Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Valsdad
FG and huntsman,

those things don't happen nearly as often when one uses a framing hammer wink

Geno

PS, but then again, I've been accused of being a Luddite.

I know all about hammers Geno......when I was a pup just breaking in I worked on a joisting crew for a big multi-family builder...we were issued a 50# keg of sinkers every morning and if you couldn't drive em all in a day (not drop em, drive em) you went back to packing lumber until you could....
I've not only framed literally hundreds of houses by hand....but there was also the quality time I spent hand nailing floor sheathing with 16 galvies for my old man while he sat on the tail gate and drank beer...
I wake up at least once every night with a throbbing right arm due to my years swinging a rigging axe before nail guns were invented.....

BTW....a new framing hammer with nice sharp corrigation can peel a bacon sized chunk of skin off your thumb or fore finger that hurts worse and takes A LOT longer to heal than this does.....
I'm sure Don will confirm that theory......

Ask me how I know this is a fact! blush

I figured you two knew what a hammer or axe was and how to use it. (old guys like us do, hand saws and planes too)

I never worked in the industry like you did, for as long or on those type of jobs (my little brother does, drives the "bone" now lifting s--t for the guys). I did some part time work, pick up stuff for my friends in the industry, helped folks with big projects, and such when I needed to find work (do folks still do that?).

Boy, I can think of some jobs a nailer would have been a blessing. (Dang short roofing nails!) But I was never so lucky.

Don, I'll take that rebar trick under advisement, sounds like a workable solution.

You guys quit pokin' holes in yer hands now, ya' hear. Go poke holes in critters.

Geno

PS, all that nighttime hurt in my hands and back comes from years lifting baking pans full of bread/buns off a production line. Base of my thumbs are shot, as the nurse put it, from use, use, use.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by huntsman22
confirmation..... The best thing a guy can do with a new waffle-faced rigger, is drive a buncha rebar stakes to take the 'sharp' outta it.......

Yea....we used to flatten em down a tich too...not so much that they wouldn't "grip" mind you.....

Here's another old trick from those who carpentered back before they had disposable carbide saw blades.....Don probably know this one too....when our last blade got dull we'd turn em around backwards in the saw and run em in a sand pile for minute or so.....it wasn't like a fresh blade but it would get ya by until the end of the day most times....

Ah...the good ol days before cordless tools...carbide blades...and nail guns.........yea right.... crazy

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I figured you two knew what a hammer or axe was and how to use it. (old guys like us do, hand saws and planes too)

I never worked in the industry like you did, for as long or on those type of jobs (my little brother does, drives the "bone" now lifting s--t for the guys). I did some part time work, pick up stuff for my friends in the industry, helped folks with big projects, and such when I needed to find work (do folks still do that?).

Boy, I can think of some jobs a nailer would have been a blessing. (Dang short roofing nails!) But I was never so lucky.

Don, I'll take that rebar trick under advisement, sounds like a workable solution.

You guys quit pokin' holes in yer hands now, ya' hear. Go poke holes in critters.

Geno

PS, all that nighttime hurt in my hands and back comes from years lifting baking pans full of bread/buns off a production line. Base of my thumbs are shot, as the nurse put it, from use, use, use.

I know that's true.....a good friend went to work for a big commercial bakery over in San Leandro CA shortly after we graduated....it weren't no work for sissies....and he was a big boy....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Your lucky you didn't pin yourself to the rafter tail while hanging off the ladder in that precarious position. That would have really sucked! You'd have been half crucified.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot my self through the palm of my hand, and "toe nailed" my palm to my wrist, using a 2 1/2" glue coated casing nail. Couldn't grab it with a pair of pliers.
Got my median nerve. Was about a year before I got the feeling back to my fingertips.
It's not "if" but "when".

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And yes, a brand new 32 oz framing hammer will peel some serious flesh, to the bone.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A "pro" may not hit his fingers as often, but when he does, it will be a damn sight harder.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
A "pro" may not hit his fingers as often, but when he does, it will be a damn sight harder.

Truth ^^^^^^^

Peels it like a banana......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I really don't miss not always having black fingernails, either.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Geno

I know that's true.....a good friend went to work for a big commercial bakery over in San Leandro CA shortly after we graduated....it weren't no work for sissies....and he was a big boy....

Size didn't matter, toughness did, along with work ethic. We had guys start work, stay 2 hrs until the first smoke break, walk out for a smoke, and never come back. Didn't even come back for their 2 hrs worth of paycheck and it was good money back then.

But, I can say the same about a bunch of framers, concrete guys, and roofers too!

Hope the hand is still healing nicely.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We had guys start work, stay 2 hrs until the first smoke break, walk out for a smoke, and never come back. Didn't even come back for their 2 hrs worth of paycheck and it was good money back then.

But, I can say the same about a bunch of framers, concrete guys, and roofers too!

Geno

True that^^^^^^.....reminds me of one particular job that I was running a big pre-fab yard on....it was a HUD project so we had to hire just about anyone that walked up and asked....well one morning I put this meek mild young fellow to work knowing that he probably wouldn't make it and sure enough about two hours in he shuffled over to me and very politely said "excuse me sir but who would I see about quitting....I kinda felt sorry for him but I just shook my head and said "see yourself"....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How's the hand healing up today? Well I hope.

New pictures?

Geno

In it is contentment

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

thats a coated sinker. were it a galvanized 16d, you'd had some fun pulling that sucker.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We had guys start work, stay 2 hrs until the first smoke break, walk out for a smoke, and never come back. Didn't even come back for their 2 hrs worth of paycheck and it was good money back then.

Geno

True that^^^^^^.....reminds me of one particular job that I was running a big pre-fab yard on....it was a HUD project so we had to hire just about anyone that walked up and asked....well one morning I put this meek mild young fellow to work knowing that he probably wouldn't make it and sure enough about two hours in he shuffled over to me and very politely said "excuse me sir but who would I see about quitting....I kinda felt sorry for him but I just shook my head and said "see yourself"....

Charlie, great lesson.

And damn man, be careful with that frikken nail gun!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Man, that makes my hand hurt just looking at it!

Glad there's not much damage, opposable thumbs are the only thing that separate us from the rest of our critters. grin

Just think if you had a "full auto" switch on that bad boy. eek

Hope it heals up soon!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Glad there's not much damage, opposable thumbs are the only thing that separate us from the rest of our critters. grin

LOL......No chit....with my IQ I'd be in deep do do without that opposable thumb thing......

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Geno

Charlie, great lesson.

And damn man, be careful with that frikken nail gun!

No worries Sam.....just a flesh wound....hell it's almost heeled up already.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
confirmation..... The best thing a guy can do with a new waffle-faced rigger, is drive a buncha rebar stakes to take the 'sharp' outta it.......

Yea....we used to flatten em down a tich too...not so much that they wouldn't "grip" mind you.....

Here's another old trick from those who carpentered back before they had disposable carbide saw blades.....Don probably know this one too....when our last blade got dull we'd turn em around backwards in the saw and run em in a sand pile for minute or so.....it wasn't like a fresh blade but it would get ya by until the end of the day most times....

Ah...the good ol days before cordless tools...carbide blades...and nail guns.........yea right.... crazy

Those damn things can peel a thumb like an orange. Don't ask me how I know....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
Those damn things can peel a thumb like an orange. Don't ask me how I know....

I don't have to ask.....I know how you know.....and I've got the scar tissue to prove it....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,758 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,572
Posts18,453,885
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.