Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Do you men have an old M-70 you've been staring at in your safes and have thought, I gotta get that thing out, get it zeroed and ready for a hunt?

Well, I did just that yesterday, my old 300 H&H had been wearing a receiver peep for a couple years now and shooting 220 Partitions, it was a fun experiment.

Went to the shop and installed the old Conetrol rings, bases and scope, bore sighted looking down the rear of the bore, and readied for the chronograph.

I've had a bag of new H&H brass and a pound of RL-25 for awhile now, I have little use for RL-25 in any other guns and wanted to develop a load with it for the 300 H&H, I loaded 72 grs of rl-25 under a 200 gr partition, in new WW brass sparked with a Fed-215, set c.o.l. at 3.585" and headed to the chrono, 2886 fps, went and loaded and fired another one, 2891, perfect, I can live with that.

Loaded up 10 rounds and went to the bench, set zero at 3" high at 100 yards and center, with barrel allowed to cool, three shots then went into .776"..........Ready for fall with renewed enthusiasm for an old friend of a rifle that's been there through thick and thin with me and has never let me down.

If you guys have an old favorite standing idly by and waiting, you may consider gassing it up and getting ready for some hunting this year, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of enjoyed satisfaction I got with this old rifle yesterday.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner a few sessions with a 300 H&H will tell us it's fully capable for about any task.

Some are faster, no doubt, but there's no flies on that old cartridge.

Interesting data on the RL25. Good powder.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice! I love the 300 H&H. Partly for nostalgic reasons, but it is really a fine round for long range. I don't personally own a shooter in .300 H&H, so mine lives out a sad life parked in the safe. However, I could see myself loving the .300 H&H for the kind of elk hunting we do up here in Washington - a hunt where you need to get a lot of energy on the target and shots range from 20 yards, out to as far as you are comfortable and competent shooting. Is your rifle a 26" barrel?

Personally, I keep coming back to the .30-06. My first model 70 was chambered in this round and I took my first animal with that rifle... so maybe it has even more nostalgic power over me! That first rifle of mine is now also parked in the safe, but I do most of my big game hunting with a pre-64 .30-06 -a Lilja barrel mated to the pre-64 action, set in a McMillan stock. I had it out last week just to keep in tune with it. I took it out of the case, rested it over a rotting cedar stump and shot just out of center, holding 8" over at 300 yards. Let's go hunting!

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's a killer of a load Gunner! 200 PT at nearly 2900...

Sounds like that rifle is ready to work..

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
Do you men have an old M-70 you've been staring at in your safes and have thought, I gotta get that thing out, get it zeroed and ready for a hunt?

Well, I did just that yesterday, my old 300 H&H had been wearing a receiver peep for a couple years now and shooting 220 Partitions, it was a fun experiment.

Went to the shop and installed the old Conetrol rings, bases and scope, bore sighted looking down the rear of the bore, and readied for the chronograph.

I've had a bag of new H&H brass and a pound of RL-25 for awhile now, I have little use for RL-25 in any other guns and wanted to develop a load with it for the 300 H&H, I loaded 72 grs of rl-25 under a 200 gr partition, in new WW brass sparked with a Fed-215, set c.o.l. at 3.585" and headed to the chrono, 2886 fps, went and loaded and fired another one, 2891, perfect, I can live with that.

Loaded up 10 rounds and went to the bench, set zero at 3" high at 100 yards and center, with barrel allowed to cool, three shots then went into .776"..........Ready for fall with renewed enthusiasm for an old friend of a rifle that's been there through thick and thin with me and has never let me down.

If you guys have an old favorite standing idly by and waiting, you may consider gassing it up and getting ready for some hunting this year, I was pleasantly surprised at the level of enjoyed satisfaction I got with this old rifle yesterday.

Sounds like me this morning with my m1917 30-06. That rifle is fairly new to me, but reminds me of my old sporterized m1917 that I grew up with, except it doesn't weigh 11 pounds!!! Fired 3 shots downrange to check zero. Bullet holes weren't touching, but still around 3/4". Plenty good for elk this season. I was also shooting the 200gr. Nosler partition. Blemished and a little slower than your 300 H&H, but I'll bet it will still get the job done quite handily...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs

Damn straight. That's where I used to run my 300 win mag. That's a stout load to say the least..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle Gunner. Someday, I will get a 308 Norma magnum or 30-338.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is my "old rifle" I was talking about earlier. Still zeroed in from the Carl Ross positional match. These are the only shots I took with the rifle today:

[Linked Image]

Pretty much where I wanted it.

