Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What is the better a AR in the $600 and under price range? I am looking at this one from Buds. I have been told some of these are not accurate at 100 yards with groups 3" to 5"? I am wanting groups in the 1.5" range or better.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_36_1989/products_id/70770/DPMS+RFA3-OC+Oracle+30+1+223REM5.56NATO+16%22

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tracy

It is not about what you kill, it is about the hunt....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nimrodtracy
What is the better a AR in the $600 and under price range? I am looking at this one from Buds. I have been told some of these are not accurate at 100 yards with groups 3" to 5"? I am wanting groups in the 1.5" range or better.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_36_1989/products_id/70770/DPMS+RFA3-OC+Oracle+30+1+223REM5.56NATO+16%22

Tracy

Three to five inch groups probably says more about the shooter and the ammo than the gun.
Benched or off-hand? Open sights or scoped? 55 gr. FMJ, or decent hunting/ target ammo?

That being said, I think you could do better.

The Oracle has a lightweight pencil barrel, an extra heavy handgaurd (Glacier Gaurd), and a gas block rail that is lower than the receiver rail, making it pretty worthless.

If you want a relatively light plinker to put a red dot or low power scope on, it would serve.

Last edited by NVhntr; 08/21/16.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have one and it looks like it is an OK shooter but the trigger will have to be replaced before anyone would be able to give it a real test.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
these posts are cracking me up..buy once and cry once.

Last edited by jimmyp; 08/21/16.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say a S&W Sporter 2.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jimmyp

I bought what I could afford with the cash I had. It works for what I wanted and I am slowly changing it to make it better.

I am retired and cannot afford a off the shelf high dollar AR or even to build one from scratch. The five hundred and a little put one in my hands and allows me the fun of shooting while I work on it. I am happy I provide you the mirth.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Tracy

Buy the first AR you see in your price range.

They ain't gettin' cheaper.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Smith and Wesson Sporter or the lower end Ruger 5.56 are both great Ars for that price range,

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have no experience with Anderson's complete rifles, but Primary Arms has their M4gery for $499.99. I don't think the bore is chrome-lined or nitride though.

Link

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I picked up one of those Andersons as a gift for my brother in law. I haven't shot it, but just handling and thoroughly inspecting it, I'm happy with it for the price. No it's not chrome-lined or nitrided. Trigger not too bad for mil-spec. The basic carbine stock even surprised me - fits better than I'm used to, and has a quick connect for a sling vs the sling loop at the bottom rear. It doesn't come with any type of rear sight, so figure another $40 at least (Magpul BUIS). Comes with one 30rd GI mag. They have a couple of others in the $600-700 range you might check out too.

And Primary Arms is close to you.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

LOL, buy once... thats hilarious. How many have you played with. Grins.

But once again, a 600 buck one, if it runs and if the barrel is a decent one, will fill most everyones desires...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I have no experience with Anderson's complete rifles, but Primary Arms has their M4gery for $499.99. I don't think the bore is chrome-lined or nitride though.

Link

Damn near no bolt guns are either... FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Buy a good one, cry over the price but never the quality. LOL. Let's also say I have seen more than one and less than 100! Plus I have built a few! Today at the range a guy could not get his SW sport to feed M193 from a magpul magazine. Buy the best tool you can afford.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I was buying a "el cheapo" AR-15, I'd buy the Ruger. Why, because RUGER builds guns that just WORK!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
non feeding is almost always a mag or ammo issue.. .just saying....

Of course I can take the cheapest AR out there, shoot it some, figure out what if anything is wrong, possibly replace a few small parts, BCG at the worst generally, and almost always, almost, have a reliable gun.

That said I don't shoot ball ammo, though I do have a bit of a stash of LC and FNM from years past when it was cheaper... just in case... but normally shooting GOOD ammo eliminates a ton of possible issues.

CHL is pretty well spot on about Ruger quality these days....I'd never buy one, but thats a personal issue as you all know.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i bought an anderson. shoots good and functions good

FJB
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have an Oracle upper and it shoots sub MOA with 50 grain Hornady V Max handloads and about MOA with 55 grain Hornady SPs (5 shot groups). When I bought it, I was gambling on accuracy. I wanted a light predator rifle and it qualified, so I grabbed the upper on sale from Midway. The accuracy really surprised me. I am happy with my choice. Eventually I will replace the hand guard with something more streamlined, but for now it works.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Tracy

Three to five inch groups probably says more about the shooter and the ammo than the gun.
Benched or off-hand? Open sights or scoped? 55 gr. FMJ, or decent hunting/ target ammo?

