Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Walmart can kiss my hairy butt hole. Only time I go there is if I have no other option. Period.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You city slickers crack me the fugg up. Live in a shythole to grub as much money as you can and then bitch about all the riff raff and jiggaboo's around.

Wasn't complaining in this instance, just merely pointing out the reasons I do not shop there for the most part.

Is "grub" the term used by said unwashed for "work"?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Oh I see your from Florida ?? Talk about a $hithole!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mohick
Oh I see your from Florida ?? Talk about a $hithole!!!!!!!!!!

No argument from me there, sorry to upset....

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't understand all the Walmart hate, but if you lived here, you would do Walmart or do a lot of driving looking for the things that you want. I use a couple of Grocery stores, if I am going to those towns, but still have to go to Walmart for some things. Shopping here is not simple. My wife writes up a list, I add a few things that I want, and then decide which town I will go to. Something as simple as filters for our central heat and air requires that I go to Lonoke, Walmart. No grocery store in that town, so I buy groceries at Walmart or drive another 15-20 or more miles to another town. 6 Walmart's within 25 miles of where I live, in differing directions, and the Lonoke one is the only place that carries the filters that I prefer. Like I said, shopping is not simple here. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
How good or bad "your" wally world is , has to do with location from thew [bleep] areas or easy access to.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wallys got its reputation for low prices but that's not the case here. Their prices aren't any lower than anyone else and you get lousy service to boot.
We have a 24 hr superstore that's only a few years old. They had a big fight when they built it. The neighbors (none of whom are near enough to be bothered anyway) screamed about the planned 24 hr tire shop. They were worried about the late night noise that they aren't close enough to hear. The store agreed to limit tire shop hours but who shops for tires at 3AM anyway? All the arguments against the store were moot. There's a high school between the store and the nearest residences. All other adjoining properties are businesses.

This year they added a gas station and they have the best diesel prices in town. However, I avoid it because once you're in, the only way out is to wind around through their parking lot which was designed by a drunken idiot. Each exit is marked with 'no left turn' signs so if you want to go left (required for most people leaving the store), you have to cross through the busiest part of the parking lot to do it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Part if the problem if you want to call it that, is that Wal-Mart will build in areas that others won't. Get a Wal-Mart in a good area and it is a nice store, in a bad area it will be a schit hole. Wal-Mart doesn't seem to care either way as long as they make money. Wal-Mart seems to have taken the position that they can deal with the petty thefts and crime by volume and cutting costs instead of spending a gazillion dollars to stop it and still dealing with a certain amount of it. It probably makes sense.

I will say this though, Wal-Mart has taken over the bottom rung spot in reputation that was formerly held by K-Mart. For now, their size protects them, but then again forty years ago no one would have believed you if you had said tha K-Mart would go tits up. I think that in the long run it is bad business but I guess time will tell.

one thing I've noticed - Dollar General in rural country areas is starting to kill Walmart. Their plan is to build an 1800 sq ft store on every country road intersection and offer the basics including dairy, frozen food and canned goods

Its much more convenient to stop there for me and pick up the same stuff I usually buy at Walmart and I think its a good plan because I bet most people are going to start or continue buying big ticket items from amazon and see Walmart as a giant convenience store except you have to wait in a line 6 deep to get your toilet paper or whatever.

Heck, they've got two DGs on the short stretch of 51 between Middleway and Inwood, WV, just a few miles apart. I seldom go that way, so little need for me to explore them. Gotta watch them a little; I've found some of their low prices are due in part to special smaller sizes. Everybody's got an angle.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know of any DG's around here but Family Dollars are going in everywhere. I've never been in one, though.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
To the best of my knowledge the Walmart store in Hearne, Robertson county Texas was the only Walmart in the USA shut down due to internal theft. It's now a high school campus

Did I mention that Robertson county has for years been affectionately know as Booger County?

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Blackheart
You city slickers crack me the fugg up. Live in a shythole to grub as much money as you can and then bitch about all the riff raff and jiggaboo's around.

Wasn't complaining in this instance, just merely pointing out the reasons I do not shop there for the most part.

Is "grub" the term used by said unwashed for "work"?