Here's how she did in the carl ross match a couple months ago:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd like to find a "magic" powder for this bullet that zings them out there faster than old and faithful IMR 4350 and still have good accuracy. Any suggestions gunner??? Thanks buddy..

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I remember that someone once told be that no one takes a supergrade hunting. Well I took my 300 H&H this year and took a caribou at 250yard with a barnes X 200gr. It was sweet, just bang flop. Great thread, has to be in my top three favorite cartridges.

Three most useless things to a pilot are:
1. The altitude above you
2. The runway behind you
3. The fuel on the ground
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
This is my "old rifle" I was talking about earlier. Still zeroed in from the Carl Ross positional match. These are the only shots I took with the rifle today:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd like to find a "magic" powder for this bullet that zings them out there faster than old and faithful IMR 4350 and still have good accuracy. Any suggestions gunner??? Thanks buddy..

BSA, I'd look at RL26 if you can find some. A few of the buddies are running 200 Accubonds in their 30-06's and getting really good speeds (2600-2700) pretty easily. I'm sure there are others that will do the same or lose like H4831SC but RL26 is what I've seen with my own eyes. More dense than 25 and seems to really crank.

Semper Fi
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Oh, and what sorta speeds are you getting with 4350?

I can't imagine that load letting you down. That's a hitter!

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA, I'd look at RL26 if you can find some. A few of the buddies are running 200 Accubonds in their 30-06's and getting really good speeds (2600-2700) pretty easily. I'm sure there are others that will do the same or lose like H4831SC but RL26 is what I've seen with my own eyes. More dense than 25 and seems to really crank.

Thank you Scotty. I need to get some of that powder for my 270 anyway!!!!! laugh

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Yep it's a fine round alright, especially when matched up with the great old M70's. I'm happy to have 2 of them, one in it's old form and the other a bit modernized, wonderful combos for sure.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Handwerk, those are both beauties. I remember shooting a pre 64 model 70 300 H&H rifle once. It was sweet man. Not as accurate as my 300 WSM, but still held its own for 5 shots. I remember it (the group) fell to pieces after 5 rounds down range.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BobinNH, you're exactly right on the Super 30, they're much faster, I used to run the 200 gr partition to 2900 fps with H-4831 powder in this very rifle, the near 2900 reached with the first load with RL-25 could indeed be pushed a bit further up the ladder w/rl-25 being a bit slower burning than H-4831, but like I believe we all agree.

29, 2950 or even 3000, I dont believe the game will care, and I myself can't hold steady enough afield to realize any drop/drift advantage of leaning on the old rifle for the last few fps possible, sure glad I outgrew that chit, my brass in all the rest of my rifles seems to last forever now. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
pre64win, I bet the safe queen is a real looker, I'm to retarded to relegate anything to queen status ;]..........they all get powder lit in em here.

Yessir, my rifle has a 26" barrel, according to the serial number it's a 1946 year model, it has had a pad added I concluded/learned from reading here, but that is okay with me.

The '06 would be tough to never not go back too, my old load of 200 gr partitions at 2700 is a real hellbender in the '06.

And yes, to the lets go hunting, I'll be telling a lot of work to kiss my tail this season,, getting time to dull hell outta a bunch of skinning knives.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Thanks Beretz, you know, stumbling upon near 2900 with rl-25 has to be less pressure than 2900 flat with h-4831, easier on the old steel maybe, but accuracy is still there, I must admit, no shortcuts were taken on this quick load workup, this rifle has fired ANY bullet AND powder combo to really good accuracy.

From 150 gr partitions to 200 gr A-Frames all the way to 220 gr partitions, if a man is lucky to have two rifles that will fire all bullets and powders accurately, he can consider himself blessed.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, good on you for going out and lighting a fire in your namesake grin, you damn right it will get it done, three touching under an inch evokes a whole higher level of confidence afield when the pressures on to close the deal.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

[Linked Image]

Nice rifle Gunner. Someday, I will get a 308 Norma magnum or 30-338.

Thanks Buddy, did Winchester ever chamber any pre-64's in 308 NM?

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by aguyinAK
I remember that someone once told be that no one takes a supergrade hunting. Well I took my 300 H&H this year and took a caribou at 250yard with a barnes X 200gr. It was sweet, just bang flop. Great thread, has to be in my top three favorite cartridges.

LOL, that person must not have met me either grin, I even take my supergrade hornet for a stroll every now and then.