That being said, I think you could do better.

The Oracle has a lightweight pencil barrel, an extra heavy handgaurd (Glacier Gaurd), and a gas block rail that is lower than the receiver rail, making it pretty worthless.

If you want a relatively light plinker to put a red dot or low power scope on, it would serve.

It would be scoped with a 2 to 7 power and I would shoot factory ammo and hand loads. I have bolt action varmit rifles that shoot into the .3's at 100 yards so I can hold a group off the bench

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am unfamiliar with them, I just want the best bang for my buck, pun intended wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With the scope cranked up and decent handloads I would expect 1 to 1.5 moa.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I am unfamiliar with them, I just want the best bang for my buck, pun intended wink
See Rockchucker's post above. He knows his stuff and is a straight shooter.

I'd go with the Anderson. And though I have more than I need, I might pull the trigger on one for fun, too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
go to palmetto state and buy one of their blem complete lowers for $149.95 on sale.
go to primary arms or delta tactical and buy the best complete upper in your price range.
i have 4 now in different calibers i have done that way and none have cost me over 600. and all will shoot 1.5 or less at 100.
the palmetto triggers can use a little polish but aren't terrible.
over time you can upgrade the fire control group.

Last edited by deerstalker; 08/22/16.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Tracy

Buy the first AR you see in your price range.

They ain't gettin' cheaper.

Dave
Dave's right on this one. Expect to see this stuff go up after the election.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Buy a good one, cry over the price but never the quality. LOL. Let's also say I have seen more than one and less than 100! Plus I have built a few! Today at the range a guy could not get his SW sport to feed M193 from a magpul magazine. Buy the best tool you can afford.
This goes without saying, but the OP did set a budget of $600.00. In stead of grilling him for that, why not make a meaningful contribution here? If you don't have experience with AR's in the $600.00 price range that's fine, but then don't comment on it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gophergunner
This goes without saying, but the OP did set a budget of $600.00. In stead of grilling him for that, why not make a meaningful contribution here? If you don't have experience with AR's in the $600.00 price range that's fine, but then don't comment on it.

You are both right, but at $600, the OP is already acknowledging that he may be getting into an accuracy issue that he doesn't want. I've owned several DPMS rifle that shot, and some that didn't, and very little idea which one was which until I got them on the range.

To the OP, at $600, you are going to get a functioning rifle. If you are comfortable with potentially wanting to swap out parts later, at more cost and some basic tools, then the Oracle will do. It may shoot just fine, and your are happy with it. If it doesn't, you are in for more money later, and that may fit in the budget better.

Remember, the AR is two halves, upper and lower. If the upper doesn't do what you want, sell it, and roll the money towards an upper that meets your needs.

But De-Flave pointed out, they are probably not getting any cheaper this year, and most likely going up in demand and price in the next 90 days.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/23/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am wanting groups in the 1.5" range or better.

I don't know what your target group size is for a group of <1.5".

If you're happy with 3 shots, then that's probably doable with FMJ, commercial, everyday ammo, some of the time

If you require 5 shot groups, every day all day, if you do your part, to be happy, then it gets a bit harder & the requirements for the equipment & the ammo go up.

If you need 10 shot groups, all day, every day, if you do your part, to be happy, it's doubtful than just any ole off the shelf gun and any ole off the shelf ammo will get you there, all of the time.

The point being, as AH64guy implied, in that $600 price range, uniformity & consistency from gun to gun to gun, gets a little iffy.

That's part of what you will get more of, generally, as the price goes up, especially in the consistency of the barrels..........fact of life is that the barrel is the heart of the rifle for accuracy & better, more consistent barrels cost more money than what is generally found on bottom end guns.

But every once in a while, you find a nugget........., more likely you don't

Probably more likely to get to where you want to be accuracy wise, by building a gun & using a more or less known source for the barrel/upper, than just buying a complete off the shelf low end gun.

JMHO, YMMV.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anderson or S&W M&P Sport II are the 2 I would recommend.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Another firm vote for Smith & Wesson

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Larry's Pawn online shop had DPMS Oracle's on sale for $488 yesterday. Not sure if they will be that price on Monday. I know it's not top of the line, but for the price, awful hard to beat.

Eddie

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by rost495
non feeding is almost always a mag or ammo issue.. .just saying....

