Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I must admit, other than .22 rimfire and 32 H&R Mag, I know vey little about cartridges that don't start with a ".4". I guess I am familiar with the 357 Mag a bit.

Anyhoo, other than .40 S&W and 45 ACP, I don't have much experience with semi auto pistols.

I want a small CC pistola. I was leaning toward a Ruger LC9 or a Shield 9 with no safety. I got to handle each last night.

I also fondled a Ruger LCP and a Smith Bodyguard. Both were quite a bit smaller than said 9mms. Both were in 380.

I know the 380 isn't a 9mm. And that the 9mm is more effective. But I really like those tiny little 380s to carry and hopefully never have to use.

So question is, who uses one? How "well protected" do you feel, or do you feel "under gunned" with one?

I was going to just buy a 9mm, but these little 380s are so light/ unobtrusive, they really have me thinking....

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I guess having a 380 & shooting a big feller with one might give you an advantage in the fistfight that is sure to follow........... wink

More seriously, Ken, the newer ammo has marginally upgraded the 380, with the key word being marginally.

My wife carries a M&Pc, which is fairly small but is a double stack so she was considering a thinner gun in 380 for pocket or jacket carry........she pretty much only carries the M&Pc in a purse.

So a couple of weeks ago, we we tried out a S&W Bodyguard, a Glock 42 & one of the Bersa Thunder versions that friends had.

The Bodyguard's trigger has to be one of the worst & I've fired & is a POS.

The Glock is pretty good, though it feels a tad bigger than the Bodyguard, but isn't bad & I could live with it.

The Bersa isn't bad either but is also a bit larger.

All are single stack.

I just am not enamored with mouse guns & just carry a J-frame hammerless in a front jeans pocket if I don't carry a holster gun.........it's bulges a tad, but with Wranglers or looser pants, it's just not an issue.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would guess self defense situations are typically quick and close range. Something is better than nothing, if you will carry a 380 it's better than nothing. 22's have put people down, a 380 isn't something I want to take to the chest or anywhere else

Last edited by SAKO75; 08/20/16.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't get a bodyguard though...

I'm not sure snub nose 38s penetrate any deeper or expand mush larger vs the better made 380 hollow points...they do weigh more and I'm sure "hit harder" to some degree but probably easier to shoot a g42 vs a 38 snubby, I don't know though

The glock 42 is what I have and I like it alot....no failures of any sort in close to 200 rounds...

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Well hel l, if a 9 works on Grizz, then a 380 should work on H/rats.

But seriously I am looking forward to the comments and advice myself. I might add a Glock to the collection.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks gents.

And I did take notice of the heavy trigger on the Bodyguard, Bill. Which had me leaning toward the LCP.

More effective ammo is also something that has me wondering if the 380 of today is substantially better or not....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is a 380 Gold Dot from a Glock 42

It went through 2 milk jugs full of water and stopped in the third

Half inch expansion probably at least 1 foot of penetration...

[Linked Image]

Here it is neXT to a 9mm federal HST 124 grain +p

The 9mm penetrated the same distance as the 380, although it treated the milk jugs more violently

I'm not predicting these will act the same way in flesh, just a comparison in gallon milk jugs full of water

[Linked Image]

― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nice. I have long been a fan of GD bullets....

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I was never a big fan of the .380 either....but lately rather than not have anything when the Commander just isn't practical I've been pocket carrying a Kahr P380. Much smaller than the Glock 42 and for me easier to shoot...

Sights and trigger pull are excellent. I've shot it at the local IDPA shoots in the BUG division and and do better than most of the other shooters who are using larger guns...

Bob

[Linked Image]

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SAKO75
but probably easier to shoot a g42 vs a 38 snubby, I don't know though

Good grips on a J-frame make it much more shootable than stock grips do. 38 caliber, 135 gr GD's are fairly potent..........

If I were going to get a 380 for pocket carry, based on the minimal testing that I've done, it would be the G-42 for sure.

I have an older Beretta 380 that I really like but it's just too big for pants pocket carry at all.

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
I was never a big fan of the .380 either....but lately rather than not have anything when the Commander just isn't practical I've been pocket carrying a Kahr P380. Much smaller than the Glock 42 and for me easier to shoot...

Sights and trigger pull are excellent. I've shot it at the local IDPA shoots in the BUG division and and do better than most of the other shooters who are using larger guns...

Bob

[Linked Image]

That looks like a good option too........I've not shot one of them yet, though.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got a little LCP that has proven reliable and accurate enough for 7 yard head shots on a B21 or 8 ring hits to about 50. Yes the trigger is long and a tad heavy, but I like that for pocket carry. I carry FMJ in mine with a preference for Winchester flat point.

[Linked Image]

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I guess pistol size, shootability, is relative to the hand holding it

The kahr is smaller than the 42 no doubt
But the 42 is small enough for my hand

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 08/21/16.

― George Orwell, 1984
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've been known to slum a 42 more than a few times.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
G42 .380 for a semi auto, 431PD .32 H&R for a J frame. I actually carry the 431 more often, I do break out the Colt MK IV Series 80 Government .380 when feeling sporty, it usually lives in the nightstand.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally, I think the .380 cartridge makes the most sense in LCP and Kahr sized platforms. These guns serve as perfect pocket pistols and in that role I think they reign supreme.

However, carrying an LCP sized gun in a traditional manner on the waist (IWB or OWB) makes no sense as you can just as readily carry a compact sized 9mm. The same pretty much goes for most methods of off-body carry where size isn’t quite so critical.

Unless there are concerns about recoil, a 9mm sized pistol chambered for something like the .380 is a non-starter in my book.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
For when you cannot carry a bigger gun a Kahr P380 or CW380 in your pocket, it's a compromise I have to often make.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Look over the LC9sPro again. Pretty nice little gun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Placement is still the most important aspect in stopping an attacker - given adequate penetration and bullet performance. Lots of good .380 ammo on the market these days that has really upgraded its terminal performance. As long as you can hit the target with whatever pistol you're carrying then its size, big or large, shouldn't be a detriment.

That said, I agree with the others that the best place for the .380 is in the lightest, smallest package possible. If your particular situation allows it then it doesn't hurt to switch to a 9mm or other more powerful round, either single stack or higher capacity. But if all I had was a .380 and could hit with it I certainly wouldn't feel helpless.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

So question is, who uses one? How "well protected" do you feel, or do you feel "under gunned" with one?

I use a LCP with a pocket holster and I do not feel under gunned. For a defensive pistol I feel that it can do the job and it carries about the same size as an I-phone.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 40 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.