Nice shot on that caribou, and I'll eat my hat if you recovered that 200 gr X bullet, bet it sailed through with little meat damage, the 300 H&H most likely is my favorite cartridge in a bolt action rifle, I can't think of any other I like better.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Handwerk, glad you're enjoying them too, the way you're setup, you don't have to wait for dry days afield, you can check the weather, grab the appropriate rifle and head out.

Nice young bull too, those eat real good.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Handwerk, those are both beauties. I remember shooting a pre 64 model 70 300 H&H rifle once. It was sweet man. Not as accurate as my 300 WSM, but still held its own for 5 shots. I remember it (the group) fell to pieces after 5 rounds down range.

You was heating her up there BSA ;]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For sure, 25 has been awesome where it fits. Been using a bunch of 26 lately and believe it'll really carry the mail as well.

Son uses the 200 PTs in his Weatherby. Can't wait to see it out an elk or deer on its nose.

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Beretz, it really fills up that big H&H case really nice, 72 grs of RL-25 is barely touching the bullet base at 3.585"

I have loaded the 200 gr partitions for many buddies in their various 300 mags and even one '06 for at least 25 years, they have all killed multiple elk, mule deer, hogs and wt deer, I have heard nary a complaint, iirc, game including a couple elk that have been slammed at 30 yards and the rest to a long 400 yards have all had timely deaths with rarely a bullet recovery. smile

You just gotta love all that ;]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
pre64win, I bet the safe queen is a real looker, I'm to retarded to relegate anything to queen status ;]..........they all get powder lit in em here.

Yessir, my rifle has a 26" barrel, according to the serial number it's a 1946 year model, it has had a pad added I concluded/learned from reading here, but that is okay with me.

The '06 would be tough to never not go back too, my old load of 200 gr partitions at 2700 is a real hellbender in the '06.

And yes, to the lets go hunting, I'll be telling a lot of work to kiss my tail this season,, getting time to dull hell outta a bunch of skinning knives.

Right on buddy. Could you pm me your 06 200gr. load my friend. I'm also seriously considering buying some RL26. Seems I have to now... laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 BSA, I'm headed out to the shop now to load a few more BBW#13 300 gr solids for my 375 AI Rube Goldberg rifle grin, I'll get that '06 200 gr load while there.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You was heating her up there BSA ;]

He wanted me to shoot 10 shots to compare it to my 300 WSM. I tried to slow fire it, so the barrel wouldn't get too hot. Here's the target from the WSM that day:

11 shots on target:

[Linked Image]

I wish I would have had at least one of my pre 64's with me at the time to show the guy, but I was on a mission to test my new (to me) brown precision little wiggler:

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, that'll still damn work there BSA, that 10 shot deal heats throats more than I like, I don't even shoot my 22-250 that many times without letting it cool, PM sent with '06 load data. smile

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You going to use the H&H on deer this year,Gunner?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You can trust me that I don't shoot my 375 like that... laugh eek

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Elk, I sure am buddy, and any pig I see too.

10-roger on the gallon jug of liquid Advil BSA. laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Interesting,how big are the whitetails in Oklahoma?

Asking cause the mule deer where I hunt may go to 150-160 lbs live weight. May use my H&H this year,but cannot convince myself in using it on "small deer."

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Asking cause the mule deer where I hunt may go to 150-160 lbs live weight. May use my H&H this year,but cannot convince myself in using it on "small deer."

LMAO, here are two men that have killed rabbit and armadillo with a 460 WBY Mag and a 577 Nitro Express. laugh laugh

Our river bottom farm field bucks can go 220+ lbs with the average probably around 180 on the hoof, I like to use the bigger guns on small targets for nothing less than practice alone, not to mention the enjoyment of getting them out there.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

LMAO, here are two men that have killed rabbit and armadillo with a 460 WBY Mag and a 577 Nitro Express. laugh laugh

Our river bottom farm field bucks can go 220+ lbs with the average probably around 180 on the hoof, I like to use the bigger guns on small targets for nothing less than practice alone, not to mention the enjoyment of getting them out there.
Good point! laugh

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
blush grin

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Have a load worked up for the .300 H&H using a 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter. From the 26" barrel it's getting just under 3000 fps. Figure that should kill a deer. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The last time I had my 300 H&H out I had it loaded with 165 NBT and it felled a nice whitetail for me. All this H&H talk makes me want to do it again. First order of business this year is the Savages during the late doe season. I have a 250 and a 300 that I haven't ordained yet.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Have a load worked up for the .300 H&H using a 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunter. From the 26" barrel it's getting just under 3000 fps. Figure that should kill a deer. wink

Yes, that load will do four or five jobs on a deer, hope you bust a nice one with it Elk.