Of course I can take the cheapest AR out there, shoot it some, figure out what if anything is wrong, possibly replace a few small parts, BCG at the worst generally, and almost always, almost, have a reliable gun.

That said I don't shoot ball ammo, though I do have a bit of a stash of LC and FNM from years past when it was cheaper... just in case... but normally shooting GOOD ammo eliminates a ton of possible issues.

CHL is pretty well spot on about Ruger quality these days....I'd never buy one, but thats a personal issue as you all know.

rost495, you seem to be one of the more credible sources on ARs and shooting them. I was just curious as to your experience with Ruger. I own one 77 and one AR of theirs, but never had to deal with their customer service.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 08/28/16.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Del-Ton

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Save a little more and buy a good one, you will not be happy with something cheap. Just my opinion.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I have an Oracle that I really like. I have a low power scope on it so I'm not sure what kind of groups it is capable of. It seems to shoot as well as my Dad's Colt does. It would certainly buy another of I were in the market for one.

I heard the PSA Freedom Rifle uses FN barrels

budsgunshop

palmettostatearmory

"The way that you wander is the way that you choose. ..."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking at a Davidson Defense upper, 16" 5.56 Match Stainless HBar Barrel 1-7 416R Stainless 10" Keymod Handguard Upper.

This is a match chamber? What is the pro and con on this chamber?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by deerstalker
go to palmetto state and buy one of their blem complete lowers for $149.95 on sale.
go to primary arms or delta tactical and buy the best complete upper in your price range.
i have 4 now in different calibers i have done that way and none have cost me over 600. and all will shoot 1.5 or less at 100.

Just checked... PSA- out of stock across the board for lowers of any kind. Kinda frustrating but that is the game these days... get in line and wait.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am looking at a Davidson Defense upper, 16" 5.56 Match Stainless HBar Barrel 1-7 416R Stainless 10" Keymod Handguard Upper.

This is a match chamber? What is the pro and con on this chamber?

556 is the chamber, (not match)
Match would be their description of their barrel. (I assume)

I think a 556 chamber is the best way to go.

A Wylde chamber is mo tighter for accuracy.

A 223 chamber closes the door to cheap military ammunition like the 55 grain XM193, so I would skip that option.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Just checked... PSA- out of stock across the board for lowers of any kind. Kinda frustrating but that is the game these days... get in line and wait.

I just ordered a lower from them:

PSA AR-15 BLEM Complete Lower Magpul MOE Edition - Olive Drab Green, No Magazine 77932130 1 $169.99

I put it in my cart a few days ago and it was still there, now I need to get the Assembled Upper Receiver

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just received a PA midlength, nitrided pencil barrel, m lock floated forearm upper for $369. Put it on a RRA lower, it is not as smooth as my RRA upper, the kids have been playing and I have not benched it yet. It does seem to be accurate enough for my needs, a pencil barrel carbine is probably not gonna set records. As soon as they have the MOE enhanced lowers available, I will buy two.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Are the PSA barrels nitrided on the inside of the bore also, or only the outside finish?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They are Nitrided inside and out.....Some Dumbass started that rumor!!!!!The whole barrel is Dipped or submerged in the salt bath which penetrates and case hardens the surface , It does not add to the surface like a coating or chrome lining!!!!!! Why would a company go to the trouble of plugging the barrel and only doing the outside. confused

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ok, I now have a $269.00 Assembled Upper Receiver on order from Davidson Defense, what do you guys think?

This upper features a stainless steel 416r ultra match spiral fluted barrel that has unmatched accuracy

also features a keymod 12" handguard to fit all of your accessories

1. AR-15 Davidson Defense Ultra Match 16" Stainless Steel Spiral Fluted 5.56 .223 Wylde Barrel 1:8 Twist

2. Anderson Mfg Forged Upper Receiver made of 7075 T6 Aluminum

3. Carbine length Gas System

4. Davidson Defense Gas Tube and Gas Block

5. ImI Forward Assist

6. Omega Mfg Dust Cover

7. Omega Mfg 12" Ultra Slim Keymod Handguard

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Good luck getting it....My son ordered some uppers from them back in the spring. They took 2 months to arrive and looked like chit!!!!!!

Everything on that upper except the barrel and upper receiver is made in China..I would have picked up a PSA Stainless Freedom upper myself for 209 Bucks and swapped out the Handguard for a Free Float Rail and had a all American made upper for just a few more bucks.

