottle. Steroidal spray.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Immersion therapy.

This is true. I grew up with bad seasonal allergies. About 10 years ago I started biking to work year round every day I wasn't on-call.

The second spring/summer I noticed I wasn't taking allergy medicine and wasn't having issues.

Daily exposure for two hours while exercising ended up with me not having allergies at all except during the worst of the pollen, and then it is completely taken care of by some Claratin

Your allergies change over time. I gave myself doctor prescribed allergy shots for cedar (I live in Cedar Park, Texas), ragweed and mold allergy for 5 years. The last shot was in 1999 and it pretty well cured my allergies. Two years all my allergies came back full force and are even worse especially for mold. The doctor said the shots probably won't work again and might make my allergies worse. Being exposed to pollen like you describe didn't cure your allergies it was just a coincidence. A lot of people believe that if you eat locally produced honey it will cure your pollen allergies. (I've never seen a bee on a cedar tree). I'm also EXTREMELY allergic to cats so I guess if I eat a bunch of cats it will cure my cat allergy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by victoro
I guess if I eat a bunch of cats it will cure my cat allergy.

Worth a try.

I could recommend a local Chinese restaurant.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
662 members (257Bob, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 75 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,656
Posts18,399,278
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.