GSP, hope there's time to use all those cool old rifles this year. smile

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Only going to hunt for a day-and-a-half. Be happy to see a legal buck,within range.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Only going to hunt for a day-and-a-half. Be happy to see a legal buck,within range.

Damn, you got crops to get up or something. cry

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Or something. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Uh-Huuhhhh ;]

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gunner it's a fact there are to many rifles and not enough deer season. heading to Wyoming for deer and antelope and will take two new custom rifles a 25/06 and a 275 Rigby that I posted pics of here. Rifle season starts Nov 15 and runs for 15 days and there is a late doe season from just around Christmas to Jan 1. I have a nice stand of pines up on a hill that borders a cedar swamp. I can pick my shots at 50 yards + or - so it's a good place for the 38-55 M94 the 348 M71 and the 500 BPE.

I try to max out the season and hunt every day of rifle season and most of the late season. I donate lots of prime venison to the local shelter.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You better not be sneaking off to Pinedale without me. eek shocked laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Gunner it's a fact there are to many rifles and not enough deer season. heading to Wyoming for deer and antelope and will take two new custom rifles a 25/06 and a 275 Rigby that I posted pics of here. Rifle season starts Nov 15 and runs for 15 days and there is a late doe season from just around Christmas to Jan 1. I have a nice stand of pines up on a hill that borders a cedar swamp. I can pick my shots at 50 yards + or - so it's a good place for the 38-55 M94 the 348 M71 and the 500 BPE.

I try to max out the season and hunt every day of rifle season and most of the late season. I donate lots of prime venison to the local shelter.

Damn GSP, you best get started first and finish last, hope you have that many tags, and my above post was too Elk. lol

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You better not be sneaking off to Pinedale without me. eek shocked laugh
Nope.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I forgot about the 450-400NE, see to many rifles. In the late doe season you can buy as many tags as you want in my area.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Elk.

That's great news GSP, I hunt two states and am allowed about 12 deer a year, if I'm that lucky a particular year I give a lot of the cut and wrapped meat away, no need for me to be a glut. laugh

But I do like shooting the chit outta them just the same.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It might be does only but I love that late season. There no better way to start a new year than by spending the early morning in a deer blind. I gave up the partying long ago in favor of the hunt. 1/1/2016 I took one with the 270 FWT we will see what 1/1/2017 brings:)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes, to hell with having hangovers and hanging with drunken idiot friends when there are deer to kill ;]

I'll take a frosty Jan. morning in the woods over all that other glitz crap.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I told my hunting buddy I'd be at the shop at6am 1/1 and if the light was on I'd stop. To my amazement it was on. I stopped and three guys were there still partying and when I asked where the Old Man was the reply "he just went inside and crashed". I went hunting.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, been there and seen similar, like you, I'll go hunting.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It might be does only but I love that late season. There no better way to start a new year than by spending the early morning in a deer blind. I gave up the partying long ago in favor of the hunt. 1/1/2016 I took one with the 270 FWT we will see what 1/1/2017 brings:)

What's a deer blind? laugh

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's a place that makes up for a lack of woodsmanship:)

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
laugh

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
gunner,

You just kicked me in the azz. I have a pretty nice pre-war M70 270 Win that I bought some years ago because the price was right. I have yet to shoot it. I have no hunting planned for fall but maybe on the hogs in March.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ed, Nice rifle.... I had to go dig my 300 Magnum out...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
gunner,

You just kicked me in the azz. I have a pretty nice pre-war M70 270 Win that I bought some years ago because the price was right. I have yet to shoot it. I have no hunting planned for fall but maybe on the hogs in March.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Damn, that's a beautiful rifle. Is that a 2.5-8x36? Looks great in those controles..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice work Ed and Whitebird, hope you men are gonna get those rifles ready and make meat with 'em, and hope you don't have to wait till March either Ed.

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Also have a Winchester .300 Wby that was a Christmas gift in 2012 that needs to see the woods. wink wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
So many guns so few opportunities. Just back from the range the M70 22 Hornet is prairie dog ready as are the Swifts and others. smile

Working on a SG 300 H&H why I'm not real sure of yet but hopefully it will all come together.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
More great news Elk and GSP, glad you men are stirring the dust off of these old bangers, '12 is too long of a wait if you haven't christened that gift yet Elk. cry ;]

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,it is. frown

Maybe in late October it'll kill a mule deer buck.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Yes,it is. frown

I wanna see a pic Elk, I know you'll close the deal on one. smile

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gunner if your looking for pics I'll send you some of what happens to a prairie dog when it meets a ballistic tip from a 220 swift:)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner if your looking for pics I'll send you some of what happens to a prairie dog when it meets a ballistic tip from a 220 swift:)

BTDT, LOL, the chum pile will nicely fill a coffee filter. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You know your having a good day when the buzzards start circling and it's good practice for deer season.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You know your having a good day when the buzzards start circling and it's good practice for deer season.

