Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
After shipping over 200 Browning & Winchester BPCRs, I’ve gained a good bit of experience in packaging the rifles and dealing with the damage caused by shipping companies and the subsequent claim process. Those of you considering shipping a heavy BPC rifle may be interested in a couple of articles on the subject I just posted and updated at the following links:

http://www.texas-mac.com/Shipping_Heavy_Long_Barrel_BPC_Rifles.html

http://www.texas-mac.com/Receiving_and_Returning_Firearms_and_the_Damage-Claim_Process.html

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have shipped a few heavy and few expensive firearms.

What I have done -- and continue to do -- is pack the rifle in a plastic rifle case, then construct a wooden box from 1x6 pine/whiteboard, etc., and 1/4" plywood. Rip the wood to the case height. Glue and screw the corners together, glue and staple the bottom on, then screw to top on.

As I have a table saw, it is no big deal. If you don’t have one, find someone who does.

A Fellow Shooter once told me that by doing so, I am adding to the cost of shipping and probably another US$20.00+ materials. True, but have you ever had to file a damage claim with UPS, FedEx, etc.? They will “nickel and dime” you, then take their time ‘bout paying. I firmly believe that a more than ample, stout packaging is inexpensive insurance and cheaper in the long run.

The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I have only ever had to ship two rifles, both where rollers. I took the wood off and sent them in separate boxes. I have a friend that is a FFL and he showed me footprint on the delivered boxes he gets. He told me to take the wood off before you want me to ship it.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Guys,

I just realized that the link to my article, SHIPPING HEAVY LONG-BARREL BPC RIFLES, was messed up and actually linked to another article. If you were having a problem seeing the article try it again at: http://www.texas-mac.com/Shipping_Heavy_Long_Barrel_BPC_Rifles.html

Wayne

Last edited by texasmac; 08/21/16.

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When my Sharps was delivered, about 4 inches of the muzzle end was sticking through the case and it's surrounding cardboard packaging. Thank God the muzzle, spirit level sight, and finish were all unharmed though. Obviously someone had thrown that package some distance to generate those effects. Fourteen lbs of rifle probably has some energy built up once the package has been launched.

If it ever has to be shipped again, one can bet it will be extremely well packaged.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/21/16.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A recent, and somewhat distressing casualty in keeping with the OP's theme.

At a certain point it just really doesn't MATTER how well you've packed something rare...that CAN'T be replaced

[Linked Image]

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
280 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,170 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,627
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.