Good luck with it. The Uppers my son ordered from them shot 4 inch patterns!!! It does look nice with that fluted Barrel.

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 09/13/16.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought a $599.99 Ruger AR556. Accurate, not fussy ammo wise, and has functioned without a hiccup so far. Only drawback, is the factory trigger was horrible. I installed a $200 Giessle in it, which kinda shot the value aspect in the ass! blush

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akjeff
I bought a $599.99 Ruger AR556. Accurate, not fussy ammo wise, and has functioned without a hiccup so far. Only drawback, is the factory trigger was horrible. I installed a $200 Giessle in it, which kinda shot the value aspect in the ass! blush

Jeff

I canceled the Assembled Upper Receiver from Davidson Defense after what I was told about there was time and accuracy. Thinking about just getting a ruger now.

Or may get this Assembled Upper Receiver, what do you guys think?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...dom-upper-no-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend with the S and W who likes it.

If you decide you want to spend more for an accurate rifle that already has an awesome trigger, floated quality barrel, solid mounts, etc., here is my shameless plug for one I just posted in the classifieds:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11438516/AR-15__Seekins,_Rock,_SLR,_BCM#Post11438516

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just got this in the mail and it looked like something was missing? I need a BCG and a CHARGING HANDLE! Dho.....That's what I get for not reading everything on the page wink

What do you guys suggest? And I still want the best bang for the buck.

Tracy

Last edited by nimrodtracy; 09/23/16.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
And I thought a Assembled Upper Receiver was all I needed....lol.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
PSA has there nickle boron bolt on sale this weekend with free shipping for 109....Any mil spec charging Handle will do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just got this in the mail and it looked like something was missing? I need a BCG and a CHARGING HANDLE! Dho.....That's what I get for not reading everything on the page wink

What do you guys suggest? And I still want the best bang for the buck.

Tracy

Give us a range report after you get it together.
I've been eying that same upper for a build for my son.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y

More often than not, "complete" AR uppers don't come with charge handles or the BCG. Of course, you know that now!

Some guys talk bad about them, but I've been using a bunch of PSA's premium bolt carrier groups and have really good results with them, no complaints at all.

I just put together another cheap one last night for a spare, with parts and a complete upper from PSA's labor day sales. They had a premium bcg and 120rds of XM193 ammo for $99; added that to a complete upper with lower kit for $259. Even with shipping, I'm into the complete rifle now for ~$450, minus a rear sight.

I really don't like the lower I used from Tennessee Arms, but that's a different story.

Last edited by Yondering; 09/23/16.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Yondering

More often than not, "complete" AR uppers don't come with charge handles or the BCG. Of course, you know that now!

Some guys talk bad about them, but I've been using a bunch of PSA's premium bolt carrier groups and have really good results with them, no complaints at all.

I just put together another cheap one last night for a spare, with parts and a complete upper from PSA's labor day sales. They had a premium bcg and 120rds of XM193 ammo for $99; added that to a complete upper with lower kit for $259. Even with shipping, I'm into the complete rifle now for ~$450, minus a rear sight.

I really don't like the lower I used from Tennessee Arms, but that's a different story.

I have it all together now, it was simple. Now to the range.....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do you like Ram Jam Black Betty? Not much of a test but the music is good. Smith sport seems to work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IeufDMHFdM

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Range Report: I mounted a 3 to 9 Burris fullfield II on my new AR and went to the range today. At 100 yards I got some decent groups.

Federal gold medal match 69 sierra matchking HPBT shot like crap, 3.5" groups.

Federal American Eagle Red box 50 gr HP, 1.2" groups.

Generic 55 gr spitzer (don't know the ammo brand, were given to me), 1.4" groups.

Winchester 55 gr power points, 0.9" groups

This was a average of three groups per ammo and were three shot per groups.

I do want a free float forend because this AR shot better when the front rest was on the bags close to the receiver.

Last edited by nimrodtracy; 10/03/16.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I guess no one saw this range report?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Picked up a S&W Sport II for $629.

Came with a Magpul 30

Seems to be a good basic AR

Read a report comparing it to the Ruger and they preferred the S&W.

plus they said the S&W comes with a lifetime warranty? I'll have to check. I haven't sent in the paperwork on it yet.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
btw, what should I expect to pay for a case of surplus equivalent .223?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been selling Del-Ton Echo 316M (A2 front sight, rear flip up) for $565.

Kelly
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (1lesfox, 10ring1, 160user, 06hunter59, 16penny, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,740 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,565
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.