Yes, they wait in herds up in the trees wondering, is this jackass ever gonna leave so we can eat? ror

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We have had Golden Eagles feeding while we were still shooting. On occasion a coyote will be added to the buffet.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Cool stuff there GSP. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I try :)It's going to be a fun week and it's the same ranch I'll be hunting deer and antelope on in October so I'll get some scouting in also.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Woods/Plains/Mountain triple tasking can never be a bad thing.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Accurate rifles (even those old Winchesters) lots of ammo and a place to use them.....PRICELESS.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You bet, and fook american express. laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
....................or was that Visa? ;]

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
American Express for me is a 55gr ballistic tip at 3000 FPS meeting flesh:) Hey that's just me however.

It's doing God's work after all. He made varmints and man and man made varmint rifles to be used on varmints so It's all part of the master plan. that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,it is. frown

I wanna see a pic Elk, I know you'll close the deal on one. smile
You're more confident than I am.

Last year it took 3 days just to accidentally find a legal buck. In New Mexico it has to have a visible fork on one side.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, thats right GSP, we are, after all, charged with caring for the place God created for us.

I gots faith in ya Elk, you can do it Main. grin

I'm gonna be hell on all that's legal this year! ;]

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
If I find a legal buck,by damn I'm shooting! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Rah-Jah that!

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If I find a legal buck,by damn I'm shooting! smile

That's my motto on elk too. I held out for about 2 minutes last time though, but no bigger bull showed up. I had to shoot another spike.... laugh

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Any legal elk is a good elk. smile

Especially if it's close to a road.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Amen brother!!!

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Listen to you two guys, 'had to shoot a spike' and 'as long as it's close to a road,' my flatlander ass has nearly died trying to hunt elk, only to come home worn to a frazzle with near frostbit ear tips and no elk. laugh cry laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Listen to you two guys, 'had to shoot a spike' and 'as long as it's close to a road,' my flatlander ass has nearly died trying to hunt elk, only to come home worn to a frazzle with near frostbit ear tips and no elk. laugh cry laugh
Done that too. grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LMFAO! it sucks, but still beats work! laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,it does! smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
gunner,

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow. That's a beauty, Ed! Good luck with it. Looks like a perfect package.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
You need to grab you up a 300 H&H or custom pre-64 and join the fun LD, I've got a custom stocked pre-64 270 too. shocked smile

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
My .300 H&H.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Going to replace the tacky stock on it now with a good piece of wood,or a Banser fiberglass stock.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
No flies on that one Elk, nice rifle man, bet it shoots good too. wink

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
It does. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great caliber. Have had 4 or 5.. Have only a rRuger # 1 now..

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You need to grab you up a 300 H&H or custom pre-64 and join the fun LD, I've got a custom stocked pre-64 270 too. shocked smile

Me to, maybe we should start a club. My elk all die at the bottom of some steep ass mountain.

Last edited by GSPfan; 08/24/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 Elk, that mulie is in deep chit and don't even know it ;]

GSP, great idea, don't forget to extend applications to those 18 to 30, we need someone to go to the bottom of the canyons for dead deer and elk. grin

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Right now,it'll be jackrabbitts. Got to practice first. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Right now,it'll be jackrabbitts. Got to practice first. wink

There gonna be in a bigger frag pile than those hit with your 460. eek laugh

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nothing wrong with shooting jackrabbits with any kind of gun. I remember those days and miss the hell out of them...

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My oldie that needs to be serviced and used again is a pre-war .270. I haven't used it in several years because of weight. Now days that is not much of an issue. My spot and stalk days are over (age/health).

I now hunt either from a stand, hastily assembled blind, or from my Kawasaki Mule, sitting in ambush at water, food plots, game trails, or a feeder. I'm not going to carry it far, so weight is not much of an issue any more.

The old lady was originally purchased by an old family friend, bought when he retired by Cousin, passed on to me when cousin died in an accident some 10-12 years ago.

Padded, D&T, and well used, it is not a collector item. After this season, I may have it turned into a custom featherweight for my grandson. He never knew the original owner and was just a kid when Cousin died.

