Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO
You have about three choices.

You can learn to manage a SA pistol with a safety. Yes, this can be done. The safety stays on unless the pistol raised above 45 degrees, when it comes off. I goes back on when the pistol lowers beyond that point. You practice it util it becomes automatic.

You can learn to manage a short-pull pistol with NO safety. Take the 45 degree procedure above and apply it to 'finger on the trigger'.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/safety-tips-for-the-semi-automatic-pistol/

You can learn to operate a DA/SA pistol. Master the decocker first, then read everything you find by Ernest Langdon.

Any of these pistols will serve you fine but you should pick one and stick with it. Shoot it until you master it.

Well that's just crazy talk; where's the Holy War in that? We need arguments, fights, name calling...all in the name of; "If you don't choose what I chose, then you're an idiot...because I'm so freaking insecure in my own choice, I must force it upon others!"

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Do you wear jeans and a belt and a cover shirt everywhere you go?
Sometimes I wear shorts, but I conceal a full sized handgun just fine because the T-Shirt is the same; I never wear a cover shirt.

Are you too stupid to realize carrying a gun isn't supposed to be uncomfortable?
Yes - But you already knew that.

Honestly I'm just very used to carrying a full sized pistol; I don't find it uncomfortable at all. Experience has taught me that your choice in holsters is paramount to whether you're comfortable or not.

Define "cheap/crap holsters."
Any holster that makes you feel like you're wearing a boat anchor rather than a pistol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kenneth, I didn't see any mention of the Springfield XD or XDm. These pistols have proven very reliable, are reasonably priced, usually come with a bunch of accessories and lastly, in addition to the usual trigger safety such as used on the Glock, Shield and a bunch of other polymer framed, strike fired pistols, they have a grip safety.

The recently redesigned version of the XD, called the XD mod.2 has the best contoured and textured grip I've ever clamped my glue and pipe dope smeared hands around. Lots of guys with cleaner hands concur about the comfort of the Mod.2 grip. Do yourself a favor and check one out.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Kenneth, I didn't see any mention of the Springfield XD or XDm.
aren't these dual stack magazine? i think they are more comparable to the G26 vs the G43 if I remember correctly?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, they are.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no love for the .45 Shield here..??????

OTOH all the ones I have seen have the stupid little safety.

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Little did I like the safety on the shield, small, hard to operate, not to mention no lefty....

Didn't even know no safety was available,

Deflave could have told me about that fact up-front, saved me some time and embarrassment, but as typical he was too busy talking all about his-self.

Why does he feel such need to rain on everyone's parade?

Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I held one of the XDs, not sure which one, but the grip felt almost too rough to me,

I'll look into the mod2 version, headed to a store that's a major player in the area tomorrow, gonna rent two maybe 3 pieces and give her hell.......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Didn't even know no safety was available,

Deflave could have told me about that fact up-front, saved me some time and embarrassment, but as typical he was too busy talking all about his-self.

Don't be kgunty.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SAKO75
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Kenneth, I didn't see any mention of the Springfield XD or XDm.
aren't these dual stack magazine? i think they are more comparable to the G26 vs the G43 if I remember correctly?

They make single stack XD's.

The XD-S

I do have love for the XD but I have never fired an XD-S.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I held one of the XDs, not sure which one, but the grip felt almost too rough to me,

I'll look into the mod2 version, headed to a store that's a major player in the area tomorrow, gonna rent two maybe 3 pieces and give her hell.......

Sometimes those grips that are too rough are a good thing when you get down into the Shield/43 size guns. They're kinda snappy.

But wonderful.

Dave

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jimmyp
no love for the .45 Shield here..??????

I may buy one if I see it tomorrow.

But I think the 9mm/Shield combo is nirvana.

Today.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sometimes those grips that are too rough are a good thing when you get down into the Shield/43 size guns. They're kinda snappy.

But wonderful.

Dave

This^

If it felt very rough it was probably the Mod.2. You'll appreciate the coarse stippling on the grip when you start levitating hot brass.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
Travis what is exact model number of that 9mm Shield?

I too have been checking out CC pistols lately. The 9mm Shield or LCP in 380 Auto was what I pretty much narrowed it down to. Leaning toward the Shield just cuz I think it has more balls. Reading this thread has me thinking I am leaning in the right direction.

What about the Ruger LC9?

Anyone like it over the Shield?

It's this one.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/..._757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

I like the Ruger but like the Shield more better.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool thanks....

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
I was prone shooting steel. A guy was behind me using my spotter and he blurts out "SNAKE!"

It was sidewinding it's nasty ass straight toward me on that concrete pad. When I got clear of it I was going to shoot it with my .40 but I wanted it to get off pavement before doing so.

The other dude unloaded his Beretta on it. It was totally fugked.

Travis

now that's funny. one question, it's head is still on it. traditional around here to cut the head off.

That was done after the photo was taken.

Travis

i kind of hate snakes. some years ago i ran across a mohave. sucker coiled on me, so i did the reasonable thing, shot him in the neck with a .22. That really aggravated him. they move really fast. I was semi backing up running empting a ruger mark I into that guy to get him stopped. I hate snakes. Geez, i think i will probably dream tonight about being prone on a firing line and having one of those suckers running at me.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Kenneth Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Tell me about the trigger pull on a non-safety striker fired shield,

I understand SA, and SA/DA and DA only, but 'striker fired', huh?

Different than DA only?

and yes, I know it's a dumb question.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Tell me about the trigger pull on a non-safety striker fired shield,

I understand SA, and SA/DA and DA only, but 'striker fired', huh?

Different than DA only?

and yes, I know it's a dumb question.

A striker fired pistol like the Shield is somewhere in between a SA and a DA. It does not have the long take up of a DA, but it also won't have a perfect, crisp break like a tuned 1911 or Colt SAA.

But if you're to take a "schitty" 1911 styled pistol, you're pretty much there.

Although I will say the Shield has a bit of a "two-stage" feel. Meaning there's considerable slack, then tension, then it breaks.

But it is all relative and if you're new to pistols, you'll not notice any of this schit. If you grew up thumbing the hammer on dad's Model 14, you're going to think the trigger on a Shield "sucks."

Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

i kind of hate snakes. some years ago i ran across a mohave. sucker coiled on me, so i did the reasonable thing, shot him in the neck with a .22. That really aggravated him. they move really fast. I was semi backing up running empting a ruger mark I into that guy to get him stopped. I hate snakes. Geez, i think i will probably dream tonight about being prone on a firing line and having one of those suckers running at me.

I kill every one I see.

Can't stand them.

Travis

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I kill every one I see.

Can't stand them.

Travis

i got to go out on the desert to my favorite watering hole to check for dove in the next day or so. I was debating mentally which .44 to take with snake shot in it. After that, i think its going to be the remington 1100 with a couple of reloads. You start at the head, then shoot back to the tail. It's almost guaranteed to find buzztails around that tank.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
163 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 22 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 955 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.