LOL, no, gather, "I gotta go out to the garden and grub me up a big bucket of tomatoes." grin

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I don't know of any DG's around here but Family Dollars are going in everywhere. I've never been in one, though.

I don't know about the rest of the country but the small town main streets around my area already were pretty much empty store buildings and local mom and pop owned/operated business just a "remember when" memory a good while before DG and FD stores ever started showing up.

The Dollar General and Family Dollar stores run some pretty good weekly sales on many popular name brand products priced as cheap or cheaper, than Walmart. Items like Kellogg's and Post cereals - 3 for $6.00; Coke, Pepsi, RC, Dr. Pepper and their related drink brands - 3 to 4 12 packs, usually between $9.00 and $10.00.

Both FD and DG are also very competitive in price on many name brand household products, toiletries and non prescription medicines as well countless other items.

Dollar General stores usually have a coupon printed on their register receipts for an extra $5.00 off of $25.00 pretax total spent, valid on a specific day each week, usually Saturday - manufacturers coupons accepted and other store discounted and sale/coupon items included.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of our serious grocery shopping is at Costco. Amazon is for most of the other stuff, except milk, bread, beer, and eggs, which I get at a local grocery. Don't burn much gas these days.

Walmart is for special occasions, like when I want to waste a couple hours being annoyed and amused by the local "gentry".

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Most of our serious grocery shopping is at Costco. Amazon is for most of the other stuff, except milk, bread, beer, and eggs, which I get at a local grocery. Don't burn much gas these days.

Walmart is for special occasions, like when I want to waste a couple hours being annoyed and amused by the local "gentry".
That's like the lady who was going to Grocery Outlet to shop. She said "I like Grocery Outlet because I don't have to get all dressed up like when I go to Walmart."

― George Orwell

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
if I lived in an area where there was only Wal-Mart and maybe an IGA or Piggly Wiggly, then I'd go to Wal-Mart.

I'm sure a supercenter where you can get groceries, tires, oil, pharmacy and clothing is a godsend to people with lesser options.

But if they are becoming a center for crime due to their business practices, that isn't going to bode well for them competing against Amazon and DG

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our little town, Lander WY, is out a ways in the puckerbrush. Our local Mom and Pop stores have had us over the barrel for generations, raping their customers because the customers literally had no other place to go. Now we have a Walmart within 25 minutes drive, we keep a list through the week and make our trip over to get groceries and other necessities and visit with our friends and neighbors we run into. There never has been a problem with thugs and other undesirables, place is clean and well stocked. prices make the trip worth it. Mom and Pop can kiss my patootie.

Last edited by jnyork; 08/19/16.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348

I live 30+ miles from the nearest WalMart.

My town has less than 3k people

We have a piggly wiggly, a Shopko hometown outlet and a Dollar General.

That's it. Never been to the DG. Occasionally get emergency stuff from Shopko. Groceries at the Pig (great booze selection)

Otherwise UPS and Amazon Prime handles everything else. 2 day shipping on everything I buy. There's very little you can't get delivered for less than the gas it takes me to drive into Green Bay.

Ironically - the reason I stopped shopping at WM all those years ago was because nothing I bought there seemed to last longer than a month and a half. Quality was chit. Had nothing to do with their business.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have a five star Omni resort on the edge of town, couple that with a big historic bias by the local chamber of Commerce, and the mom and pops are all boutique type places. Without walmart I would have to weat those $100 jeans with the rhinestones on my ass.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figger I break even on my Prime fee in about 3 months on average. Plus, I get to watch Bosch and Vikings at no extra cost!

I also buy a lot of clothes from Amazon. On the rare occasion when something doesn't fit or has a defect, the UPS man takes it back the next day, almost always for free. The nearest place to buy decent clothes is at least 25 miles away, and I don't know of any place less than 45 miles away that carries the stuff I tend to buy now. The amount of money, gas, and time Amazon saves me is staggering.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't understand why anyone would blame WM for the actions of their customers....it's not like they actually encourage people to shoplift at their stores or provide a discount card for convicted felons and parolee's......

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 6MMWASP, 13 invisible), 2,196 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,660
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.