Best,

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
We might get a few jack rabbits but there few and far between. I remember shooting one with a 223 when you held it up you could see right through him!

7 rifles and 3000 rounds of ammo loaded up and ready. I'm gone:) See ya in a week or so:)

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Jackrabbits are great shooting practice and getting some exercise at the same time.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
BSA, never shot any jacks, but have big bored several okleehoma armadillos, did I ever mention to you that a 750 gr Barnes flat nosed solid makes easy work for the buzzard buffet crew? laugh

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
jt402, seems you have some decisions to make, regardless of direction, some old steel is gonna be warmed by burning powder, and that's what this thread is all about.

GSP, have fun and be safe, hope you can check in with us from the woods.

Damn right Elk, any kind of movement outdoors is good for the body and soul, save the work variety. cry laugh

Trump Won!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It's been hidden away for several months now, but last night I finally gave my dad his retirement gift... a 1952 .300 H&H. It goes without saying, he was thrilled with it.

As mint as this rifle is, I know we'll be headed to the range soon to try out the old Marble iron sights at 100 yards.

[img:left]https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...881bb4236dcb3e3c89def23d&oe=585E7F5A[/img]

[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Sweet gift to your Dad!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Outstanding pre64win, that is beautiful, very thoughtful on your part too. wink

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sweet gift to your Dad!

Yeah, why didn't we get kids like that Elk? cry

Trump Won!
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Good question. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

My dad bought me my first Winchester (a model 94 in .32 Win Special) and later my first model 70 - a .30-06. He is 100% responsible both for my interest in the pre-64 model 70, as well as my love for hunting. In all honesty, I owe him a great deal more than this rifle.

The .300 H&H was a noticeable hole in my dad's collection, so I was able to get a bit of extra credit picking this particular caliber up for him. I snagged it from a collector friend who had two, and who I knew was extremely picky about his guns. When I learned this rifle was going to become available, it was a no-brainer to buy it for my dad.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jackrabbits are great shooting practice and getting some exercise at the same time.

Yeah, I used to exercise the hell out of them in Nevada. They would only get so far though... laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sweet gift to your Dad!

Yeah, why didn't we get kids like that Elk? cry

laugh

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pre64win

My dad bought me my first Winchester (a model 94 in .32 Win Special) and later my first model 70 - a .30-06. He is 100% responsible both for my interest in the pre-64 model 70, as well as my love for hunting. In all honesty, I owe him a great deal more than this rifle.

The .300 H&H was a noticeable hole in my dad's collection, so I was able to get a bit of extra credit picking this particular caliber up for him. I snagged it from a collector friend who had two, and who I knew was extremely picky about his guns. When I learned this rifle was going to become available, it was a no-brainer to buy it for my dad.

Very cool. Good man. The best I could do for my dad was give him a Ruger 77 boatpaddle 300 win mag. He keeps trying to give it back, but the sob kicks too hard for me to want it... laugh eek

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Yeah, I used to exercise the hell out of them in Nevada. They would only get so far though... laugh whistle
Start them out slowly,then work up. wink grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Nice to return such a generous favor to your Pops. cool

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very awesome gift to your father. That is some sorta awesome!!

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did some speed checks with some 180's and a little accuracy testing but so far it doesn't seem to really like the combos I've put together.

[Linked Image]

Next time out, I'm going to shim it so the barrel floats and see what happens. Hoping it likes it since I have no problems floating it and making it a good Hunter. I really dig the rifle. Smooth as heck and feels good in my paws.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I've been monkey'ing around with an old rechambered P64 I've had for a long time. Finally decided to shoot it. It was a 300 H&H but seems nicely rechambered to 300 Wby.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did some speed checks with some 180's and a little accuracy testing but so far it doesn't seem to really like the combos I've put together.

[Linked Image]

Next time out, I'm going to shim it so the barrel floats and see what happens. Hoping it likes it since I have no problems floating it and making it a good Hunter. I really dig the rifle. Smooth as heck and feels good in my paws.

Hmmmmm.... Veddy interesting.... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The .300 Wby Mag is a killer cartridge - perfect for NA big game in open country.

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hungers with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

Incidentally, those early rechambers done by RW have some nostalgic value to Weatherby fans, as they point back to the very beginnings of Weatherby's success. His barrel stamp was distinctive and a RW rechambered rifle is usually easy to spot - Here's a photo of one:

[Linked Image]

There is no doubt, the .300 Wby looked on paper to be a significant step up from the 300 H&H. What wasn't immediately obvious to everyone was that Roy's cartridges were a tad overpressured and would reduce barrel life compared to the lower pressure cartridges they were displacing. Regardless, they are terrific, flat trajectory chamberings which can really put some mustard behind a heavy projectile. Yours is a fantastic big game rifle!

