Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing wrong with shooting jackrabbits with any kind of gun. I remember those days and miss the hell out of them...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My oldie that needs to be serviced and used again is a pre-war .270. I haven't used it in several years because of weight. Now days that is not much of an issue. My spot and stalk days are over (age/health).

I now hunt either from a stand, hastily assembled blind, or from my Kawasaki Mule, sitting in ambush at water, food plots, game trails, or a feeder. I'm not going to carry it far, so weight is not much of an issue any more.

The old lady was originally purchased by an old family friend, bought when he retired by Cousin, passed on to me when cousin died in an accident some 10-12 years ago.

Padded, D&T, and well used, it is not a collector item. After this season, I may have it turned into a custom featherweight for my grandson. He never knew the original owner and was just a kid when Cousin died.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We might get a few jack rabbits but there few and far between. I remember shooting one with a 223 when you held it up you could see right through him!

7 rifles and 3000 rounds of ammo loaded up and ready. I'm gone:) See ya in a week or so:)

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Jackrabbits are great shooting practice and getting some exercise at the same time.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, never shot any jacks, but have big bored several okleehoma armadillos, did I ever mention to you that a 750 gr Barnes flat nosed solid makes easy work for the buzzard buffet crew? laugh

Trump Won!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
jt402, seems you have some decisions to make, regardless of direction, some old steel is gonna be warmed by burning powder, and that's what this thread is all about.

GSP, have fun and be safe, hope you can check in with us from the woods.

Damn right Elk, any kind of movement outdoors is good for the body and soul, save the work variety. cry laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's been hidden away for several months now, but last night I finally gave my dad his retirement gift... a 1952 .300 H&H. It goes without saying, he was thrilled with it.

As mint as this rifle is, I know we'll be headed to the range soon to try out the old Marble iron sights at 100 yards.

[img:left]https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...881bb4236dcb3e3c89def23d&oe=585E7F5A[/img]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Sweet gift to your Dad!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Outstanding pre64win, that is beautiful, very thoughtful on your part too. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Sweet gift to your Dad!

Yeah, why didn't we get kids like that Elk? cry

Trump Won!
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Good question. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gunner500

My dad bought me my first Winchester (a model 94 in .32 Win Special) and later my first model 70 - a .30-06. He is 100% responsible both for my interest in the pre-64 model 70, as well as my love for hunting. In all honesty, I owe him a great deal more than this rifle.

The .300 H&H was a noticeable hole in my dad's collection, so I was able to get a bit of extra credit picking this particular caliber up for him. I snagged it from a collector friend who had two, and who I knew was extremely picky about his guns. When I learned this rifle was going to become available, it was a no-brainer to buy it for my dad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jackrabbits are great shooting practice and getting some exercise at the same time.

Yeah, I used to exercise the hell out of them in Nevada. They would only get so far though... laugh whistle

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet gift to your Dad!

Yeah, why didn't we get kids like that Elk? cry

laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win

My dad bought me my first Winchester (a model 94 in .32 Win Special) and later my first model 70 - a .30-06. He is 100% responsible both for my interest in the pre-64 model 70, as well as my love for hunting. In all honesty, I owe him a great deal more than this rifle.

The .300 H&H was a noticeable hole in my dad's collection, so I was able to get a bit of extra credit picking this particular caliber up for him. I snagged it from a collector friend who had two, and who I knew was extremely picky about his guns. When I learned this rifle was going to become available, it was a no-brainer to buy it for my dad.

Very cool. Good man. The best I could do for my dad was give him a Ruger 77 boatpaddle 300 win mag. He keeps trying to give it back, but the sob kicks too hard for me to want it... laugh eek

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Yeah, I used to exercise the hell out of them in Nevada. They would only get so far though... laugh whistle
Start them out slowly,then work up. wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by pre64win

Nice to return such a generous favor to your Pops. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very awesome gift to your father. That is some sorta awesome!!

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did some speed checks with some 180's and a little accuracy testing but so far it doesn't seem to really like the combos I've put together.

[Linked Image]

Next time out, I'm going to shim it so the barrel floats and see what happens. Hoping it likes it since I have no problems floating it and making it a good Hunter. I really dig the rifle. Smooth as heck and feels good in my paws.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Very awesome gift to your father. That is some sorta awesome!!

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did some speed checks with some 180's and a little accuracy testing but so far it doesn't seem to really like the combos I've put together.

[Linked Image]

Next time out, I'm going to shim it so the barrel floats and see what happens. Hoping it likes it since I have no problems floating it and making it a good Hunter. I really dig the rifle. Smooth as heck and feels good in my paws.

Hmmmmm.... Veddy interesting.... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The .300 Wby Mag is a killer cartridge - perfect for NA big game in open country.

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hungers with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

Incidentally, those early rechambers done by RW have some nostalgic value to Weatherby fans, as they point back to the very beginnings of Weatherby's success. His barrel stamp was distinctive and a RW rechambered rifle is usually easy to spot - Here's a photo of one:

[Linked Image]

There is no doubt, the .300 Wby looked on paper to be a significant step up from the 300 H&H. What wasn't immediately obvious to everyone was that Roy's cartridges were a tad overpressured and would reduce barrel life compared to the lower pressure cartridges they were displacing. Regardless, they are terrific, flat trajectory chamberings which can really put some mustard behind a heavy projectile. Yours is a fantastic big game rifle!

Last edited by pre64win; 08/26/16. Reason: added photo
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 800 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,377
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.