Last edited by pre64win; 08/26/16. Reason: added photo
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice old bang stick there Beretz.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The .300 Wby Mag is a killer cartridge - perfect for NA big game in open country.

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hungers with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

Incidentally, those early rechambers done by RW have some nostalgic value to Weatherby fans, as they point back to the very beginnings of Weatherby's success. His barrel stamp was distinctive and a RW rechambered rifle is usually easy to spot - Here's a photo of one:

[Linked Image]

There is no doubt, the .300 Wby looked on paper to be a significant step up from the 300 H&H. What wasn't immediately obvious to everyone was that Roy's cartridges were a tad overpressured and would reduce barrel life compared to the lower pressure cartridges they were displacing. Regardless, they are terrific, flat trajectory chamberings which can really put some mustard behind a heavy projectile. Yours is a fantastic big game rifle!

Pretty clean looking stamp there. Looks great. I'm wondering how beretz's rifle is stamped? I've also seen some pretty cool original "Weatherby" rifles myself. One was built on a m1917 action and was about the nicest m1917 I've laid eyes on. The asking price ($2,500.00) was too much for my blood, but I still think about that rifle from time to time...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think and I'll have to look next time that WBY is actually stamped underneath the barrel. If I keep it as is I will probably get it stamped correctly.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty, is that your sons rifle or does he have a different 300WBY? How is the recoil compared to your 338?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Scotty, is that your sons rifle or does he have a different 300WBY? How is the recoil compared to your 338?

Son has a MKV Japanese rifle. Very light for a 300 Wby but the brake tames it a bunch.

This 70 is mine. Had it for awhile. Just never could decide what to do with it. Never been a huge 30 cal guy but I like what the 300 Weatherby does with tough hunting Bullets.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, it will put "tough" hunting bullets through thick lodge pines. Dead ones of course. Ask me how I know that..... laugh How does the recoil compare to your 338? Probably a little bit stiffer huh?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Actually, to be honest the 300 Wby with 180's feels a little easier on me than my P64 338 with 225 Partitions at 2900. I am digging the 300 Wby to be honest BSA, if the rifle will shoot decently I may get to hunt it a little this Fall.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Actually, to be honest the 300 Wby with 180's feels a little easier on me than my P64 338 with 225 Partitions at 2900. I am digging the 300 Wby to be honest BSA, if the rifle will shoot decently I may get to hunt it a little this Fall.

Bring it by my house this fall and I'll glass bed it and float the barrel for you... wink. I'm hunting first season this year, so it shouldn't be a problem...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've been cleaning up my "H&H", since Gunner was wanting some pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I can see why we can get a little excited over these old H&H rifles... laugh wink

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Sweet rifle.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Sweet rifle.
Yup,the stock though..... whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry, but I put more faith and trust in that stock than I do the factory wood stock. There's a reason they started putting crossbolts in 375 H&H and 458 stocks. The ones without certain updates are pretty iffy at best...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Easy BSA,just teasin' you on the stock colors. grin

It's not a Pre '64 but do have a .375 H&H in a fiberglass stock.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I really do like the looks of that one. That's about the perfect package right there, and it even has irons.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Thinking of doing my .300 H&H in the same style and color stock. Then I'll have a kinda/sorta matched pair of H&H's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That would be very cool. How you liking that Bansner? I had one for a while on a classic, but didn't care for it too much. Ergo's were good, but it just didn't feel right to me. It did help to soak up recoil though. Very nice for shooting off the bench...

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
I like it.

Will be using that .375 on rabbits this fall.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha... Good luck there. Hope you get some good ones..

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Oh,I will. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like it.

That's a Bansner stock? Like it mucho on an M70.
Bob

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup,that's a Banser stock and yup,like it on the M 70. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Sweet rifle.

I'm to fat to be walking out on ice this thin, best tread lightly or this rifle may wind up in Okleehoma. grin

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
That would be very cool. How you liking that Bansner? I had one for a while on a classic, but didn't care for it too much. Ergo's were good, but it just didn't feel right to me. It did help to soak up recoil though. Very nice for shooting off the bench...

BSA, I got a Bansner on a '09 DWM Mauser in 6.5x55 Swede, nice stock, but they are too fat in the forend, particularly with my #2 contour barrel.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I like it.

I'm surprised that Bansner holds the recoil of that 375 Elk, but yes, the fat forend would be fine with a 5 contour barrel. cool

Nice piece.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Very nice 375 Elkhunter.. That is a good looking hunting rifle.

BSA, I'm not sure what I'm going to do just yet with the Weatherby. Kinda taking it slow with this one. If I can get it to respond to floating then I might just put it in a good synthetic and leave the wood stock alone. I just wanna make sure it'll shoot before I get too far into it.

Semper Fi
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

I've owned more than one pre 64 300 H&H which someone had rechambered into the .300 Wby. One of these rechambered rifles was done by Roy Weatherby himself, in the 1950s, I believe. As Roy Weatherby was trying to gain traction with his new cartridges, one of the things he did was offer very low-cost rechambering of non-Weatherby rifles into Weatherby cartridges. At the same time he was equipping big name hunters with these rifles and sending them on heavily publicized dangerous game hunts. A brilliant move, really, as it popularized the cartridges and therefore popularized the Weatherby rifles which had those chamberings from the factory.

[Linked Image]

I found out yesterday we have yet another .300 H&H coming into inventory which has the "H&H" XX'd out and "Wby" stamped above it. A pity the barrel has been modified from original, but a killer cartridge on a great rifle nonetheless. Depending on condition, we will either rebarrel it back to original, or use it as a parts donor rifle. In either case, I'll have a .300 Wby Mag barrel with a mint bore available on the website for anyone else is interested in owning a pre-64 chambered in this killer round. The bluing is mint and the price will be somewhere around $150.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sounds like a great deal buddy. Hey, out of curiosity do you have any H&H magnum stocks laying around. A buddy and I are looking for a nice one. You probably know my gunsmith here in north central Oregon. I'm going to check with him on Saturday, but open to other options. Anyone ever convert a std stock to H&H. Particularly the 375 H&H????

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
do you have any H&H magnum stocks laying around. A buddy and I are looking for a nice one.

I have one, but it is cut for a recoil pad and has a birdseye maple Schnabel forend. It's a nice stock, but it's not stock... if you know what I mean laugh

[Linked Image]

Anyone ever convert a std stock to H&H. Particularly the 375 H&H????

I'm working on one now. A 1956 marksman stock which was originally a .30-06 and is going to be a .300 H&H bull gun. For the bull rifle, the modification is limited to the inletting for the longer magazine box - it needs to be lengthened by around .25". Converting a standard sporter stock to work with a .375 H&H would be much more problematic, as the barrel contour is so different. If you wanted to go down this path, you may actually be better off starting with a Featherweight stock, so you can open the barrel channel without needing to deal with the wide spot in the channel that accommodates the rear sight boss.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
do you have any H&H magnum stocks laying around. A buddy and I are looking for a nice one.

I have one, but it is cut for a recoil pad and has a birdseye maple Schnabel forend. It's a nice stock, but it's not stock... if you know what I mean laugh

[Linked Image]

Anyone ever convert a std stock to H&H. Particularly the 375 H&H????

I'm working on one now. A 1956 marksman stock which was originally a .30-06 and is going to be a .300 H&H bull gun. For the bull rifle, the modification is limited to the inletting for the longer magazine box - it needs to be lengthened by around .25". Converting a standard sporter stock to work with a .375 H&H would be much more problematic, as the barrel contour is so different. If you wanted to go down this path, you may actually be better off starting with a Featherweight stock, so you can open the barrel channel without needing to deal with the wide spot in the channel that accommodates the rear sight boss.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a great idea. I'll pass that information along.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm just getting home from Wyoming prairie dog shooting. Bad news is the dog population is way, way down where we were. My buddy was there in the spring and there were lots of dogs. They have had only about 3 inches of rain all summer I don't know if that has contributed or not.

The good news is I won't be loading all winter for next year. The Winchester's held there own with the Cooper's. BUT the BEST news is that before I left I made a deal on 2 SG's a 220 Swift and a 300 H&H. I should have them by the end of next week.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'm just getting home from Wyoming prairie dog shooting. Bad news is the dog population is way, way down where we were. My buddy was there in the spring and there were lots of dogs. They have had only about 3 inches of rain all summer I don't know if that has contributed or not.

The good news is I won't be loading all winter for next year. The Winchester's held there own with the Cooper's. BUT the BEST news is that before I left I made a deal on 2 SG's a 220 Swift and a 300 H&H. I should have them by the end of next week.

Sorry about the lean dogs, but glad you wont have to load all Winter Too.

And CONGRATS on the new acquisitions, WE NEED TO SEE PICS!!!!! grin

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,831
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.